Can Nvidia be trusted regarding 980ti's vram specs

maizenblue

Does anything think Nvidia might try to pull another 970 with the 980 ti and mislead people about the card's VRAM? The 980 ti is apparently a cut down Titan X, as the 970 was a cut down 980, so I'll be curious to see if Nvidia dares try the same thing again regarding their VRAM specs.

The 980 ti has half as much VRAM as the TitanX so I doubt that will be the case, but I don't doubt Nvidia would do the exact same thing they did with another card they did with the 970, as the 970 is still to this day advertised as a 4 GB card.

And before some Nvidia fanboys throw a fit, yes I know technically you can claim the 970 has 4 GB of VRAM, but over half a gig of that VRAM is so crippled as to be completely useless in modern games.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

If you're uncertain, just wait for reviews, I'm sure lots of people would like to check that, especially after the 970gate.

"970gate" is one of the most retarded things I've ever said in my entire life and I apologize.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Well the 980 Ti is speculated to be a cut-down Titan X, so I doubt anyone's going to complain.

I'm fairly certain not everyone at Nvidia even knew about the 970's RAM at its release.

And they sure are going to test it this time, so yeah.

And 100% of the reviewers will test it

But we don't even know really anything about the 980 Ti

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I don't think Nvidia would be that dumb, but stranger things have happened.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

I think there is a nVidia internal note to the engineers which states:

Screw up the VRam on the next card and you're all fired.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

as the 970 is still to this day advertised as a 4 GB card.

the 970 to this day IS a 4gb card.

people forget that this isn't the only graphics card to have two memory pools. my beloved 660 ti has a 1.5 GB RAM pool and a .5 gb RAM pool that is slower, and it makes up 25% of the total RAM, a lot more than the 12.5% of the 970, and nobody complained about that.

the card you get is the way that it is, and has the performance that it has. I don't believe we should hang a company because we don't like the reason that a card performs the way that it does. unless NVidia were to actually claim a card had 4GB of memory when it really had 3.5, they didn't do anything wrong, it just happens to be the way that they cut down the 980 to create the 970.

I also don't think the 980 ti will have any memory issues, I think it will be slightly locked down core with half the RAM, but until it is properly announced, it's all speculation.

If they made the same mistake again... They'll never hear the end of it. If you think the 970 issue was bad, a 980ti vram issue would kill them. I can imagine: "Nvidia is trying to force slow RAM down our throats just to save a buck" and "Screw them, they're ruining the industry with inferior products and ripoffs, AMD4Lyfe"

I don't do signatures.

Does anything think Nvidia might try to pull another 970 with the 980 ti and mislead people about the card's VRAM? The 980 ti is apparently a cut down Titan X, as the 970 was a cut down 980, so I'll be curious to see if Nvidia dares try the same thing again regarding their VRAM specs.

The 980 ti has half as much VRAM as the TitanX so I doubt that will be the case, but I don't doubt Nvidia would do the exact same thing they did with another card they did with the 970, as the 970 is still to this day advertised as a 4 GB card.

And before some Nvidia fanboys throw a fit, yes I know technically you can claim the 970 has 4 GB of VRAM, but over half a gig of that VRAM is so crippled as to be completely useless in modern games.

yes they can

My Personal PC 'Apex' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/LiamBetts123/saved/3rTNnQ

Intel Core i9 9900k, ASUS Z390-A, RTX 2080TI, Meshify C, HX 850i, 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHZ, 500GB NVME, 500GB SSD & 2 x 4TB Baracudas 

Nvidia got on Reddit, Twitter, everywhere for Ramgate, all explaining how bad they are.

Everyone heard of the BS.

Why would Nvidia WANT DO THAT AGAIN?

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

The reason I'm speculating Nvidia could try the same thing again is the fact they never did really apologize or own up to the VRAM thing, only to admitting that the card had less SMMs or whatever it was they disabled than their specs stated it had. They still to this day maintain the card has 4 GB of VRAM and advertise it as such, so I'm not so sure they wouldn't attempt the same thing again if they felt it would give them a percieved edge over an AMD card that had less VRAM on paper.

Yes reviewers will likely make sure the cards stated VRAM isn't crippled at all, and Nvidia would PROBABLY not want the negative publicity that would go along with reviewers discovering they did it again, BUT we are assuming everyone who buys Nvidia's cards obsess over such details, when a lot of people outside of forums like this probably don't.

If Nvidia did it AGAIN, they(and their fanboys) would again probably claim the benchmarks show what the card can do so its a non issue, and state that the card does "technically" have X amount of VRAM(even if some of it is gimped).

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

The reason I'm speculating Nvidia could try the same thing again is the fact they never did really apologize or own up to the VRAM thing, only to admitting that the card had less SMMs or whatever it was they disabled than their specs stated it had. They still to this day maintain the card has 4 GB of VRAM and advertise it as such, so I'm not so sure they wouldn't attempt the same thing again if they felt it would give them a percieved edge over an AMD card that had less VRAM on paper.

Yes reviewers will likely make sure the cards stated VRAM isn't crippled at all, and Nvidia would PROBABLY not want the negative publicity that would go along with reviewers discovering they did it again, BUT we are assuming everyone who buys Nvidia's cards obsess over such details, when a lot of people outside of forums like this probably don't.

If Nvidia did it AGAIN, they(and their fanboys) would again probably claim the benchmarks show what the card can do so its a non issue, and state that the card does "technically" have X amount of VRAM(even if some of it is gimped).

^^ THIS!!

Bear in mind that nVidia does sponsor some of the reviewers out there, so I wouldn't be surprised that if they do find an issue they will just skimp around and say 'oh we found this-that to be a bit slow, but overall its a great card compared to -insert nVidia top tier card here (like they did with the Titan,780and 780Ti)-, blah-blah, price-to-performance, blah-blah'.

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD