Apple to stop repair support for old or vintage devices

Several Apple products, including iPhones and Macs, will no longer receive repair support and service this June. According to a document obtained by 9to5mac, Apple is planning to switch some products to 'obsolete' or 'vintage' status next month.

Any product in 'obsolete' status no longer receives service or repair support through Apple retail stores or authorized service products (they are not eligible for repair whatsoever). Obsolete products are those there were discontinued more than seven years ago. The 'vintage' status products are those that have not been manufactured for more than five years, but less than seven. 'Vintage' products are only eligible for repair and service in California and Turkey.

The iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS will become obsolete in Asia, Pacific, Canada, EU, Japan, Latin America, and all Apple Retail stores. Both iPhones will become 'Vintage' in the US, where applicable. The original iPhone will also lose its vintage status in the US and become obsolete.

Some Macs will also become obsolete including the iMac (Mid 2007), the 15-inch MacBook Pro (2.4/2.2GHZ) and the 17-inch MacBook Pro (2.4GHZ). The Airport Express base station, Xserve (Late 2006), and Xserve (SFP, Late 2004).

You can check out the entire list of products that will become obsolete and vintage below:

iPhone (Obsolete in AP/CN/EU/JP/LA and Apple Retail stores, vintage in U.S.)

● iPhone 3G

● iPhone 3G (China)

● iPhone 3GS

● iPhone 3GS (China)

iPhone (Obsolete in AP/CN/EU/JP/LA/U.S. and Apple Retail stores)

Original iPhone

Macs (Obsolete in AP/CN/EU/JP/LA/U.S. and Apple Retail stores)

● MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid-2009)

● iMac (20-inch, Mid 2007)

● iMac (24-inch, Mid 2007)

● MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2.4/2.2GHZ)

● MacBook Pro (17-inch, 2.4GHZ)

Other:

● AirPort Express Base Station

● Xserve (Late 2006)

● Xserve RAID (SFP, Late 2004)

These products will move to their new statuses on June 9, 2015. Apple will continue to offer support by phone for AppleCare customers.

Source: http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=49178

This is to be expected really, can't go on repairing ancient devices forever. Though that 2009 Macbook Pro... It isn't as old as the others, why drop support so soon for that one? Guess it falls under the 'vintage' status but still...

Fucking wankers.

Don't some companies still do repairs on technology from the 90s?

But its an Apple product so you never have to worry about it breaking. You can always trust the apple logo 

/s

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

An apple user being seen with a 5 year old device? Imagine the shame.

To be fair to apple, how long do you expect them to stock parts for obsolete models? How much luck would you have getting a 5 year old Samsung phone repaired? Or even 5 year old windows laptops will have lots of no longer stocked parts in them. For the macs you will be able to take them elsewhere to be repaired, and who the hell bothers repairing a 5 year old phone anyway?

To be fair to apple, how long do you expect them to stock parts for obsolete models? How much luck would you have getting a 5 year old Samsung phone repaired? Or even 5 year old windows laptops will have lots of no longer stocked parts in them. For the macs you will be able to take them elsewhere to be repaired, and who the hell bothers repairing a 5 year old phone anyway?

I recently wanted to repair my 8 year old laptop. Found the parts easily, but they would have costed more than I could sell the entire laptop for, so I didn't do it.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Well I did say that this was logical in the OP. So yeah, I agree.

good luck getting your 6 year old asus, dell, lenovo or whatever repaired at an official store

And who here said that you could?...???

And who here said that you could?...???

hardcore apple haters will ;) This is only reasonable, i didnt even expect them to still be offering any kind of support for <3GS

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

good luck getting your 6 year old asus, dell, lenovo or whatever repaired at an official store

Yea but its easier to circle jerk about how Apple is bad, mmmmkay? 

God forbid Apple finally stop offering support and carrying parts for older equipment. The nerve of them, I tell you. 

They just recenty stopped reparing the 3G? LOL Who the hell gets that repaired? Who the hell has a 3G? Why did apple continue to repair that crap? Its good that they stopped lol

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

Who would take such old stuff to the overpriced apple center anyways,get cheap parts from ebay/china and get a techie to repair it for cheap.

Wat.....i just started to use my iPhone 3G.....had to downgrade from a Note 3 to a iPhone 3G.

Wat.....i just started to use my iPhone 3G.....had to downgrade from a Note 3 to a iPhone 3G.

But it isn't a problem if your 3G doesn't break. :P

Who would take such old stuff to the overpriced apple center anyways,get cheap parts from ebay/china and get a techie to repair it for cheap.

Peace of mind? 

Not everyone wants to save 20 bucks just to gamble the rest. Sometimes paying more and knowing you're covered is a better alternative. I can buy a iPhone 6 replacement screen for around 70 dollars and then get it done elsewhere OR I can pay 110 to Apple, get it done on the spot, and then have it warrantied by them. 

Not a stretch to see why people still go to the OEM to get work done, especially Apple who has a physical retail presence to handle these issues unlike most brands on the market. 

But it isn't a problem if your 3G doesn't break. :P

Dude, it's badly beat up. Only 1 speaker works, back is scratched, side of the screen is messed up. 

Peace of mind? 

Not everyone wants to save 20 bucks just to gamble the rest. Sometimes paying more and knowing you're covered is a better alternative. I can buy a iPhone 6 replacement screen for around 70 dollars and then get it done elsewhere OR I can pay 110 to Apple, get it done on the spot, and then have it warrantied by them. 

Not a stretch to see why people still go to the OEM to get work done, especially Apple who has a physical retail presence to handle these issues unlike most brands on the market. 

I see your point considering those who buy apple are too "HIP" to save money.

Dude, it's badly beat up. Only 1 speaker works, back is scratched, side of the screen is messed up. 

In that case you have until June as stated by article.

I see your point considering those who buy apple are too "HIP" to save money.

You forgot the /s right?..

In that case you have until June as stated by article.

Nah man, like i would pay 200+ to fix my iPhone 3G when i can get a better phone at that price. 

Nah man, like i would pay 200+ to fix my iPhone 3G when i can get a better phone at that price. 

Fair point, but would a repair for a 3G be 300+ dollars? I don't think it's that expensive at all.

"Wow Apple, way to stop supporting the iPhone 3GS. I bought it 6 years ago, how can I buy something with confidence if you're barely going to support it?"

If you could see the sarcasm, congrats. You understand logic.

"Wow Apple, way to stop supporting the iPhone 3GS. I bought it 6 years ago, how can I buy something with confidence if you're barely going to support it?"

If you could see the sarcasm, congrats. You understand logic.

For real, the only way you're gonna get 6 years of hardware support is if you pay for a enterprise level protection plan a la what DelL and others offer to their business customers. 

6 years of knowing you can walk into a store and get it fixed is pretty damn impressive, even if it isn't economical to pay to fix that old a device. 

Fair point, but would a repair for a 3G be 300+ dollars? I don't think it's that expensive at all.

It could be, because of no warranty and rarer parts.