Experiences with non-techies

Welp, to those people who download even >1MB/s, consider yourselves lucky. We only get about 250-300KB/s max download rates that don't get there 60% of the time, and, welp, disconnects like hell. :/

Click here to claim your free Linus plushie.

8 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

1st world problems :)

:) and I complain about my flagship phone. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

So.

A friend of mine had spent a couple of months saving up 2 grand to buy a gaming pc. He approached me for help, and so I came up with a list of parts for him, and off he went to a PC store to get them. Silly old me had decided I'll just let him pick whatever case he likes, the guys at the store will make sure it's the right form factor. So when he got the parts, and I started walking him through it via video chat, we soon ran into a problem.

He had bought a Corsair H105 (240mm) for the PC, but this case that he had gotten (Aerocool Battlehawk) didn't have space to mount it anywhere. So I asked him, "Did the guy at the shop look through your list of parts and make sure the case was compatible?". He said "Yeah, he looked at the parts, and at the specs of the case on the side of the box and told me it was okay."

Crap.

After some Googling I came to the infuriating conclusion that the guy at the store had just seen the box say: "Fan support: Top (2x120mm) Front (2x120mm)" and assumed that it meant the radiator would fit. Now my poor, poor friend who isn't even the idiot in this story has to drive an hour back to the store, return it for another case, and drive an hour back home.

:(

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

27 minutes ago, Fillypino Pride said:

Welp, to those people who download even >1MB/s, consider yourselves lucky. We only get about 250-300KB/s max download rates that don't get there 60% of the time, and, welp, disconnects like hell. :/

Well I live in an extremely small country (Belgium) so... almost everyone >90% maybe more can have 200/20 Mbps

13 minutes ago, Principis said:

Well I live in an extremely small country (Belgium) so... almost everyone >90% maybe more can have 200/20 Mbps

@manikyath sorryhadto

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

As I'm looking for a new mobile carrier deal and the talk about connection speeds, I remembered one really funny topic that mostly concerns Finns.

In Finland we have always translated "byte" as "tavu" (literal translation of "tavu" is syllable) which makes us natively use kt, Mt, Gt and so on instead of kB, MB, GB and so on. All techies know about this but for non-techies it's really hard to understand that it's a Finnish thing to use "t" instead of "B". When ADSL connections started to get common ISPs marketed with using "Mb/s"-marking and while techies knew that they ment megabits the non-techies really didn't get their head around it and made the connection that generally letter B means bits and didn't differentiate lower and upper case b and B from each other. Luckly ISP now days use "Mbit/s"-marking and also some of the stores here have started to use the right markings when selling PCs, so it's not so common anymore for people get it wrong, but we are kind of hard skulled people.

So, while I was cleaning and upgrading my friends computer some time ago this led us to really huge "fight". He really doesn't know anything about PCs but he likes to game so I upgraded his GPU to GTX 960 4GB and as I didn't acctually come to think about it and I made the mistake to give his older GPU back to him in the box of the new GPU and he totally lost it. This was because he thought I had "upgraded" his "1Gt" GPU to "4Gb" GPU because the box had "4GB" instead of Finnish "4Gt". In the end he ended destroying his older GPU and the box and getting few good dents to his case and I laughted my ass off the whole time he raged, because the whole situation was simply too stupid.

Wow ... Anger management issues much?

Also, the MB/Mb confusion is everywhere really... I have the same problem here (Canada) and even saw people here on the forum being confused about it.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

Also, the MB/Mb confusion is everywhere really... I have the same problem here (Canada) and even saw people here on the forum being confused about it.

Same. 

I have some issues but I manage to keep it and not flip the fuck out. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

1st world problems :)

That may be, but they've got every right to complain :P 

Especially with the 2.5 down / 0.2 up I have right now...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That may be, but they've got every right to complain :P 

Especially with the 2.5 down / 0.2 up I have right now...

How about 53KB/s internet for 3 days.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Oh no... :( 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh no... :( 

Imgur was blocked. So was Reddit..

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

Maybe a little bit, but luckly when he starts raging he just breaks his own stuff and have never been in anyway dangerous to others.

I know it's all alround and that's probably why in Finnish we are quite found for our Mb/Mt because it's more foolproof. Too bad it's just us who use it.

16 minutes ago, Thaldor said:

Maybe a little bit, but luckly when he starts raging he just breaks his own stuff and have never been in anyway dangerous to others.

I know it's all alround and that's probably why in Finnish we are quite found for our Mb/Mt because it's more foolproof. Too bad it's just us who use it.

Same in French, it's Mb and MO, though we get all the US and RoC stuff so 90% of the time we still use Mb/MB

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

10 hours ago, Principis said:

I was downloading the BF1 open beta at 20 MB/s and that was slow IMO :P

i got it at 400kbps

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

3 hours ago, themctipers said:

*sad music plays* Rip you.

Desktop: Core i5-6400, 16gb DDR4, Asus H110M-K, GTX 970, 240gb Crucial BX200, 1TB 5200rpm Samsung Spinpoint, 1TB WD Green, 250gb WD Scorpio Blue, Corsair CS550M, Zalman Z1 Neo, TP Link TL-WDN4800.

Laptop: HP Stream 13: Intel Celeron N2840, 2GB DDR3, 32GB e-mmc, iGPU.

"Test Bench": Pentium 4 HT 3.4GHz, 2GB DDR2, Dell Dimension 8400 Mobo and PSU, ATI X550, random hard drives

14 hours ago, themctipers said:

for 3 days mate. 3 DAYS. I had to deal with that from 2007-2012

5 years. 

rule 101: there is always someone with slower internet

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

for 3 days mate. 3 DAYS. I had to deal with that from 2007-2012

5 years. 

well..

this is after when the internet decided to put a fuck ton of gifs and pictures everywhere.

ltt barely loads. :( 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

well..

this is after when the internet decided to put a fuck ton of gifs and pictures everywhere.

ltt barely loads. :( 

well then get a 400kbps connection. i can guarentee it will work

Build

Spoiler

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

well then get a 400kbps connection. i can guarentee it will work

well.. 3 days on a trip.

to quebec. 

where i dont have cell service, and the only internet is the 52kbps internet.

:c i lost all the photos from there.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Bought a eshop prepaid card, our phones went out the next day. Blamed my eshop card

47 minutes ago, Lumen15 said:

Bought a eshop prepaid card, our phones went out the next day. Blamed my eshop card

?

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

?

i have never seen a non techie story from u

Build

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

i have never seen a non techie story from u

*grabs guitar and sings*

let me find

my fucking stories

from a few weeks ago

off we go! Page 900. /s

its really cringe. Trust me. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

11 minutes ago, themctipers said:

*grabs guitar and sings*

let me find

my fucking stories

from a few weeks ago

off we go! Page 900. /s

its really cringe. Trust me. 

ok 

Build

Spoiler