Apple to stop repair support for old or vintage devices

It could be, because of no warranty and rarer parts. 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4944224

From 2013, the 3GS was 99 dollars for the front assembly one comment says. (at the time of that comment of course so 2013)

An apple user being seen with a 5 year old device? Imagine the shame.

To be fair to apple, how long do you expect them to stock parts for obsolete models? How much luck would you have getting a 5 year old Samsung phone repaired? Or even 5 year old windows laptops will have lots of no longer stocked parts in them. For the macs you will be able to take them elsewhere to be repaired, and who the hell bothers repairing a 5 year old phone anyway?

I can easily crack open a windows laptop from 2007, search around ebay for the parts I need and get it back working. It is more trouble than what the thing is worth most of the time but depending on your patience and luck on ebay you can do it. Apple afaik intentionally makes their stuff harder to crack open and repair though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Nah man, like i would pay 200+ to fix my iPhone 3G when i can get a better phone at that price.

actually out of warranty service for iPhones 4 and earlier is $149.

And chances are high, that you get a refurbished unit with new case and battery ... if you are really lucky and they don't have a 3G on hand, they might even give you a 3GS or 4 ...

Still not really worth it for a 3G ...

____

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

also if it is not totally broken, chances are high, that you will get a refurbished unit when doing a battery replacement for $79

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Does this mean that my macbook will become a 'vintage' after 5years time with no repair available and they expect me to buy a new one by then? How dare they do that. I must go make another thread and inform others on how bad Apple treat their customers.

/slut

On a side note,why only California and Turkey for the vintage repair?

actually out of warranty service for iPhones 4 and earlier is $149.

And chances are high, that you get a refurbished unit with new case and battery ... if you are really lucky and they don't have a 3G on hand, they might even give you a 3GS or 4 ...

Still not really worth it for a 3G ...

____

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

149............bought my 3G for 40 bucks.

149............bought my 3G for 40 bucks.

you most certainly didn't pay 40 bucks for an iPhone in almost mint condition with a new battery ...

most likely so they don't have to keep stock of replacement parts all over the world.

if somehting breaks in Europe -> send it to turkey

if something breaks in the US -> send it to california

if something breaks in the rest of the world -> you are really fucked (by Apple)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

you most certainly didn't pay 40 bucks for an iPhone in almost mint condition with a new battery ...

most likely so they don't have to keep stock of replacement parts all over the world.

if somehting breaks in Europe -> send it to turkey

if something breaks in the US -> send it to california

if something breaks in the rest of the world -> you are really fucked (by Apple)

Yeah, iPhone is beat up. At least it still works :D

Does this mean that my macbook will become a 'vintage' after 5years time with no repair available and they expect me to buy a new one by then? How dare they do that. I must go make another thread and inform others on how bad Apple treat their customers.

/slut

Holy shit, the level of mad.

Did I say it's bad that they do this? No, but I did indeed say that the MacBook from 2009 wasn't that old compared to the other products.

But sure son, get madder because I dared to say something, the nerve, ugh.

Though that 2009 Macbook Pro... It isn't as old as the others, why drop support so soon for that one? Guess it falls under the 'vintage' status but still...

I'd assume that it's too difficult for them to get a supply of replacement parts for the 17" model

"Rawr XD"

I'd assume that it's too difficult for them to get a supply of replacement parts for the 17" model

Well okay, sounds like that's possible.

Those of you complaining, please tell me you're not serious? Cause tell me how many Android OEMs or Windows PC OEMs would continue to support a device older than 5 years? Yeah you can sometimes get drivers, but good luck getting a replacement screen or a new motherboard from the manufacturer. I think Apple is more than fair with this, they have trade ins on their phones in most areas that make getting a new phone cheaper, and to continue to support a device for longer than the usual 1 or 2 years you might get from Samsung for example is pretty awesome.

Is it perfect? Hell no, but 7 years is a hell of a long time to support something that will cost more money to support than Apple could ever hope to make back from it.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Oh come on now, why is this even news? It's probably more because they can't find the components anymore, or they are too expensive to buy than not caring about older devices (mind you they support very old macbooks with OS X updates). It is totally understandable...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Holy shit, the level of mad.

Did I say it's bad that they do this? No, but I did indeed say that the MacBook from 2009 wasn't that old compared to the other products.

But sure son, get madder because I dared to say something, the nerve, ugh.

nah mate. You missed the /slut @ sarcasm tag. I just thought it was funny someone thought /s meant slut.lol Just trying to make fun of some people who are actually mad with Apple because of this.

But I can actually see myself using my current rmbp for more than 4 years because I'm a careful guy. I did manage to keep my old aspire laptop running perfectly for almost 5 years anyway back in the old vista days.

I see your point considering those who buy apple are too "HIP" to save money.

Perception is the only difference between those who spend wisely and those who are suckered into a trend. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm surprised they didn't stop repairs earlier. Then again Apple support is top notch so kudos.