Experiences with non-techies

1 hour ago, matrix07012 said:

aVeVXMd_700b_v1.jpg

I like how br0kenrabbit literally said Valve would not ask for username/password, then went ahead, said he worked for valve and asked for the username and password.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

2 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

aVeVXMd_700b_v1.jpg

And in my area that's not a thing. Doing chores for a neighbor is looked down upon and I don't even speak their language. :( 

donate muny pls

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

35 minutes ago, themctipers said:

And in my area that's not a thing. Doing chores for a neighbor is looked down upon and I don't even speak their language. :( 

donate muny pls

Wat. Where do you live?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

aVeVXMd_700b_v1.jpg

eti-topkek-portakalli-kucuk-kek_59_psb.png

that is just simply amazing , i wish it wasnt so awfully compressed   nvm i was dumb and looked at the wrong one ha

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

14 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Wat. Where do you live?

Suburbia. There's no whites people here, only Chinese people..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Suburbia. There's no whites people here, only Chinese people..

Is that a city in Canada?

I guess they don't expect you to work for money, but rather to study all day and then become a doctor xD 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Is that a city in Canada?

I guess they don't expect you to work for money, but rather to study all day and then become a doctor xD 

Suburbia is what I call my area, which is a part of my area. Which is apart of my city which is apart of Toronto (not in GTA)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Ok, so this happened quite recently. It's a type of story that we've all probably heard multiple times but whatever, we can always hear it again!

So I was at this store where they sell herbs yesterday, and this guy is asking if they have a certain herb that stars with a "j" (I forgot the name of the herb). So I watch as the people there look around the store seeing if they could find it and they also look at the computer which they use when people buy stuff there (I assumed they were looking through their catalogs of all the things they had in stock). Upon not finding any results I watch as one of the people there goes over to another one of their computers that has the monitor positioned so I could see it. I was far enough away that I couldn't completely make out the words on the screen but I was close enough that I could sorta guess what they were typing. So I watch as they go over to the computer and delete whatever was in the url bar and then start typing. Wait, that's strange, it looks like the word they typed start with a "g". I thought the person said the word starts with a j. Maybe he said g (the guy's English wasn't the best) or maybe I just can't see the letter properly. I then watch as the person types out the word. Wait a second, it doesn't seem long enough. They hit enter.

Then I realized they typed Google. So yeah. They googled Google in order to google herb.

image.jpeg

After that they clicked on the first result and then typed in the herb.

I'd heard a lot of the googling Google stories before, but I never thought I would ever experience it. I guess I was wrong.

Still, it escapes me how people don't realize that whatever they pe in the url address bar is getting googled... Don't they ever realize the page they get after typing Google in there is awfully similar to the one they search in?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

My brother told me that you we couldn't delete our 24GBs of movies because they were on the F:\ Drive and our C:\ Drive only had ~11GBs left. He thought that there was one Recycle Bin and it was stored on the C:\ Drive xD He already knows that files still remain on the drive after being deleted, but I had to explain to him that deleted files remain on the drive they were deleted from.

I think my personal favorite was a guy who brought in 2 pcs one was his the other was his little brother's.  One was a Pentium 3 i think and the other was an old Athlon (this was in the summer of 2015).  His was completely fried out due to a roach infestation.  His little brother's computer on the other hand was clean (almost brand new clean). Went though the usual trouble shooting steps and eventually pulled the heatsink and there was his CPU clean enough to eat off of.  A few minutes later (they were very impatient) he walked into the store in spite of not being called so I walked them back to their computers to show them what was going on. I asked the brother about his computer and he said it had been shutting down so he looked it up and found out it was a heat issue so he pulled the heatsink and "removed some greenish corrosion" off the CPU and heatsink.  He had completely removed any trace of thermal paste to the point that the heatsink looked polished.

we regularly got people who would misidentify parts or insist on using the wrong names the most common of which were "UBS" drives or needing a new "PCU" but also had many call the tower a modem and even had one elderly gentleman call the tower a monitor.  I understand not knowing the proper names for things but when someone is trying to gently correct you from "UBS" to USB for the entirety of a 20min interaction think about what your saying.

