Experiences with non-techies

Mah goodness gracious meh, it's been more than a full bloomin' day since y'all have posted any stories 'bout dem fandagled non-techies.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, Dargenfire said:

Mah goodness gracious meh, it's been more than a full bloomin' day since y'all have posted any stories 'bout dem fandagled non-techies.

K. My asian mother -

KETTLES ARE TERRIBLE AND THE WORK OF THE DEVIL BECAUSE THIS ONE TIME YOUR BROTHER WAS USING THE KETTLE AND IT SET ON FIRE!

#19 years of growing up without a kettle. Fuckng having to wait 20 mins every single tiem for water to boil in a pot.

Fuck asian parents.

Linus is my fetish.

14 minutes ago, Bhav said:

K. My asian mother -

KETTLES ARE TERRIBLE AND THE WORK OF THE DEVIL BECAUSE THIS ONE TIME YOUR BROTHER WAS USING THE KETTLE AND IT SET ON FIRE!

#19 years of growing up without a kettle. Fuckng having to wait 20 mins every single tiem for water to boil in a pot.

Fuck asian parents.

lol xD yes, because boiling a pot of water is safer than a kettle /s

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Another one, my father just comes up to me today while my PC is on and gaming with some electric monitoring thing ....

'You're using 12p of electric per hour, thats too damn high!!!!' 

I probably use my PC for gaming at a max average of 5 hours per day, also 12p an hour would literally be 1000w of usage, which is the limit of my PSU and I really cant believe just the PC is using up all that.

Now Im trying to find out how I can measure the amount of electricity my PC is using from the mains.

Well, Im not sure how accurate this is, but maybe it is the case:

5nSYJ7X.png 

Linus is my fetish.

7 hours ago, Bhav said:

K. My asian mother -

Fuck asian parents.

I have 55% in most of my subjects and asain parents 

Halp me

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

My dad has this disdain towards any phone that's not Apple or Samsung as if all other phones are a lower class. His face when I bought an LG G3 was priceless. :P

7 minutes ago, BR5_Balaguru said:

My dad has this disdain towards any phone that's not Apple or Samsung as if all other phones are a lower class. His face when I bought an LG G3 was priceless. :P

Rip

-

typing this on iPhone :) 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 hours ago, Bhav said:

Another one, my father just comes up to me today while my PC is on and gaming with some electric monitoring thing ....

I probably use my PC for gaming at a max average of 5 hours per day, also 12p an hour would literally be 1000w of usage, which is the limit of my PSU and I really cant believe just the PC is using up all that.

Now Im trying to find out how I can measure the amount of electricity my PC is using from the mains.

5nSYJ7X.png 

Remember power supplies are not 100% efficient. That 1000watts is an internal power not whats drawn from the wall. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 13/09/2016 at 8:25 AM, DeezNoNos said:

ooh hey look

2 hours ago, themctipers said:

Halp me

Oh god, poor you. I got 6 B's in my GCSEs .... And still got my ass handed to me for being a dumb failure.

A huge part of why Im now a broken depressed manchild on benefits forever.

Linus is my fetish.

2 hours ago, themctipers said:

Halp me

I try, but... 4 am + math = fail xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I work in a Tech retail store so my stories area about all things tech not just PC

*clicks neck*

*clicks neck*

*clicks neck*

• A customer asked if a bubble machine would set off a smoke alarm.
  • Another customer genuinely did not know how to spell Ebay.
  • A customer returned a SELF CLEANING oven to the store saying it broke when they put it in the sink.
  • A customer wanted to convert a 15 pin vga to serial then back to vga using adaptors.
  • A customer asked what the difference was between different colored wires (not connected to anything)
  • A customer returned a soldering iron complaining it didnt work, when he failed to clean the tip.

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

iPhone 7 hardware upgrade! sweet!!!

http://appleplugs.com/

I'm wondering how many are gonna actually buy this xD

Can't buy it unfortunately.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

5 hours ago, Bhav said:

5nSYJ7X.png 

That calculator over-esimates a lot of the time. By my guestimetion you should be around a 700 watt max,  but that's my guess.

6 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Can't buy it unfortunately.

67513045.jpg

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, Bhav said:

Oh god, poor you. I got 6 B's in my GCSEs .... And still got my ass handed to me for being a dumb failure.

A huge part of why Im now a broken depressed manchild on benefits forever.

I'll live on benefits for longer 

also I've been sorta depressed longer than most people's first time hearing the word depression in my age group. :)

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I try, but... 4 am + math = fail xD 

Teacher why you no teach? 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, bear-in-the-air said:

That calculator over-esimates a lot of the time. By my guestimetion you should be around a 700 watt max,  but that's my guess.

are you shure? i put it in another calculator and got this (i used exactly the same things ) 

Unbenannt.PNG

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

So I work at The Computer Store, and they have a help desk they contract out to one of the local internet providers.  Basically, we are the tech support for SRT.

Anyways, I'm at work one day and I get a call.  I answer it, and think of the stereotypical smart-ass know it all teenager.  That's who answers.

Anyways, I answer the phone.

Me: "Hello, this is kaiju_wars with SRT Internet Help Desk, how can I help you this evening?"

Customer: "Yes, this is xxxxxx-xxxxxxxx and my internet isn't working.  I need help with it."
Me: "Alright sir, what exactly is happening, did it just start, what lights are on on the modem?"

Customer: "It's my internet, not the modem, I know what I'm doing, I know about this tech stuff."

Anyways, I had him restart the modem (you'll be surprised how much a simple power cycle of a modem, PC, or even your phone can fix something.  Something I learned in college, for all those, "did you restart it" smartasses.)

That didn't work.  I checked the session, he had one.  I checked line stats, he had internet going through.  Okay.  Had him power down again and check and reseat cables.  Make sure none of the ports or cables going into the modem were damaged, nothing.  

Still not working.  I decided to get into his modem.  Looks like he might of hit the WiFi button.  I have him hit the button again on his modem.  Oh look, WLAN light comes on, still no internet.  I had him on hold while I was in the modem and after I had him hit the WiFi button, so I could quickly check line stats and see what my Network Operations wanted me to do.  (I started there only three weeks ago).

They recommend a factory reset of the modem, and I'll have to go back in and reprogram it.  
I get the kid off of hold:
Me: "Okay sir, I woul-"

Customer: "Hey my internet started working, let me look at the router!"
Me: "Sir, it started working again?"
Customer: "Oh... it went out again.  Everything shut off."
Me: "What happened?"
Customer: "Oh, my internet started working so I decided to shake my router."

Me: "......You decided to... physically... shake your modem?"

Yeah kid, you sure, "know about this tech stuff."  Fucking hell.  Ends up that really forced it to need a factory reset. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

2 hours ago, TiberiusMoon said:

Another customer genuinely did not know how to spell Ebay.

To be fair, it's technically, eBay.

I don't blame him for asking most smoke machines and hazers set off smoke alarms, while a bubble machine is less likely, if it popped on it it could be trigered

3 hours ago, TiberiusMoon said:

A customer asked if a bubble machine would set off a smoke alarm.

2 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

Alright

might of

All right*

Might have*

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

6 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

All right*

Might have*

*Alright.  Either form is technically correct.

Might of, granted it's considered incorrect if I'm writing my college thesis, not so much when talking on a forum.

But if you are trying to correct me because I corrected someone on the spelling of eBay... he's the one complaining of people not being able to spell it.