Experiences with non-techies

2 hours ago, Riddler356 said:

maybe, but come on lower temps are better for the PC. al that sucks is on avg its around 30C in summer here, so i love winter and hate summer.

Love my 50c idle 105c loads on 3.5ghz! 

1 hour ago, Clanscorpia said:

lol it gets even hotter here is canada. Here it was 35ish @themctipers how was the GTA. I heard it was the hottest it was all summer :P I love how we have the biggest temp range in the world. Its loike 80 degrees xD 

40c. Not in GTA though, technically in Toronto. :) 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

Love my 50c idle 105c loads on 3.5ghz! 

40c. Not in GTA though, technically in Toronto. :) 

With humidity? About that here too. I was in Kingston at RMC on the hottest day in 75 years. In my Cadet Uniform. FML 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

12 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

With humidity? About that here too. I was in Kingston at RMC on the hottest day in 75 years. In my Cadet Uniform. FML 

Kingston is far away from Toronto.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Here's a new one. My Aunt refuses to let me put a QX 6850 in her desktop when it currently has one of the first LGA775 Celerons. I couldn't even convince here to let me at least install a Pentium 540, or my 65W Pentium 4 631. And its the same with the MX400 x8 64MB as well, which I was going to replace with an (custom cooled) FX5500 256MB-which also doesn't have a seized fan unlike the MX400.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

16 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Here's a new one. My Aunt refuses to let me put a QX 6850 in her desktop when it currently has one of the first LGA775 Celerons. I couldn't even convince here to let me at least install a Pentium 540, or my 65W Pentium 4 631. And its the same with the MX400 x8 64MB as well, which I was going to replace with an (custom cooled) FX5500 256MB-which also doesn't have a seized fan unlike the MX400.

Did she say why?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

12 hours ago, themctipers said:

~20/16c is great for me sleeping.

~18 daily for me.

for me it's 20-25 daily for me, and the highest i can withstand is 45C we once had here a heatwave of 40C and it was actually pretty tolerable

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

About a month ago I was here at work at Goodyear chemical plant At 3am I had my boss page me over the loudspeaker he had me shut my job down to help him in the office , when I get in there he is holding the mouse in his hand and proceeds to tell me he doesn't know what to do the mouse came unplugged and he diddnt  want to plug it into the wrong place and blow up the computer 

mind you this factory's NOT somewhere you want to have a computer go down as we are practically standing on 5 huge pressure bombs, but comon a mouse....really lol

10 minutes ago, I need a better name said:

What the....

Computer motor?!?

Computer motor?!?

Computer motor?!?

Computer motor?!?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

7 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

What the....

Computer motor?!?

Computer motor?!?

Computer motor?!?

Computer motor?!?

Just look at all the dust the fan blades are covered in.

I dont even get how someone could think that is even sellable.

Linus is my fetish.

1 hour ago, Mikedin said:

About a month ago I was here at work at Goodyear chemical plant At 3am I had my boss page me over the loudspeaker he had me shut my job down to help him in the office , when I get in there he is holding the mouse in his hand and proceeds to tell me he doesn't know what to do the mouse came unplugged and he diddnt  want to plug it into the wrong place and blow up the computer 

mind you this factory's NOT somewhere you want to have a computer go down as we are practically standing on 5 huge pressure bombs, but comon a mouse....really lol

I completely understand your boss' concerns, I also work in a plant like that where a computer shutdown or restart has to be planned and is dangerous to have it happen unexpectedly. The only time in the last 2 years they had the computers go down is when the power went out, other then that the same computers have run 24/7 for over 10 years.

My boss didn't want to even unplug an extra mouse that just sits to the side on an opertator station because there was a glitch when someone tried to unplug it before. In these sorts of workplaces it is very much leave it alone it if works.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

My roommate is generally a smart man. He's 53 yo and has 2 PhDs and a doctorate. One of those is in electronic engineering  (seen his degrees and they are legit). Unfortunately he's stuck in the Windows xp era. He says any other operating system on a pc is unnecessary. And he also seems to think that a Pentium 4 ht is the pinnacle of processing power. If a program needs more then it is ridiculous and you shouldn't use it. That's his mentality on it and it's honestly hilarious. He is constantly trying to sell me his computers that have Pentium 4 ht at 3ghz 512Mb of ram and 16 GB sdcard as an ssd all for $400. ?

