Software bug found in Boeing 787

Sources: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/44887/boeing-787-dreamliner-glitch-make-lose-power-faa-reports/index.html

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/05/boeings-dreamliner-has-a-bug-that-can-make-it-lose-all-power-mid-air/

Looks like Boeing's plane has encountered yet another problem. If exploding batteries weren't enough, this software bug has been found.

In testing labs at Boeing, it has been uncovered that if the aircraft has been left powered on for 248 days, the plane loses all power, mid-flight or not. Fortunately it is highly unlikely that aircraft are left powered on for that long, and the risk will remain hypothetical, but it does exist. The American Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has issued a warning reminding airlines to regularly power off their planes.

Quote: "Discovered by Boeing themselves in private testing circumstances (not real flight), this issue can occur if the aircraft is not powered down between trips"

Quote: "The bug was revealed by tests by the Boeing laboratory, thank god, and not by some real world accident. "

Personally I don't believe this is a huge deal, since airlines should be maintaining their planes (planes must obviously be powered off for maintenance). But obviously a patch couldn't hurt. Unfortunately, however I think this coupled with the number of other issues this plane has has really scarred Boeing's reputation.

44887_096_boeing-787-dreamliner-glitch-m

Part of the Q6600 club

Ok, prepare for landi-

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-

*BOOOOOOOMMMM*

rip people from software bug

I don't know why a plane would be on for that long...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Lol not the first time a problem like this has happened, i believe the 777-200 had a similar problem with shutoffs, it was fixed instantly.

What model does this relate to, the power systems are different between the -8 and -9 etc.

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

As a member of the Air Force, if the plane looses power there are alternatives to getting it restored. I can't talk numbers or details on my jet, but basically we can switch from the three generators to battery backup with the flip of a switch. You then can use the Bleed air pressure to restart the generators. 

I kind of doubt that a plane would be powered on for that long.  Seems a little bit insane.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Im amazed they actually found this problem...

did they have to wait 248 days with a plane powered on to figure out theres an issue?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Im amazed they actually found this problem...

did they have to wait 248 days with a plane powered on to figure out theres an issue?

Safety first I guess ... I think they have to test it for an amount of hours ( Ex 70.000+ hours )

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

I kind of doubt that a plane would be powered on for that long.  Seems a little bit insane.

If the aircraft is just doing a charter flight it will not power down at the airport. It will land, idle, refuel, and take off. Don't say we need to shut down the aircraft because that's not true. The flash point of jet fuel is very high IIRC (and it smells sweet).

Watch this video. This white plane is the RC-135 which is my plane. Pilot's seat is mighty comfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl4yTHUpbdo

USAF C17

Safety first I guess ... I think they have to test it for an amount of hours ( Ex 70.000+ hours )

Boeing has equipment simulators. Essentially a room on ground that they run all the same hardware and a fake gps track that the pseudo aircraft flies on. They can inject weather conditions and test and log the hardware. Boeing is not just a company that screws the plane together, they do much more.

Extra note... It's not exactly a simulator since the hardware and software is real, but it's kinda like a test rig.

As a member of the Air Force, if the plane looses power there are alternatives to getting it restored. I can't talk numbers or details on my jet, but basically we can switch from the three generators to battery backup with the flip of a switch. You then can use the Bleed air pressure to restart the generators. 

Gotta remember though that military jets especially have double and triple redundant systems at the least most of the times, if not always. A commercial airliner won't have nearly as many safeguards installed as it won't be expected to fly through flak, or enemy fire. Though, I'm certain they DO have some sort of system redundancy, just not one as laid-out or elaborate as that of a military grade vehicle.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

*Yell from cockpit Over battery powered intercom* Ladies and Gentlemen everything has shutdown due to a bug, hence me yelling and talking over the battery powered intercom. Luckily we are a plane so we have wings, we are going to try and glide to safety. *10 minutes later, still from the cockpit over battery powered intercom* Ladies and Gentlemen, the wings have snapped off... We suspect this is from a bug...

Build Modulus

[x] Intel Core i7 3770 [x] PNY xlr8 16gb(2x8) 1600mhz [x] Asus Strix 970 [x] Corsair h90, 3x corsair sp140, 1x Corsair af120 [x] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [x] NZXT S340 [x] EVGA superNOVA NEX 650w [x] Asus xonar DG,Beyerdynamic dt770 Pro (80ohms), PreSonus M7, PreSonus AudioBox [x] WASD keyboard 104 key(Mx Brown) [x] Corsair M65 RGB [x] WD Blue 1TB 7200 HDD, WD passport 1tb [x] Asus VN247H-P, BenQ 2420Z [x]

Cycling Gear

[x] Giant Defy 5 [x] CamelBak Classic 2L [x] Nishiki Socorro [x] Giro Bravo Blue Jewel/Black [x] Midland Xtra-Talk w/ Headset (For Group Rides) [x] Casio G-Shock G100-1BV [x] Zefal Saddle Bag [x] Giant Control Mini MTB+ Frame Pump [x] Schwinn Expanding Cage [x] 2* Giant 700c*25c Tubes - Presta Valve [x] 2* Tire Levers [x] Stanley Allen Key Set [x] Mini-Lock For Saddle Bag [x]

Gotta remember though that military jets especially have double and triple redundant systems at the least most of the times, if not always. A commercial airliner won't have nearly as many safeguards installed as it won't be expected to fly through flak, or enemy fire. Though, I'm certain they DO have some sort of system redundancy, just not one as laid-out or elaborate as that of a military grade vehicle.

