Experiences with non-techies

5 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Isn't that enough though? 8 for the first card and then 4 each for the second and third cards?  Assuming the mb supported 3 way SLI.  Some boards do support 3 way don't they?  

I'd have to check the manual for my Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 mb but I could've sworn it says if you were to plug in 3 cards (it'd have to be for crossfire since my board only allows/supports 2 way SLI.) that it would divide the PCIE lanes between the slots that way: 8-4-4.  

For AMD cards it's possible to work at x4 speeds but probably won't work well, Nvidia cards will only support SLI at x8 speeds and higher.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 7/24/2016 at 2:24 AM, Comic_Sans_MS said:

On 7/24/2016 at 2:05 AM, Samsonsuperco said:

On 7/24/2016 at 2:25 AM, themctipers said:

I work for a school IT department and we are upgrading to all i5 and i7 machines along with SSDs. Nothing is saved locally on the machines so there is no need for large drives. Our one lab has all i7-6700 Lenovos (M800s to be exact and they have pain in the ass NICs).

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I work for a school IT department and we are upgrading to all i5 and i7 machines along with SSDs. Nothing is saved locally on the machines so there is no need for large drives. Our one lab has all i7-6700 Lenovos (M800s to be exact and they have pain in the ass NICs).

What is happening to the old i5 computers and why are they upgrading them?

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

What is happening to the old i5 computers and why are they upgrading them?

Not from i5 to i7, we are upgrading from C2D and C2Q to both i5 and i7.

Edit: and the occasional P4

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Not from i5 to i7, we are upgrading from C2D and C2Q to both i5 and i7.

Edit: and the occasional P4

Oh, that makes more sense.

8 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Isn't that enough though? 8 for the first card and then 4 each for the second and third cards?  Assuming the mb supported 3 way SLI.  Some boards do support 3 way don't they?  

I'd have to check the manual for my Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 mb but I could've sworn it says if you were to plug in 3 cards (it'd have to be for crossfire since my board only allows/supports 2 way SLI.) that it would divide the PCIE lanes between the slots that way: 8-4-4.  

Nvidia puts an artificial limit so that their cards must be in x8 or x16 mode to operate. AMD does not. So you could do 8-4-4 but only with AMD cards, not Nvidia ones.

10 hours ago, 69ing Rainbow Dash said:

in that case I posted a thread earlier about a laptop that I have was having trouble and confirmed it was the hard drive and we sent it in and hp says nothing was wrong with it of course.

I contacted Alienware support as a "test" if I could max out some game on 3 4k monitors and they said I would need 3 titan z's

3 Titan Zs?!? Oh god, there's so much wrong with that I don't even know where to start!

P.S. Your thing says you live in SoCal.... Do you live in LA by any chance? Cuz if you do, then maybe finally, for realz I've found the probably only other active person on this forum who lives in LA! :D 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Nvidia puts an artificial limit so that their cards must be in x8 or x16 mode to operate. AMD does not. So you could do 8-4-4 but only with AMD cards, not Nvidia ones.

3 Titan Zs?!? Oh god, there's so much wrong with that I don't even know where to start!

P.S. Your thing says you live in SoCal.... Do you live in LA by any chance? Cuz if you do, then maybe finally, for realz I've found the probably only other active person on this forum who lives in LA! :D 

nope, about an hour away.

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

1 hour ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

god im a teacher id love my school to upgrade our systems. i teach design technology so i teach a lot of cad. our systems are all old AMD apu's. in an hour lesson im lucky if everyone in my class is up and running in design software within the first 30 minutes. even small ssd's in each system would be amazing. a single i7 system on campus would make my life easier. 

a couple of weeks ago i took an entire class worth of STL files home and spent hours rendering them on my own personal hardware, they'd be screwed if i didnt have it or didnt care. 

4 minutes ago, LordLeewee said:

god im a teacher id love my school to upgrade our systems. i teach design technology so i teach a lot of cad. our systems are all old AMD apu's. in an hour lesson im lucky if everyone in my class is up and running in design software within the first 30 minutes. even small ssd's in each system would be amazing. a single i7 system on campus would make my life easier. 

a couple of weeks ago i took an entire class worth of STL files home and spent hours rendering them on my own personal hardware, they'd be screwed if i didnt have it or didnt care. 