Edited by Karakofire
Autocorrect changed ht to by

Since a few people liked my back battery story from my times at best buy I have another good one. 

So at the time of this story I was working in PC sales even though I told management to put me in the back of geek squad so they could better use my skills but they didn't think I should since I never sold geek squad (mainly because it is over priced and the people working at our store were lacking in major knowledge areas so why sell crap on top of crap.) So one day a geek squad employee starts talking to me about a custom PC build they are doing for a customer, naturally I want to know all the spec details. He starts telling me that he recommended the guy go with an AMD processor I believe an 8350 which for this build was fine, however he recommended an Intel Motherboard, claiming he had done that in the past. I then said no dude you can put an AMD processor in an Intel socket they are completely different. He then gets mad and says I am wrong, I told him I would give him till the end of the day to prove to me it could be done. Less than 5 min later he comes and finds me and apologizes to which he then realizes he now has to call the man who ordered the PC and tell him that he messed up apparently for the 2nd time. 

Moral of the store is best buy and geek squad employees are mostly non tech people with little to no training unless a tech person works there and secretly teaches people like I did mainly about in home networking products.     

18 hours ago, DebatED Nothing said:

Also, unrelated note, but I take issue with people saying that referring to a USB storage device as any of "USB" "Pen Drive" "Thumb Drive" "USB Stick" is "non techie" or otherwise ignorant. Those are very widely accepted terms. Same goes for referring to a mobile data allowance as "an amount of 4G/3G/"internet"" that's a common expression, just because you use it doesn't mean you don't know anything about tech.

I agree for the most part, but I don't like just plain "USB." That's like calling a car door a "Car"

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

18 hours ago, themctipers said:

~20/16c is great for me sleeping.

~18 daily for me.

Usually I'd like ~25c to ~28c during the day but inside the house ~23c is perfect. For sleeping ~20 is great. Though, Hamilton Ontario has been pretty damn hot lately. The picture from our car is probably like 8 degrees off but my God, it definitely felt like 42º...

42c.jpg

9 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Did she say why?

Nope. But when XP takes forever to boot with the Celeron, and then locks up after a short period of time due to the MX400 overheating....

PMSL

9 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

how about you upgrade it without telling her, then when she realizes it really is better: you win

Spoiler

YOU WIN!

Just now, Grimreaper084 said:

how about you upgrade it without telling her, then when she realizes it really is better: you win

Reveal hidden contents

The stock cooler will run a lot louder with the Pentium 4 or QX6850 :(

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

The stock cooler will run a lot louder with the Pentium 4 or QX6850 :(

Ah, well then i guess she is doomed:(

5 hours ago, SLAYR said:

I completely understand your boss' concerns, I also work in a plant like that where a computer shutdown or restart has to be planned and is dangerous to have it happen unexpectedly. The only time in the last 2 years they had the computers go down is when the power went out, other then that the same computers have run 24/7 for over 10 years.

My boss didn't want to even unplug an extra mouse that just sits to the side on an opertator station because there was a glitch when someone tried to unplug it before. In these sorts of workplaces it is very much leave it alone it if works.

It was pretty funny tho, their computers in the area managers office are to monitor what we are working on so his shutting down wouldn't have hurt the operation (something he is aware of ) but it was hilarious when it happened lol the reactor operator computers now hats a different story , of course there just hp desktops so nothing fancy ....I'm surprised nobody cleans them, even in a positive pressure  climate controlled room they are completely disgusting

we have 1 hour backup ups systems on all the computers that matter for power outages (we had 2 last month at the worst possible times lol), the worst part about it was that the electronics manager was there too and he had no clue what to do with the mouse lol....I can't see him being around much longer....

11 hours ago, RahulR said:

Usually I'd like ~25c to ~28c during the day but inside the house ~23c is perfect. For sleeping ~20 is great. Though, Hamilton Ontario has been pretty damn hot lately. The picture from our car is probably like 8 degrees off but my God, it definitely felt like 42º...

42c.jpg

On August 9 here in Madeira we had a 38ºC heatwave (THAT'S AIR TEMPERATURE). It was actually pretty tolerable for me. At 45C it's barely even tolerable and at 50C just cover yourself in ice we're done. Also during that heatwave,

2016_Madeira_wildfires.jpg

where is that?

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

where is that?

what do you mean?