Experiences with non-techies

3 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

LOL THAT WAS BAD. I think the trojan did this went once a tech noob plugged in a usb into my computer and suddenly everything got deleted:/

even safe mode had viruses.

running task manager was blocked

im glad i unplugged my drives and network drives :) who knows what would've happened if i didnt..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

even safe mode had viruses.

running task manager was blocked

im glad i unplugged my drives and network drives :) who knows what would've happened if i didnt..

i mean what was that. i would have just thrown the hdd then. What can be THIS nad. usually it just slows ur computer and then u run an anti-virus then all is good

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Just now, DeezNoNos said:

i mean what was that. i would have just thrown the hdd then. What can be THIS nad. usually it just slows ur computer and then u run an anti-virus then all is good

but the hard drive had everything from 2008 - 2015 or so

and i mean photos... lots of photos. like a photoalbulm except a few tb large.

the other hard drive i would even be more pissed at -- all my files. everything

my nas is just a bunch of... very legal movies in chinese.. well my parents.

its also full of.... "software" that is..

i ran malwarebytes and it couldn't clear it :( had to scrap the w10 installation.. ran ubuntu from usb and copied files xD

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

but the hard drive had everything from 2008 - 2015 or so

and i mean photos... lots of photos. like a photoalbulm except a few tb large.

the other hard drive i would even be more pissed at -- all my files. everything

my nas is just a bunch of... very legal movies in chinese.. well my parents.

its also full of.... "software" that is..

i ran malwarebytes and it couldn't clear it :( had to scrap the w10 installation.. ran ubuntu from usb and copied files xD

that is bad chinese(hummmm) well they make good action movies. At least i saw one while on a cathay pacific flight from vancouver( the guy sitting next to me was watching with head phones)

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

On January 16, 2013 at 4:16 AM, RobbieX27 said:

People thinking they can download RAM....

Well you can dedicate some of your SSD to be very slow RAM

36 minutes ago, Darchitect said:

you can use any storage for that, it's called "page file" ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

40 minutes ago, Darchitect said:

Windows already does this by default.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

discovered Mr. Robot yesterday ... couldn't stop pinching myself, I mean seriously! A tech TV show that is actually accurate??? :o

BTW I'm currently at ep5 of season 1! LOVE IT!

Grandma was mad at me because i told her i was saving up for a new laptop to use at school, she gave me a long lecture of how wastefull it would be to buy a new computer when i have a perfectly good one that i rarely use (she was referring to my z600 server/nas wich is sitting in a rack with the most sketchy pile of random old drives (there are a few 8tb drives that came with it in there too) hooked up to it) 

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

45 minutes ago, Strando123 said:

Grandma was mad at me because i told her i was saving up for a new laptop to use at school, she gave me a long lecture of how wastefull it would be to buy a new computer when i have a perfectly good one that i rarely use (she was referring to my z600 server/nas wich is sitting in a rack with the most sketchy pile of random old drives (there are a few 8tb drives that came with it in there too) hooked up to it) 

So she expected you to lug that heavy thing and a monitor with you to school, which would probably break your back (not literally, of course, at least I hope not...),  not to mention the risks that come with taking a desktop to an environment where it could get shoved and kicked around? 

OK then... I'll just walk away slowly....

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

So she expected you to lug that heavy thing and a monitor with you to school, which would probably break your back (not literally, of course, at least I hope not...),  not to mention the risks that come with taking a desktop to an environment where it could get shoved and kicked around? 

OK then... I'll just walk away slowly....

I lug around a core duo laptop

is it bad that my grandma is good at tech? xD 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

9 minutes ago, themctipers said:

I lug around a core duo laptop

is it bad that my grandma is good at tech? xD 

No, it's great that tour grandma's good at tech! 

Plus that's different. That's a laptop that probably weighs 10 lb at most. A workstation plus monitor must weigh 20-30 lb if not more, not to mention how much bigger and harder to set up it is. 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

discovered Mr. Robot yesterday ... couldn't stop pinching myself, I mean seriously! A tech TV show that is actually accurate??? :o

BTW I'm currently at ep5 of season 1! LOVE IT!

I hated it, it's weird AF. Plus like 80% of the episodes are him talking to himself or being a psycho. It's to weird

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

7 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I hated it, it's weird AF. Plus like 80% of the episodes are him talking to himself or being a psycho. It's to weird

That's why I like it, people ARE weird, have secrets, talk to themselves, etc... of course, not to this extreme, I personally don't have an imaginary "audience" I talk to! xD

I also love it because the show is accurate when it comes to computers, it doesn't look like any of these;

5 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

That's why I like it, people ARE weird, have secrets, talk to themselves, etc... of course, not to this extreme, I personally don't have an imaginary "audience" I talk to! xD

I also love it because the show is accurate when it comes to computers, it doesn't look like any of these;

Tv shows and IT, two things that dont go together unless you want comedy for techies.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

apparently, Facebook has NO IDEA how online surveys work ...

One just appeared on my timeline minutes ago, it asked lots of questions about different online "services" and tech stuff like the Occulus ... I replied, told them what service or tech I used or have, I also replied that didn't tried or owned the Occulus ... that answer was followed by 12 questions about my experience using the Occulus!

61431889.jpg

3 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

One just appeared on my timeline minutes ago, it asked lots of questions about different online "services" and tech stuff like the Occulus ... I replied, told them what service or tech I used or have, I also replied that didn't tried or owned the Occulus ... that answer was followed by 12 questions about my experience using the Occulus!

61431889.jpg

i7 is way faster than an i5

ignoring the fact that the i7 is ivy bridge and the i5 is from 2010..

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

8 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

61431889.jpg

"This is why its cold Experience  with non-techies"

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

i7 is way faster than an i5

ignoring the fact that the i7 is ivy bridge and the i5 is from 2010..

I think you quoted the wrong person! xD

Why the fuck do I see your messages 3 times?

Spoiler

|| Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 || i5 3570 @3.5GHz || Zalman CNPS10X Optima || 8GB RAM HyperX Fury Blue @ 1600MHz || Thermaltake Berlin 630W || Zalman Z11 || Gainward Phantom GTX 970 || 120GB Kingston V300  (Gift) + 1TB  WD Green

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 8

Tablet: iPad Mini 2

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

I think you quoted the wrong person! xD

yup.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, arvark said:

Why the fuck do I see your messages 3 times?

What do you mean?

EDIT : I just realized what you mean lol somehow this fits perfectly in this thread! xD

On July 21, 2016 at 1:41 AM, themctipers said:

here in suburban toronto it stays connected until ~-130 LTE

and then it goes searching

usually it will find -127 3G but its fucking useless.. I can't even place a phone call

heres the stupid thing, it usually connects to 3G all the time

even airplane/reboot won't help.

if you're lucky it connects to LTE but quickly switchs to 3G when it reaches ~-120.

if 3G is too shitty, well too fucking bad it stays 3G unless there is no 3G it goes to phone calls only.. not even edge.

signal strenght is around 100 LTE to no service.

the thing is -130 lte is usuable and -120 3G is unusuable

What do those - numbers mean?  

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

What do those - numbers mean?  

-40 or below = perfect signal expect

10db = double the power of the signal 

-70 to -90 is normal

-90 or higher is weak

-110 3G is starting to be unusuable

-110 LTE is approaching 10mb download 

-120 or higher 3G starts to drop calls

-125+ LTE drops calls and no data 

the he higher the number the worse the signal. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I work in IT so I get asked the most obvious questions sometimes like you wouldn't believe....

this lady once asked me if her two monitors were two separate computers...she had one computer and two monitors...yeah this actually happened.