Paid Mod Complaints Have Cost Valve $1 Million

Artorias

Hey Valve, how about you implement actual support for once? 

Oh wait, that's apparently too hard. 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Yeah it may have cost Valve $1million, But they raised $10million in the two days alone from paid mods. Now they know HOW much they can make, dont be fooled into thinking they wont keep this idea going.

As of the second day Gabe (on his Q&A) said that they made $10k... So... 

No they didn't.

97da426d5e.png

Pointless argument. Any sensible company cares about what the fan base thinks. It's important both for their long term profit sustainability as well as their individual job satisfaction.

We've been over this, stop thinking and being rational. It makes it really hard to pointlessly rage and circlejerk

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

As of the second day Gabe (on his Q&A) said that they made $10k... So... 

No they didn't.

I'm sorry joey, it seems you misunderstand basic math. here i'll lay it out for you.

-$1,000,000.000 + $10,000.00 = $10,000,000.00

Now that you've seen the formula i'm sure you have a better understanding.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Yeah like Valve would spend 1 million reading your emails, they probably solved it in typical Valve customer service style: A macro to autodelete all emails for a few days.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4sa1Ln6.jpg

There is no legal way they can just remove everyone games. even if we just pay for the license to access the game we still paid tender for it and we still own it. 

Yes there is. we do not own the game, we just have the right to play it. And that right can be removed at any point,

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Oh, I see.  But they can't nor would do that though, stop steam.

In the future if it becomes less profitable, or EA buys every major game developer and blocks steam.......

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

In the future if it becomes less profitable, or EA buys every major game developer and blocks steam.......

Well I will still be able to play games at least...

They didn't do anything wrong!!! They wanted to help mod devs in a way and well people didn't want it so they removed it.

The idea itself want bad actually, in fact most people that understand it like it, but the implementation and execution of it was so detrimental they deserve the cold shoulder.

The idea itself want bad actually, in fact most people that understand it like it, but the implementation and execution of it was so detrimental they deserve the cold shoulder.

They don't deserve this. Their first goal was to give something to the modders. Valve keeps 25-30% like always and then Bethesda set the rest of the cut. If valve would have said to give more to the modder Bethesda would have porbably refused. So they wanted to keep a middle ground. Nothing or 25%. And anways they removed it so they learned and listened to the customers.

Yes there is. we do not own the game, we just have the right to play it. And that right can be removed at any point,

No. We have the game liscence.

They don't deserve this. Their first goal was to give something to the modders. Valve keeps 25-30% like always and then Bethesda set the rest of the cut. If valve would have said to give more to the modder Bethesda would have porbably refused. So they wanted to keep a middle ground. Nothing or 25%. And anways they removed it so they learned and listened to the customers.

First off, Valve has it's own mod-able games, they don't need to be nobody's bitch. If they want to help developers they should have put the direct donation button we have been asking for some time. The modder needs to make over $400 with this system in order to be able to get the money; this doesn't have an apparent reason.

Valve is keeping a chunk of the cash but they don't check the content, any mod purchased can easily break your game, not work if you end up using another mod, they have this 24hs return policy which is crap (I've had my internet/electricity dying for over a day many times, it's just too short of a period for a refund). There is no control of whether the one who submits the mod is actually the creator (you can easily start downloading mods online and uploading them to the paid workshop for your profit). There is no supervision or editing of the content; you can get a mod that works today, but tomorrow the new game version is released and you simply can't use it anymore, as the developer no longer works on the project.

I'm not saying that Valve isn't listening to the customers, but they had buttheads managing this project. I can keep listing major flaws here; it's not going to get better for them.

I worry that the whole thing was Bethesda's idea, and the outcome would decide if Elder Scrolls 6 would get modding tools or not.

If there is no creation kit/ construction set for Elder Scrolls going forward... I'd get very pissed.

Hope Valve still puts in a tip jar for modders, and take much MUCH less margin.

there were many mods before the creation tool was released.

If they want to help developers they should have put the direct donation button we have been asking for some time. T.

They can't do that if Bethesda is not ok with this, in this case the only way to make Bethesda happy was with the cut they chose. You can't just start giving money to people making stuff on another person work, in this case Skyrim made by Bethesda. There are some legal issues that may occur and will.

there were many mods before the creation tool was released.

Tweaks and minor mods sure. Straight up swaps of meshes and textures, sure.

Actual full-fledged mods? Very few.

Mod = changes in gameplay, additional mechanics or additional content. Those are the mods I care about anyway, the ones that take a lot of effort and extend the life of a game. A texture swap is nice, but isn't going to extend any lifespans.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

They can't do that if Bethesda is not ok with this, in this case the only way to make Bethesda happy was with the cut they chose. You can't just start giving money to people making stuff on another person work, in this case Skyrim made by Bethesda. There are some legal issues that may occur and will.

Why not? It's just a tip jar. It's like Intel blocking Linus from getting donations.

I can only hope they lost that or more.

cuz you`re the one who deserves all that money really... for sitting on your ass...

not a company filled with people who each are smarter than you and your next 10 relatives put together

So it costs Valve one million dollars to read the rage emails for a mere few days. That amount of money far exceeds the cost of decent customer support for one fiscal year, something Valve does not even have at all...

I cannot be the only person here who thinks there is something gravely wrong with the way this is handled.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

I think an important thing to note here from the valve post is this (yes, I am being nit picky)

Now that you've backed a dump truck of feedback onto our inboxes, we'll be chewing through that, but if you have any further thoughts let us know.

Dump trucks are for collecting garbage, so does this mean that they consider the outburst and our opinion to be garbage? It's quite insulting to call feedback a "dump", even if figuratively and people should note that Valve did this grudgingly, and not out of the goodness of their hearts.

So it costs Valve one million dollars to read the rage emails for a mere few days. That amount of money far exceeds the cost of decent customer support for one fiscal year, something Valve does not even have at all...

I cannot be the only person here who thinks there is something gravely wrong with the way this is handled.

Indeed, I noted that as well.

They could be paying far less for far superior customer service, if they only decided to properly structure it and train some new staff. 1st level support (I forgot my password, etc) should NOT be paid the same as an actual Valve Dev. In fact, many places and companies pay their 1st level support staff Minimum wage.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Not really.

It doesnt make sense . Its like total biscuit charging 30 cents per video he releases . Would that make more quality content or get him more money , of course not,

Did the paid mod feature create more quality mods?

No it didnt , in fact what it did was to create a horde of cash grabbing mods and made long stading mods like SKY UI behind a pay wall , well at least the new versions.

Since you are such a great proponent of this look at the filth that was being sold for money at the work shop:

http://imgur.com/gallery/bqcla/new

If you think what valve did and how they did it was a good idea you dont know much about how modding works and how the modding community operates .

The results were abysmal and i guarantee you it would only get worse.

Patreon , mod tiphar / donation button , hell even ads on the mod page and prizes for the best mods.

Thats how you do it . Not like this , never like this.

It wont work.

I think an important thing to note here from the valve post is this (yes, I am being nit picky)

Now that you've backed a dump truck of feedback onto our inboxes, we'll be chewing through that, but if you have any further thoughts let us know.

Dump trucks are for collecting garbage, so does this mean that they consider the outburst and our opinion to be garbage? It's quite insulting to call feedback a "dump", even if figuratively and people should note that Valve did this grudgingly, and not out of the goodness of their hearts.

Given the angry responses of the mob, do you think the emails & responses consist of constructive criticisms?

Call it "un-professional" or whatever you want, there are people behind the desk who read other people saying what they're doing is an utter bullshit etc etc. Gabe has expressed some of his annoyances towards pc gamers previously.