nVidia's Tom Petersen raises a good point in AMD vs GameWorks issue

source: https://youtu.be/2Fi1QHhdqV4?t=1h14m35s@1H14M

he basically said this: if you are able to deliver a driver week(s)/month(s) later, for The Witcher 3, then you could've done that driver day 1 .. you just didn't!

---

and he is right! if AMD would've invested time into optimizing the drivers for TW3 and have it ready at launch, like they did with GTA5 for example, the whole issue would've not existed in the 1st place

GTA5 is a GameWorks title and yet you haven't heard a peep from AMD, they even had a day 1 driver - what exactly prevented them to invest the same time and resources into Project CARS and TW3, because in the end, they did release a optimized driver for these games

even more damning, is the fact "the fix" originated in the community and later spread by AMD 

_id1432199232_343178.jpg

GameWorks was a "black box" before and still remained a "black box" when the optimized drivers were ready  <_<

in the end, it's not a matter of AMD doesn't have access to it, rather a matter of AMD's willing to provide proper support to their customers

I pointed this out a couple of times.

AMD (specifically Richard Huddy and whomever else) always complains about Gameworks being "unoptimizable" on their video cards yet they release drivers for the game that increases their performance for the games.

Now, they say "Gameworks is unoptimizable for our cards" and they're semi-right, but they're saying it as if Gameworks is blocking them from optimizing their drivers for the games period, which just isn't the case at all.

I have tried explaining this many times, just like many other members on this forum who are level-headed about this "issue", yet it's like talking to a brick wall.

games should not be developed so that graphics makers HAVE to go and release drivers just for a game, devs should do their best to optimise for any hardware. Do any inde games get special drivers, no, and they work hard at making their games look the best and keeping them optimised.

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

games should not be developed so that graphics makers HAVE to go and release drivers just for a game, devs should do their best to optimise for any hardware. Do any inde games get special drivers, no, and they work hard at making their games look the best and keeping them optimised.

Yes they do.

Witcher and Project Cars are indie titles, for example.

And you can bet your bottom toppers that Star Citizen will get an official driver on launch day.

he basically said this: if you are able to deliver a driver week(s)/month(s) later, for The Witcher 3, then you could've done that driver day 1 .. you just didn't!

---

and he is right!

Not when they don't have the final code to work with.

Witcher and Project Cars are indie titles, for example.

Indie title? Well okay, maybe the first Witcher game. Definitely not the second one, let alone the third.

Going by this logic, AMD did it solely to stir up shit with gullible people so they can act like the victim. Which I believe that they did.

It took what? 12 hours after release to provide a fix for everyone?  :rolleyes:

Let the shitstorm begin! If you disagree with my opinion, good for you! I don't care.

Of course AMD did it to stir shit up, that's business and one of AMD's main strategies.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Of course AMD did it to stir shit up, that's business and one of AMD's main strategies.

Because they can't provide anything in terms of products because of idiotic business decisions. I'm betting that Intel is biding their time for when AMD dies so they can step up to compete with Nvidia.

If you can get off your fanboy horse one instant, let me tell you it's the developers' responsibility to optimize their games for graphics cards based on the drivers available, not the GPU manufacturer's responsibility. Yet GPU manufacturers keep having to do it because of the sheer amount of programming incompetency in the game development mileu.

Well consumers want their games quickly. We'll get them quickly, but they'll perform like ass until the GPU manufacturers poop out some quick optimizations.

Indie title? Well okay, maybe the first Witcher game. Definitely not the second one, let alone the third.

They're 100% indie titles.

Day 1 drivers are stupid to begin with, there should not be any need to optimize drivers for every game. I must be 3 or 4 versions of nvidia drivers back and I don't care, tired of all the updates. I don't need cpu, motherboard, audio, etc. drivers that need to be updated all the time, after a while, drivers should be mature and not need to be updated nearly as often.

Uhhh GTA V being a "gameworks" title? GTA V was a neutral title with input from both sides and soft shadow tech from both sides. The example of GTA V is not applicable at all to his argument.

Even during the Witcher debacle AMD had a live stream talking about gameworks and used GTA V as an example of how they would like games to be like in the future.

Day 1 drivers are stupid to begin with, there should not be any need to optimize drivers for every game. I must be 3 or 4 versions of nvidia drivers back and I don't care, tired of all the updates. I don't need cpu, motherboard, audio, etc. drivers that need to be updated all the time, after a while, drivers should be mature and not need to be updated nearly as often.

The voice of reason.

They're 100% indie titles.

They're obviously and unambiguously AAA titles. It's a major developer that develops its own game engines and is backed by a mother company with its own game distribution service.

Uhhh GTA V being a "gameworks" title? GTA V was a neutral title with input from both sides and soft shadow tech from both sides. The example of GTA V is not applicable at all to his argument.

Even during the Witcher debacle AMD had a live stream talking about gameworks and used GTA V as an example of how they would like games to be like in the future.

You're right. I forgot about AMD's shadow tech being in GTA myself. OP should update.

Uhhh GTA V being a "gameworks" title? GTA V was a neutral title

and yet, it's a GameWorks title, AMD was high and mighty that GameWorks prevents them to optimize the drivers

so .. which is it ?!developer's fault? AMD's own fault? nVidia's ? perhaps they should blame Intel .. just in case  :lol:

They're obviously and unambiguously AAA titles. It's a major developer that develops its own game engines and is backed by a mother company with its own game distribution service.

They're still indie developers no matter how you wanna spin it.

I'm not going to go through the entire list of games that are in Nvidia's drivers, but I bet you my jar of nutella that there's plenty of them on that list.

One problem is that GameWorks titles are in the hands of AMD's driver developers for less time prior to launch. Doesn't GTA V have some AMD features built in too? That might explain why they were able to get drivers out fast for that. 

Take Far Cry 4 for example, Ubisoft's code prevented AMD from enabling their crossfire profile for months after release, and the finger can't be pointed at the latter for that.

and yet, it's a GameWorks title, AMD was high and mighty that GameWorks prevents them to optimize the drivers

so .. which is it ?!developer's fault? AMD's own fault? nVidia's ? perhaps they should blame Intel .. just in case  :lol:

It should also be noted that it has AMD shadows in it as well. Simply saying that it's a Gameworks title implies AMD didn't have anything put into it, which they did.

One problem is that GameWorks titles are in the hands of AMD's driver developers for less time prior to launch. Doesn't GTA V have some AMD features built in too? That might explain why they were able to get drivers out fast for that. 

Take Far Cry 4 for example, Ubisoft's code prevented AMD from enabling their crossfire profile for months after release, and the finger can't be pointed at the latter for that.

Having a proprietary effect in a game does not magically make game optimizations easier.