We got a $200,000 budget this year for upgrades and since volume licenses last forever for the most part, it makes sense to purchase systems that will last a long time.

43 minutes ago, 69ing Rainbow Dash said:

nope, about an hour away.

Ah.... Dang it. I'll have to keep looking then :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

On 7/19/2016 at 11:31 PM, themctipers said:

when someone says this android phone is running ios because they skinned it to look like ios

Ah, one of the many things I love about Android. Skin your phone to make it look like whatever the hell you want, albeit an iPhone or Live Tiles like Windows Phone...

On 7/19/2016 at 11:46 PM, AluminiumTech said:

When your mom has no idea what your phone has and thinks "It's not an iphone, so it has to be a samsung". xD.

*See below*

On 7/19/2016 at 11:47 PM, themctipers said:

People that complain that their iPhone 4's can't run Pokemon Go.

People that complain that their iPhone 4s is laggy.

People that complain that their iPhone 5 is too small.

People that complain that their iPhone 6s isn't jailbroken

when 99% of your class thinks that android is exclusive to samsung and every other thing is a ripoff

*See below*

On 7/19/2016 at 11:49 PM, kerbingamer376 said:

I hate this one. Phones seem to be divided by most people into "IPhone", "Samsung" and "crappy nokia"

I fucking hate this shit. Apparently there are only 2 phone manufacturers in the whole world. Apple with the iPhone, and Samsung with the S and Note series. What about all the other Android manufacturers? HTC, LG, Blackberry, OnePlus, nope, ever heard of them, they must never exist. To be honest though, it's half the consumer's fault and the other half is those companies for not spending enough on marketing and getting their names out there.

And any problems with Touchwiz, they'll automatically blame Google. Why is my S4 slow? Why are there so many problems? Must be Google's fault for making Android this way, instead of blaming Samsung for not optimizing their (older) phones.

13 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Wait a second.... He got 3 way sli, but the 4770k only has 16 pcie lanes! You cheeky little bastard! You lied to us! We trusted you, yet you still lied to us! *cries* Unless that rog board had a plx chip.... :P 

What is this PLX chip, this is new to me.....

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

To be honest, the 8X limit doesn't even matter anymore since Nvidia forces 2-way SLI max with the 10-series cards...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

7 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Ah.... Dang it. I'll have to keep looking then :P 

While ubseacrh if anyone is from our city, I am searching for people from my country

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

A guy in YouTube comments was complaining that his PC with 390X and 16GB of RAM runs Space Engineers at 20FPS (he did not say which CPU he has) and this is one of the replies:

that is the problem probably, prebuilt computers are highly optimized to work with all other hardware. when putting together a computer yourself however, you lose that optimization. your computer doesnt last as long or work as efficiently as it could unless you set it up properly yourself. my computer is a prebuilt computer that has 35,000 hours of up time with nothing but a video card swapped out and it still runs almost as great as the day i got it. not to mention that it still has several years to go and many more graphics intense games to be played.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

48 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

A guy in YouTube comments was complaining that his PC with 390X and 16GB of RAM runs Space Engineers at 20FPS (he did not say which CPU he has) and this is one of the replies:

You just know an employee at a store that sells prebuilt pc´s said that to him

1 hour ago, matrix07012 said:

Lol the computer may be optimized, but that game sure isn't. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 hour ago, matrix07012 said:

That isn't his fault. It happened to me on big ass maps with my build when I had 2 780s playing on the smallest res and on a 4770k

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

7 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

Lol the computer may be optimized, but that game sure isn't. 

5 minutes ago, 69ing Rainbow Dash said:

That isn't his fault. It happened to me on big ass maps with my build when I had 2 780s playing on the smallest res and on a 4770k

yeah, that game optimization was done by someone rolling their face on a keyboard!