We got called to do an emergency onsite call to a major company that had an office in our area because they had received a cease and desist order from their ISP because there were tens of thousands of spam emails coming from their server.  Turns out that when Geek Squad had gone out and setup their server they had left the RDP port open to the internet.  It had at least 50 hacker created accounts on most of which were sending spam emails.

Our store had partnered with a recycler so we offered free electronic recycling we had a few people who "removed their hard drive" before bringing it in to be recycled.  These "hard drives" included, on various occasions, 2 sound cards 1 NIC at least a dozen RAM sticks and a zip drive.  Each time I found a miss a hard drive in the computers I would show them what the hard drive was and offer to securely destroy it for them by drilling half a dozen 3/4 inch holes in them after running a disk eraser on them.

I have seen people snap off PS2 and USB cables in the ports and seen people snap the center portion of a USB port off causing the pins to touch the outer ring and short the pc.

We had a customer who brought in his laptop because it was running slow. when i booted it up I saw that it had a relatively small amount of RAM so I pulled the RAM cover off and there was the last inch and a half or so of his marijuana cigarette where his other RAM stick should be(apparently he did one hell of a magic trick).  We reported it to the authorities who promptly confiscated the roach and did nothing else since they could not prove that it was his. 

this is just a few of the good ones.

15 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

aVeVXMd_700b_v1.jpg

I can't see it since the font is so small! :P 

3 hours ago, RahulR said:

My brother told me that you we couldn't delete our 24GBs of movies because they were on the F:\ Drive and our C:\ Drive only had ~11GBs left. He thought that there was one Recycle Bin and it was stored on the C:\ Drive xD He already knows that files still remain on the drive after being deleted, but I had to explain to him that deleted files remain on the drive they were deleted from.

Well, deleted files are still physically on the drive, but Windows will say they are gone...  But yeah you can delete those movies... otherwise there is an access control problem.

4 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Ok, so this happened quite recently. It's a type of story that we've all probably heard multiple times but whatever, we can always hear it again!

So I was at this store where they sell herbs yesterday, and this guy is asking if they have a certain herb that stars with a "j" (I forgot the name of the herb). So I watch as the people there look around the store seeing if they could find it and they also look at the computer which they use when people buy stuff there (I assumed they were looking through their catalogs of all the things they had in stock). Upon not finding any results I watch as one of the people there goes over to another one of their computers that has the monitor positioned so I could see it. I was far enough away that I couldn't completely make out the words on the screen but I was close enough that I could sorta guess what they were typing. So I watch as they go over to the computer and delete whatever was in the url bar and then start typing. Wait, that's strange, it looks like the word they typed start with a "g". I thought the person said the word starts with a j. Maybe he said g (the guy's English wasn't the best) or maybe I just can't see the letter properly. I then watch as the person types out the word. Wait a second, it doesn't seem long enough. They hit enter.

Then I realized they typed Google. So yeah. They googled Google in order to google herb.

image.jpeg

I'd heard a lot of the googling Google stories before, but I never thought I would ever experience it. I guess I was wrong.

Still, it escapes me how people don't realize that whatever they pe in the url address bar is getting googled... Don't they ever realize the page they get after typing Google in there is awfully similar to the one they search in?

Oh... so it was a... "herb" store? ;) 

But I get what you mean, it's stupid.  There are people in my computer science class and we are doing networking and computer science (representing data with bits, encoding, formal languages etc) and people are doing that in OUR CLASS! 

Part of me thinks it's out of laziness, but it would literally be faster even just to make a computer shortcut for https://google.com.  I'm absolutely gobsmacked! 

11 minutes ago, Kichkinet said:

I think my personal favorite was a guy who brought in 2 pcs one was his the other was his little brother's.  One was a Pentium 3 i think and the other was an old Athlon (this was in the summer of 2015).  His was completely fried out due to a roach infestation.  His little brother's computer on the other hand was clean (almost brand new clean). Went though the usual trouble shooting steps and eventually pulled the heatsink and there was his CPU clean enough to eat off of.  A few minutes later (they were very impatient) he walked into the store in spite of not being called so I walked them back to their computers to show them what was going on. I asked the brother about his computer and he said it had been shutting down so he looked it up and found out it was a heat issue so he pulled the heatsink and "removed some greenish corrosion" off the CPU and heatsink.  He had completely removed any trace of thermal paste to the point that the heatsink looked polished.

we regularly got people who would misidentify parts or insist on using the wrong names the most common of which were "UBS" drives or needing a new "PCU" but also had many call the tower a modem and even had one elderly gentleman call the tower a monitor.  I understand not knowing the proper names for things but when someone is trying to gently correct you from "UBS" to USB for the entirety of a 20min interaction think about what your saying.

We got called to do an emergency onsite call to a major company that had an office in our area because they had received a cease and desist order from their ISP because there were tens of thousands of spam emails coming from their server.  Turns out that when Geek Squad had gone out and setup their server they had left the RDP port open to the internet.  It had at least 50 hacker created accounts on most of which were sending spam emails.

Our store had partnered with a recycler so we offered free electronic recycling we had a few people who "removed their hard drive" before bringing it in to be recycled.  These "hard drives" included, on various occasions, 2 sound cards 1 NIC at least a dozen RAM sticks and a zip drive.  Each time I found a miss a hard drive in the computers I would show them what the hard drive was and offer to securely destroy it for them by drilling half a dozen 3/4 inch holes in them after running a disk eraser on them.

I have seen people snap off PS2 and USB cables in the ports and seen people snap the center portion of a USB port off causing the pins to touch the outer ring and short the pc.

We had a customer who brought in his laptop because it was running slow. when i booted it up I saw that it had a relatively small amount of RAM so I pulled the RAM cover off and there was the last inch and a half or so of his marijuana cigarette where his other RAM stick should be(apparently he did one hell of a magic trick).  We reported it to the authorities who promptly confiscated the roach and did nothing else since they could not prove that it was his. 

this is just a few of the good ones.

I've heard of people removing the thermal paste before. It has a lot to do with people not reading the documentation before actually building the computer, I think one of the issues here is that building a computer is so damn easy that it's harder to understand what each component does nowadays.  That's actually a really good idea I just thought of... A 5 page website which is sort of like a website for dummies on how to build computers in less than 1000 words. 

I think that people get confused when they hear people talking about computers as PCs or Modems or CPUs or whatever.  I just call them computers, because they are.  I wish I could tell everyone to call it a computer, because it suits everything.  Computer-Security, Computer-Networking, Computer-Engineering, Computer-Programming, Computer-User.  It all works and all makes sense, because they are all computers.  

I don't know what fucking company would let geek squad setup their servers. They need to fire their system administrator or IT operation manager. Because that is really stupid.  I understand someone leaving the RDP port open to the internet, but that's normally why people use VPN tunnels.  If I'm pentesting a server, I normally look for things like the changing of ssh ports, the disabling of passwords and the smart use of VPN tunnels, which can be used as an authentication way, and can then connect to RDP through that VPN connection.  Much Safer. 

I got offered a job at one of those PC technician places, I declined, I probably should have accepted.  I admire you though, being able to put up with a lot of shit.  At least you get some good times and good laughs out of it though. 

10 minutes ago, SecGuy said:

I've heard of people removing the thermal paste before. It has a lot to do with people not reading the documentation before actually building the computer, I think one of the issues here is that building a computer is so damn easy that it's harder to understand what each component does nowadays.  That's actually a really good idea I just thought of... A 5 page website which is sort of like a website for dummies on how to build computers in less than 1000 words. 

this was an old HP iirc that he had tired to diagnose and fix himself and just thought the thermal paste was corrosion preventing normal heat dissipation. ya ive seen some crazy stuff from DIY builds too i think the worst was a gentleman who was using a watercooling setup and somehow between how he installed the CPU, how the cooler's pipes were run, and how the cooler was tightened managed he managed to bend the CPU and a few pins on the motherboard.  It had worked for over a year but he had some issues so he took it apart and I think during his trouble shooting he managed to damage the CPU and motherboard.

