Experiences with non-techies

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

i meant

for a rank not hardware just some "special privalges"

of being hated on..

I'm sorry could you clarify what you mean?  

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm sorry could you clarify what you mean?  

I meant like the spent over 1k usd on a rank on a server to get some "special" commands/stuff.. and being hated on :P 

especially if they use a macro on a "reaction based" typing thing. the server that i play on theres this thing in chat every 15m where the first person to type a phrase or something gets something but then said kid that spent 1k also has macros. like, really? 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

9 minutes ago, themctipers said:

I meant like the spent over 1k usd on a rank on a server to get some "special" commands/stuff.. and being hated on :P 

especially if they use a macro on a "reaction based" typing thing. the server that i play on theres this thing in chat every 15m where the first person to type a phrase or something gets something but then said kid that spent 1k also has macros. like, really? 

I don't play minecraft so I don't really understand what all that means.  

I think part of it is some dumbass is bragging about his kickass PC and on top of that he's stealing chat rewards from others before they have a chance to get it?

52 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I don't play minecraft so I don't really understand what all that means.  

I think part of it is some dumbass is bragging about his kickass PC and on top of that he's stealing chat rewards from others before they have a chance to get it?

Basically, people can operate Minecraft servers of their own. Other people can join the world(s) hosted on the servers. The operators can set restrictions on the players. (No griefing, no building outside of the designated area, no custom skins, etc...) Some server operators can lift restrictions or even grant special abilities or immunities to certain players who pay lots of money.

I assume that's correct anyways. I haven't played on a Minecraft server in ages. 

Adults are just kids with bigger wallets.

1 minute ago, J. Hammond said:

Basically, people can operate Minecraft servers of their own. Other people can join the world(s) hosted on the servers. The operators can set restrictions on the players. (No griefing, no building outside of the designated area, no custom skins, etc...) Some server operators can lift restrictions or even grant special abilities or immunities to certain players who pay lots of money.

I assume that's correct anyways. I haven't played on a Minecraft server in ages. 

pay to win with more incentives and kids

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

13 minutes ago, themctipers said:

pay to win with more incentives and kids

I hate pay to win.  It's one of things that's why most mobile games are crap.  Developers have flooded the apple App Store and android stores with a ton of POS games that essentially boil down to "do pointless boring stuff but speed things up if you pay lots of real money" and "you need this rare form of in game resource/currency that is so damn rare you pretty much have to pay lots of real money to keep playing".  

9 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Oh shut up :D 

Thing is, on my phone what it is is that I can tell the screen protector is cracked put under it there's this sort of plastic like stuff that's peeling off. I'm not 100% sure if that plastic stuff is from the screen protector or the screen, though it's probably the adhesive layer or the layer that goes above the adhesive of the screen protector since I can't think of any reason there would be a plastic like material on my screen. Also I have the OnePlus 2 and it has a plastic thing that goes all the way around the screen so I can't really see the screen from the side anyhow.

It doesn't really matter anyways though :) can't think of any reason why I should care.

The plastic stuff is a film between two layers of glass in a tempered glass screen protector, holding it together. This way glass doesn't fly everywhere or shatter as much when you drop it.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

15 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I'm curious what's this freezer technique you mention?

This device for reading a HDD do you mean an external dock?  Kind of looks like a toaster for HDDs. 

You our mean he bought 4GB of DDR2 for $70?  Why would such old RAM cost that much?

don't know if anyone answered but the freezer technique is this;

http://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux

Also seems like this kid was just making up stories, there's no way that the reading head of ANY hard drive would puncture holes in a platter, and it's also impossible that the platter "was split" ... when a HDD platter fail, it literally shatters in LOTS of pieces and it would make a horrendous sound, for sure this kid was making up stories to sound interesting!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

34 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Also seems like this kid was just making up stories, there's no way that the reading head of ANY hard drive would puncture holes in a platter, and it's also impossible that the platter "was split" ... when a HDD platter fail, it literally shatters in LOTS of pieces and it would make a horrendous sound, for sure this kid was making up stories to sound interesting!

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

AAA fucking phone.

What I wanted to say was: it was a good read tho

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

16 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

AAA fucking phone.

What I wanted to say was: it was a good read tho

yeah somehow missed that on my first read, but when I saw it again I realized it didn't make any sense, I've seen HDD with shattered glass platter before, and you can hear there's something wrong just by handling it. It makes awful noises, it really is impossible to miss!

EDIT: oh, and I totally get the "fuckin phone" comment seeing as half my replies are from my phone! xD

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

I have never seen that hdd freezing trick actually work, ai have tried in on a few hdds and it never worked.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

On July 24, 2016 at 6:52 AM, Atmos said:

Another long story dump?

Another long story dump...

And its in a spoiler now, because it actually turned out a lot longer than I thought it would.

Reveal hidden contents

Alright, back during my highschool years I became known at some point as being the super tech-knowledgeable guy in my group of friends, which slowly spread to my girlfriend's group of shitty friends. I was pretty bad at hiding my nerdy side, but w/e.

One of my girlfriend's friends at the time wanted to get into pc gaming, and had asked her to get me to help him, since he knew, that I knew computers... I got suckered into it, because of course I can't say no.

I get to this kids house out in LA, expecting to help him assemble and setup a pretty standard gaming pc. Now, I should point out I freaking hated this guy, he was one of the party hard, drink hard, drug hard, absent minded 24/7 guys. A complete and total tool. I pull into his drive in my nsx initially thinking I would have to be careful, that's a damn nice car to leave out on the street in LA... Nope... Gated driveway with a freaking rolls royce phantom in front of the garage. suddenly I lost all my brag points o.O

Ring the bell, his father I presume answers the door and gives me directions to his son's flat behind the house. I walk back and am greeted by, let's call him Eric.

Eric shows me his abode, and tells me we need to swing out to get the parts for the pc. Whatever, I get to work with computers and get away from doing nothing for a little while so I agree. We walk back around to the front of the house, his dad is pulling out car care stuff from his garage. 

Eric turns and says something like "We're going out to get the parts for the pc now"

His dad responds rather dismissively "Keep it under 6" and I assume he's talking about 600$ like a freaking moron and mention that 600$ probably isnt enough to get the kind of computer that Eric wants. His dad corrects me with "$6,000; that's what left of his limit this month." before eying me over like I said something absurd. .-.

We get to the store and Eric immediately jumps into the case section like a child in a candy store. "I want the best case, which is the best."

"Well, cases are mostly subjective. There are some that have more features, but generally just get what you think is nice. Most of these here are at least decent quality."

Which... was a mistake. He looked at them all, and was visibly distressed. I mean like when you present someone with something they can't handle, he looked like he was literally going to have a panic attack. "I don't know what to fucking look for man, just which is the best?!"

I take a brief look and point at a generic thermaltake case that had some foam padding for better acoustics. "Dope, let's get that then." w/e its his money. They didn't really have anything that great anyway, just a load of generic raidmax and antec cases.

Storage... All ssd's because... Well... He read that ssds are best. To be honest, the budget was large enough for em, so it didn't matter.

Cpu... 4770k, because it was the best they had in stock. Once again, what ever, it's his money and at least it will last longer than an I5.

32gbs of ram, because he wouldn't be talked out of getting 16. "Does having more ram hurt it?" he said, "Well... No, but it doesn't help at all..." I replied. "Then its settled. 32gbs of ram."

some pretty generic asus rog board that tickled his fancy; but now we get to the best part.

We get over to picking out gpus, and he immediately grabs a sales associate and demands that three titans be brought out for him. I stop him real quick and inform him that the 780ti that is on sale right over here, is faster, for less money. This apparently made no sense to him "But... it costs less... how can it be better?"

"Well... It doesn't support professional applications like [x] and [x]"

"But I want to be a professional gamer, won't that like hurt me?"

"Nope, not in the slightest. Trust me on this, get the 780ti."

He caves and gets three 780tis' despite me telling him the third is almost entirely useless, and may only add 5-8% performance when it works. To which he responded with something like "But its still better when it works, right?"

We get out of the store, and head back to his place to build the computer. After it was built I loaded up W7 on it and I'm just about ready to head out when his dad stops by and says something like "Those monitors you got are here Eric, they're out front." His dad pauses for a moment looking at the computer with its side panel off, all neatly cable managed and looking swoll (Im so sorry for using that word).

