iPhone case that "harvests" energy from the air.

Nineshadow

nikola-labs-1-762x428.png

The device will launch on crowdfunding site Kickstarter in about a month costing $99 (£65), and it will ship within four months.

Nikola Labs says the gadget converts radio frequencies into power which can boost your phone's charge.

It says phones typically waste around 90% of their energy by pushing out the ambient radio frequency needed for a mobile connection - energy which can be recaptured and used to power the phone for up to 30% longer.

The device will launch on crowdfunding site Kickstarter in about a month costing $99 (£65), and it will ship within four months.

The technology was developed by Ohio State University, which has licenced the technology to Nikola Labs.

The passive process continues for as long as the case is connected to the phone, and users do not have to stand within the vicinity of any special charging devices or antennas for it to work.

Nikola Labs co-founder Dr Rob Lee is respected in the field of electronics, suggesting the technology described is credible.

The Kickstarter listing is expected to detail how the technology works in more detail.

Dr Lee announced the device at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in New York.

SOURCE

Well...let's see if it's a real thing or just snake oil.

Edited by colonel_mortis
Fixed link

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Seems cool if it's legit. Now if they came out with this for Android phones they'd have a buyer in me :D

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Seems cool if it's legit. Now if they came out with this for Android phones they'd have a buyer in me :D

They probably would if there wasn't so many different android phones  ;)   

When and why did this whole 'hey, lets only make cool stuff for iphone'-thing start? >.<

Edit:

up to 30% + a HUGE case + possible affects on signal strength

____

NOPE

Oh yeah just realized, that thing is huge. Nah i prefer having a slimmer phone than 30% more batterylyf.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

They probably would if there wasn't so many different android phones  ;)   

I could imagine it happening for the flagship phones.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

When and why did this whole 'hey, lets only make cool stuff for iphone'-thing start? >.<

probably because it is the best selling phone?

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Oh yeah just realized, that thing is huge. Nah i prefer having a slimmer phone than 30% more batterylyf.

I don't mind a bit thicker phone ... but for UP to 30% this seams to be massive

up to 30% + a HUGE case + possible affects on signal strength

____

NOPE

If they could use wireless charging capabilities in their phone case for android or windows phones then it could be better. The sides would be slimmer but the back may be a bit thick.

There are also cases about that size that are an extra battery giving you a longer lasting phone as well.

I don't understand why people are like "I want a bigger phone with more battery rather than a slimmer phone with crappy battery", and then when something like this arrives, which makes their phone bigger in order to improve battery life, they complain that it's too big.

Make up your minds people!  :huh:

I don't understand why people are like "I want a bigger phone with more battery rather than a slimmer phone with crappy battery", and then when something like this arrives, which makes their phone bigger in order to improve battery life, they complain that it's too big.

Make up your minds people!  :huh:

because making the battery 30% higher in capacity wouldn't make the phone double the size

Edit:

For the first thing, when Apple made the iPod with 30 pin dock connector, pretty much

For the second, I'd honestly much rather pick up a battery case. Similar size, much better battery life extention

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

because making the battery 30% higher in capacity wouldn't make the phone double the size

Agreed, for this case it makes less sense, but isn't crazy, since it wouldn't need charging, and wouldn't ever go flat like a battery case would.

I see the same argument made on 2000mAh+ cases anyway.

It says phones typically waste around 90% of their energy by pushing out the ambient radio frequency needed for a mobile connection - energy which can be recaptured and used to power the phone for up to 30% longer.

K well Idk if anyone who made this case has a brain, but the most energy consuming part of your phone is the touchscreen. I mean unless you're a strange person who doesn't actually like to use your phone on a regular basis.

Snake oil to the max

Instead of reducing the signal strength of the cellular connection module we use a case to power the device a bit longer by its wasted energy.

Meh ... Just buy a battery bank . Much more effective ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Edit:

it easier for them since you only need to make maybe 3 -4 different types to keep up for each generation of iphones much harder for android when 2 different 5inch phones have different dimensions

not sold on this thing though sounds sort of like those crack chargerse that harvested ambient wifi signals a few years back

hm... I wonder how much energy this thing can actually harvest though. Just how much energy is released in RF in lets say an hour? Also how well does the device convert this energy to usable energy? 

I know jack sh*t about air+radio frequency=battery life so can't judge.

I just hope this concept of producing energy evolves so one day in the far future we won't need batteries :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Awesome tech! i'd love to see a review of this.... 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

You need to fix your source. It loops us back to this very page.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Ah yes, clearly all the radio waves your phone pumps out in order to remain connected to cellular, WiFi, and data networks are "wasted power" and should be stopped. Also, they should be stopped by letting them be released, then inefficiently converting them back into electricity rather than just turning them off.

I may be exaggerating, and it's possible that phones don't have internal capabilities to tune down their antennas (in other words, they have things going at MAX POWER just in case you get a low signal) so absorbing some of the signal wouldn't hurt unless you have a bad connection to begin with. On the other hand, I have had experience with my phone getting very hot and using battery quickly even in standby caused by having a poor connection, which makes me think that phones DO have the ability to turn down their antennas and that they often do so when the signal is good enough. Potentially, that would actually make this case REDUCE battery life since it would cause those times more frequently.

Then again, my phone is not an iPhone, so maybe it's an iPhone-specific thing that it uses? Regardless, the claim that 90% of a phone's battery usage goes toward the antenna is suspect, and almost certainly based on that phone going from full charge to empty without the screen being turned on once, and without any notifications etc.

Also, not an iPhone user so I couldn't buy it even if I wanted... which I don't. Especially since 30% won't change a one-day battery to a two-day battery, and its effectiveness (if any, and disregarding any potential side effects) varies so heavily depending on how you use it and you can't just carry one around with you then put it on when your phone gets low. So many downsides compared to normal battery cases.

Snake oil.

I couldn't have said it better.

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.