I personally love in movies when they "destroy a computer" by shooting the monitor / smashing it :D

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

5 hours ago, DocSwag said:

image.jpeg

I hate when I first get a new browser and its setup to yahoo search by default (which I doubt anyone really uses). I end up having to yahoo google to do a google search. I know that you can google.com and it will auto do a google search but I'm too lazy :P and certainly too lazy to change to default as well

7 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

I personally love in movies when they "destroy a computer" by shooting the monitor / smashing it :D

1. A criminal runs into an office (confidential info on the computer) 
  2. The criminal shoots the computer monitor and runs out.
  3. An FBI Agent walks into the office
  4. *FBI Agent is confused.*
  5. *FBI Agent grabs hard drive.*
  6. *FBI Agent walks out with confidential data*

If that happened on a movie, I would cry. 

1 minute ago, SecGuy said:
  1. A criminal runs into an office (confidential info on the computer) 
  2. The criminal shoots the computer monitor and runs out.
  3. An FBI Agent walks into the office
  4. *FBI Agent is confused.*
  5. *FBI Agent grabs hard drive.*
  6. *FBI Agent walks out with confidential data*

If that happened on a movie, I would cry. 

7. FBI agent plugs some things into the HDD 

8. Screen shows "encrypting [#######__40%__________]"
9. frantic keyboard mashing

10. ???

11. profit 

PSU Tier list

46 minutes ago, SecGuy said:

Well, deleted files are still physically on the drive, but Windows will say they are gone...  But yeah you can delete those movies... otherwise there is an access control problem.

4 hours ago, RahulR said:

He already knows that files still remain on the drive after being deleted, but I had to explain to him that deleted files remain on the drive they were deleted from.

6 hours ago, SecGuy said:

I can't see it since the font is so small! :P 

-super snip-

Click (or tap) on the image and then click full size in the bottom left, that should make it readable.

Also when you quote a SUPER long post try to just delete all of the post that isn't really relevant and replace it with "-snip-" or something. That way we don't have to go scrolling through all of it!

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

Or how they can wipe a drive in the matter of seconds.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Get Microsoft agent on them to help them out with their pc

Im a Aussie gamer on half decent hardware......
desktop

i7 7700k 4.8ghz Msi ProCarbon Z270 gtx 1080 250gb samsung 850 evo 16gb ddr4 3000mhz ram 2tb wd black 1tb wd green

laptop:
Msi gs40
i7 6700hq 16gb ddr4 gtx 970m 128gb ssd 1tb ssd

2 minutes ago, coollance2015 said:

A great example of why to never do that:

My previous motherboard didn't work so I asked Microsoft, and they told me that the motherboard wasn't supported.. 

From here:

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

46 minutes ago, coollance2015 said:

The best idea ever :D

I just today used 2 hours to troubleshoot wifes PC. Symptom was random restarts (after she had "fixed" a BSOD). She said she had done everything she had found from the web and updated her drivers. Turns out she had done what Microsoft supports "Technical Engineer" had adviced: restoring default settings and drivers on W10. Took me 2 hours to put settings right again and to get a nice informative BSOD. Turned out she hadn't updated her GPU drivers which were giving the BSOD and she had restored all drivers from the windows update. Ah, the best feature on W10, restart if error turns up. Also she had googled about kernel-power 41 error and read a lot about power settings of W7 and W8.1 and went and restored them also and put them on some super battery saver state, because Microsofts "Technical engineer" didn't know that kernel-power 41 is just power on flag for windows not shutting down correctly last time.

ooh hey look

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Something I always had to deal with is explain to people the difference between someone who uses a computer vs an IT vs a programmer. In my community these are always meshed up together. It gets a mess when talking about jobs. 

main(){
  extrn a,b,c;
  putchar(a); putchar(b); putchar(c); putchar('!*n');
  }

a 'hell';
b 'o, w';
c 'orld';