Actually the aircraft I am on is a Boeing plane. It's just that the cabin is stripped that that's where the classified, secret, and top secret stuff is. It is still a Boeing 739-700. Our jets have the same skeleton as the 'commercial' ones.

Here is some information on the Boeing 747.

This aircraft has an APU (Auxillary Power Unit) which is more-or-less in the vertical stabilizer. This is a smaller jet engine which they can start to provide power to the jet without a airport supplied power cart if needed.

The jet also has two Integrated Drive Generators (IDG) also know as generators. They are in the actual engines themselves. They provide 115 VAC 400 Hz and that is sent to the BTB and can be coupled into the aircraft there. The batteries are also there as well. The flight deck equipment is in 28 vdc (from a transformer rectifier).

The only reason for two IDGs is for load sharing.

*Yell from cockpit* Ladies and Gentlemen everything has shutdown due to a bug, hence me yelling and not talking over the intercom. Luckily we are a plane so we have wings, we are going to try and glide to safety. *10 minutes later, still from the cockpit* Ladies and Gentlemen, the wings have snapped off... We suspect this is from a bug...

Interphone is on battery power. :P

Interphone is on battery power. :P

Shhh. No one needs to know *Goes to edit post*

Build Modulus

[x] Intel Core i7 3770 [x] PNY xlr8 16gb(2x8) 1600mhz [x] Asus Strix 970 [x] Corsair h90, 3x corsair sp140, 1x Corsair af120 [x] ASRock Z77 Extreme4 [x] NZXT S340 [x] EVGA superNOVA NEX 650w [x] Asus xonar DG,Beyerdynamic dt770 Pro (80ohms), PreSonus M7, PreSonus AudioBox [x] WASD keyboard 104 key(Mx Brown) [x] Corsair M65 RGB [x] WD Blue 1TB 7200 HDD, WD passport 1tb [x] Asus VN247H-P, BenQ 2420Z [x]

Cycling Gear

[x] Giant Defy 5 [x] CamelBak Classic 2L [x] Nishiki Socorro [x] Giro Bravo Blue Jewel/Black [x] Midland Xtra-Talk w/ Headset (For Group Rides) [x] Casio G-Shock G100-1BV [x] Zefal Saddle Bag [x] Giant Control Mini MTB+ Frame Pump [x] Schwinn Expanding Cage [x] 2* Giant 700c*25c Tubes - Presta Valve [x] 2* Tire Levers [x] Stanley Allen Key Set [x] Mini-Lock For Saddle Bag [x]

Actually the aircraft I am on is a Boeing plane. It's just that the cabin is stripped that that's where the classified, secret, and top secret stuff is. It is still a Boeing 739-700. Our jets have the same skeleton as the 'commercial' ones.

Here is some information on the Boeing 747.

This aircraft has an APU (Auxillary Power Unit) which is more-or-less in the vertical stabilizer. This is a smaller jet engine which they can start to provide power to the jet without a airport supplied power cart if needed.

The jet also has two Integrated Drive Generators (IDG) also know as generators. They are in the actual engines themselves. They provide 115 VAC 400 Hz and that is sent to the BTB and can be coupled into the aircraft there. The batteries are also there as well. The flight deck equipment is in 28 vdc (from a transformer rectifier).

The only reason for two IDGs is for load sharing.

Well then, I'll take your word for it. I don't know much about commercial to military conversion of aircraft and other various vehicles. My knowledge starts to taper off once you leave custom military designed vehicles. As i stated though, I was certain that commercial planes had some sort of fail-safe; just not to the extent of say an attack helicopter like one from the Apache family; which as quoted from the official description of the vehicle "... a substantially large number of redundancy systems..." Since actually giving out every redundant system would be quite, bad. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

If you're on final approach i highly doubt you can start an APU quick enough.. .Then again i'm not a pilot :P

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

If you're on final approach i highly doubt you can start an APU quick enough.. .Then again i'm not a pilot :P

You don't need electronics to fly the aircraft. The rudder, flaps, gear, etc and all be operated manually.

Don't you just love fly by wire? <_<

I fortunately haven't flown without power, but all my instructors have on deployments. One day.

Ok, prepare for landi-

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-

*BOOOOOOOMMMM*

rip people from software bug

I don't know why a plane would be on for that long...

it wouldn't.

i thought these kinds of planes use a backup turbine to power the basic functions of the plane

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

i thought these kinds of planes use a backup turbine to power the basic functions of the plane

There has to be a backup. I can't imagine it going through the design phase without multiple redundant systems.

There has to be a backup. I can't imagine it going through the design phase without multiple redundant systems.

there's a generator in each engine providing power, and if they all fail there is a small turbine that can be dropped that provide enough power for primary systems, the batteries are also usually capable of providing power to primary systems for a reasonable time as well. generally everything on a plane that is primary has 3 levels of redundancy

Best case scenario would have been to prevent this bug but definitely a relief that this was found by Boeing by simulation.