A quick search will show LOTS of people having performance issues with the game, even some saying they get more FPS when putting some settings on medium instead of low! xD

That said, the comment about pre-build is BS, the guy obviously has no idea how PC work.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

8 hours ago, Fgtfv567 said:

What is this PLX chip, this is new to me.....

Oh, it's like a chip that can be added onto the motherboard by motherboard manufacturers that basically shares the bandwidth of the pcie lanes from the CPU to the different pcie slots (sorta like a network switch). It unfortunately costs a lot of money and introduces a small amount of latency but it can, for example, take 16 pcie lanes from the CPU and split it into 48 lanes so that you can run 4 way sli in x16/x16/x8/x8. It's used mostly in high end non lga 2011 mobos.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

yeah, that game optimization was done by someone rolling their face on a keyboard!

A quick search will show LOTS of people having performance issues with the game, even some saying they get more FPS when putting some settings on medium instead of low! xD

That said, the comment about pre-build is BS, the guy obviously has no idea how PC work.

yeah I posted about it on the forums. everyone gets all butthurt when I say it sucks and fanboys over it saying it's not the devs fault lol playing at a 640x480 res.

15 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Better than my personal computer and ~80% of LTT

Steal a 6700 and donate to me c: my CPU is 105c while load in minecraft 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Wow, this has been inactive for like 10 hours now. I was gonna make up a story but then i thought of a very non-techie story that i had to solve. Let's call me "Tim", even though that's not from my native language and that's not my name.

(My mom gets a call from my grandmother saying that she had a problem and that stars and stuff were appearing on her "computer")

Mom - Hey Tim! Get down here, your grandmother needs some help with computers!

(i go downstairs where she was and go to my grandmother's house which is like 4 car seconds away)

Grandmother - Hey, welcome! ;), i need help, stars are appearing on my computer screen!

Tim - I think it's probably something stupid but whatever, i'll try.

(Tim goes upstairs to realize it's Windows Update)

Tim - Grandmother, this is just your computer updating.

(like 15 minutes of explaining what Windows Update is, she was just trying to do a small thing on the PC to count her health watch's steps and stuff.)

Tim - Now it's updating again (new build being installed), you'll have to wait a few hours for this one. 

Grandmother - Okay...

(not related to tech and non-tech mix 5 minute story goes here)

Grandmother - Okay, thanks!

Tim - No problem!

and the story ends with Tim going to his house.

and no the story above this text is not made up.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

6 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Wow, this has been inactive for like 10 hours now. I was gonna make up a story but then i thought of a very non-techie story that i had to solve. Let's call me "Tim", even though that's not from my native language and that's not my name.

(My mom gets a call from my grandmother saying that she had a problem and that stars and stuff were appearing on her "computer")

Mom - Hey Tim! Get down here, your grandmother needs some help with computers!

(i go downstairs where she was and go to my grandmother's house which is like 4 car seconds away)

Grandmother - Hey, welcome! ;), i need help, stars are appearing on my computer screen!

Tim - I think it's probably something stupid but whatever, i'll try.

(Tim goes upstairs to realize it's Windows Update)

Tim - Grandmother, this is just your computer updating.

(like 15 minutes of explaining what Windows Update is, she was just trying to do a small thing on the PC to count her health watch's steps and stuff.)

Tim - Now it's updating again (new build being installed), you'll have to wait a few hours for this one. 

Grandmother - Okay...

(not related to tech and non-tech mix 5 minute story goes here)

Grandmother - Okay, thanks!

Tim - No problem!

and the story ends with Tim going to his house.

and no the story above this text is not made up.

Wait, what? Stars? During Windows update? I'm very confused....

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Seen today ;

kid thinks you need to "hack" games to get resolutions above 1080p to work ... *sigh*

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On 23.7.2016 at 0:03 PM, Atmos said:

Certainly not running a technical support line for a major isp in the us!   /s

Honestly? That's exactly where I expect them. Service Desk/Callcenters don't need people who know about tech, they fill spots with people who can follow a spreadsheet. 2nd Level is where the people who actually know stuff sit.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Seen today ;

kid thinks you need to "hack" games to get resolutions above 1080p to work ... *sigh*

Kids these days

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.