AMD Wants To Stop Being Known As The “Cheaper Solution”

zappian

amd-640x480.jpg

If you were to take a look at the high-end gaming rigs, both desktop and laptop, you’ll notice that they all have one thing in common – Intel processors. In fact if you were to shop for a budget laptop or PC, you will find that sometimes these PC OEMs will offer up AMD processors to help make their products cheaper.
However it seems that AMD has had enough and wants to stop being known as the “cheaper solution” in the eyes of the public and wants to be known for its high-end and high-performance chipsets instead. According to the company’s CEO Lisa Su, how they will achieve this is through a high-investment in the x86 field.

My Take on this :

So AMD wants to pull all the stops and become the next enthusiast platform for high end chips.

I dont doubt that their mid-end chips will be good bargains in the zen age but I am not sure they have what it takes ( or deep enough pockets ) to beat

intel.

Maybe if samsung did partnert with them / adquire them it would be more likely.

This doesn't seem all to likely...

I haven't been keeping up with AMD hardware but i haven't heard anything that i should be blown away by.

I hope they do step up their game, it's always nice to have competition.

I might even switch back to the red side D:

While I commend AMD for wanting to be better, I think it'd be pretty hard to compete with Intel.

They should focus on the low-mid end market, then get the high end, you can't start climbing a mountain at the top of it

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

This doesn't seem all to likely...

I haven't been keeping up with AMD hardware but i haven't heard anything that i should be blown away by.

I hope they do step up their game, it's always nice to have competition.

I might even switch back to the red side D:

Does that mean a new profile picture? ;)

Restore the glory of the original Athlon era. Name it Zenthlon, please AMD :P

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

They'll still be the cheaper option I guess?

xD

I'm going to put a link to my PC specs which actually aren't my PC specs and I cry myself to sleep everyday so I can have these PC specs but I can't afford these PC specs so PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs PC specs.

Maybe match the efficiency and performance of your competitors instead of just adding more cores that most games can't make use of? Maybe stop with the whole APU thing because it's exactly what you don't want to be known as, a cheaper solution with less performance?

Dunno...maybe try....all of those things.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

amd-640x480.jpg

My Take on this :

So AMD wants to pull all the stops and become the next enthusiast platform for high end chips.

I dont doubt that their mid-end chips will be good bargains in the zen age but I am not sure they have what it takes ( or deep enough pockets ) to beat

intel.

Maybe if samsung did partnert with them / adquire them it would be more likely.

I think if samsung bought them it could be bad, desktop processors could be completely forgotten about and all concentration turned toward mobile stuff

CPU-i5 4690k 4.4ghz @ 1.190V, MOBO-MSI z97 gaming 3, Cooler-hyper 212 evo, GPU- r9 290x asus directcuII (-37Mv), Storage-120gb v300(switching soon), 1tb caviar blue, CASE-Red/black h440, PSU-Antec TPC 650.

I'd like to see them become competitive with the high end solutions while maintaining that cheap solution status. Nothing wrong with being cheap, but at least have some more presence in the higher end cpu market. Think the cheaper solution would also help become move into their chips instead of going with the more well known intel.

If they want to become a high end chip they're going to need to skip-jump a few generations forward to get their IPC in the same cosmos as Intel chips.

Part of the reason I'll never recommend an AMD CPU for a gaming machine is an abhorrent single-core performance or IPC when compared to Intel's Haswell. Maybe if Windows 10's DirectX 12 allows games to 100% across the board convert to DX12 without hassle AND also at the same time offers 1-1 performance scaling for multi-core weak IPC chips for gaming. But that's a big if.

HydrOS (Waterworks 3.0) Pictures: // One // Two // Three

i7 5820k @ 4.3GHz (1.165v) // Asus X99-A // 16GB-DDR4 Vengeance 2400 CAS13 // RAID 0 Intel 730 240GB // Nvidia Titan X (+200Core +500Memory) // Swiftech D5 // ASUS ROG SWIFT

Maybe match the efficiency and performance of your competitors instead of just adding more cores that most games can't make use of? Maybe stop with the whole APU thing because it's exactly what you don't want to be known as, a cheaper solution with less performance?

Dunno...maybe try....all of those things.

APU and heterogeneous computing are the future, so why would they stop putting time and money into the best long term goal?

This shouldn't exactly suprise anyone, who would want to be known as second best?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

APU and heterogeneous computing are the future, so why would they stop putting time and money into the best long term goal?

I'll agree to that when they show greater actual performance than the current architecture, which I have not seen. Develop the technology by all means, but stop wasting money manufacturing it.

Well if they do increase instructions per clock by 40% like they said, their processors will be slightly ahead of the 4770k/4790k. That is using current 8 core FX CPUs as a model, which doesn't include the Hyper-threading of the Zen CPUs. Pretty much, their 8 core 16 thread CPUs are going to be monsters.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I think Zen would very much make that possible. If AMD can release a 6/8 core processor at the price of 4790k/5820K pricing, they would very much be able to conquer large market chunks from Intel. But if HSA will be utilized soon, in like Windows or even better, MS office, then I think we would see huge changes. AMD is already a part of the highend graphics market, though they should have more koth models. So this is mostly focused on the CPU side.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I think if samsung bought them it could be bad, desktop processors could be completely forgotten about and all concentration turned toward mobile stuff

Not likely. Samsung has the resources to give AMD a competing edge with Intel and Nvidia. So if they were to buy them out, it'd be dumb to just use AMD as a mobile processor designer.

Finally. 

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

That's what got them into this mess in the first place. I remember Rory Read saying something like, AMD isn't competing with Intel anymore in the CPU desktop race, and they began focusing on APUs, mobile devices, and lower end markets. Now they're in a hole.

Basically, they need to shoot for the highest they possibly can with Zen and hope for the best because if it blunders, AMD is going down unfortunately D:

But their APUs are not mid end and not comparable to mid end i5s

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

I think a better way Lisu Su could have said it is "AMD wants to be known as the high end solution". Being the cheaper solution for the same performance is a good thing.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Intel will give you the biddy, AMD.

-snip

Oh god, it has begun.

Still. AMD needs to get back into CPU's. The APU's are interesting, but if they can't make an APU that's equal to a 4690k with a half way decent GPU attached, then they'll remain just "the cheaper option"