"That's pretty good, How much of that did you do Eric?" His father asked, looking at his son. Who just sat there nodding his head with a shit-eating grin the whole time. Literally didnt say a word, just nodded his head the whole time.

I kid you not, his dad let out an audible sigh and lowered his head, looking over at me as I sit there in this now stupidly awkward moment. He looked just so... disappointed in his son that I actually felt really bad for him. The father and I walked back to the front of the house while Eric unboxed the monitors he bought; he told me that he knew his son was a complete, and I quote here "Failure" and thanked me for helping him. We talked briefly about cars or something, but he then dropped me a 50 for the gas and trouble, and I was on my way pretty quick.

To my knowledge, Eric uses his $4000 computer to play only minecraft and call of duty. I... I don't even know anymore.

Reveal hidden contents

And so that... I guess... Is the story of the time I built a computer for a "failure" of a son. Damn his dad was just freaking brutally honest; seems like the kind of guy I could get to like :3

Uhh, spoilers seem to be broken. Might make a thread on it once I've gotten a bit of sleep.

Wait a second.... He got 3 way sli, but the 4770k only has 16 pcie lanes! You cheeky little bastard! You lied to us! We trusted you, yet you still lied to us! *cries* Unless that rog board had a plx chip.... :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

do people who do tech support at hp, dell etc count as non techies?

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

3 minutes ago, 69ing Rainbow Dash said:

IMO, depends on which level of tech support. Level 1, probably yes, they just read from their manual, based on the problem you're having.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 minutes ago, 69ing Rainbow Dash said:

Because apparenly having 63.5/64gb usage on my iPhone while having only 5 apps exceed 1gb is normal 

and apparenly 45fps is the same as 90fps (no difference) because the "eye can't see it"

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

in that case I posted a thread earlier about a laptop that I have was having trouble and confirmed it was the hard drive and we sent it in and hp says nothing was wrong with it of course.

I contacted Alienware support as a "test" if I could max out some game on 3 4k monitors and they said I would need 3 titan z's

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

1 hour ago, SLAYR said:

I have never seen that hdd freezing trick actually work, ai have tried in on a few hdds and it never worked.

I wouldn't know if it works since I never tried it, I just know about it! xD

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Wait a second.... He got 3 way sli, but the 4770k only has 16 pcie lanes! You cheeky little bastard! You lied to us! We trusted you, yet you still lied to us! *cries* Unless that rog board had a plx chip.... :P 

Isn't that enough though? 8 for the first card and then 4 each for the second and third cards?  Assuming the mb supported 3 way SLI.  Some boards do support 3 way don't they?  

I'd have to check the manual for my Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 mb but I could've sworn it says if you were to plug in 3 cards (it'd have to be for crossfire since my board only allows/supports 2 way SLI.) that it would divide the PCIE lanes between the slots that way: 8-4-4.  

4 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Thank you for answering that.  I'd never heard of that before.

Today, a counselor at the camp I go to said that we shouldn't leave computers on because it "uses up the images" and if you leave a website open longer it makes the computer more susceptible to viruses. 

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

1 minute ago, BingoFishy said:

Today, a counselor at the camp I go to said that we shouldn't leave computers on because it "uses up the images" and if you leave a website open longer it makes the computer more susceptible to viruses. 

By that logic, HDD's use up the images.... what? do they fill garbage data to the images? why only images?

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

2 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

Well they're right if they meant that turning computers off when not being used will prolong their lifespan from not putting extra wear on the components.

But exactly what they said deserves a goodnatured slap upside the head.  To help knock some sense into them.  For Harry Potter's own good.  ?

(Sorry to anyone who doesn't understand that reference.  If you don't please go read the books.  They're "magical" haha.  lol)

6 hours ago, themctipers said:

Because apparenly having 63.5/64gb usage on my iPhone while having only 5 apps exceed 1gb is normal 

and apparenly 45fps is the same as 90fps (no difference) because the "eye can't see it"

Ummm..  You do know if you have lots of apps they take up space right?  Also so does iMessages, apps can have additional days beyond the actual app itself, pictures, music, etc.  If you haven't already look in the settings under usage.  It's surprising sometimes how much space can seemingly disappear without you noticing.

7 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Ummm..  You do know if you have lots of apps they take up space right?  Also so does iMessages, apps can have additional days beyond the actual app itself, pictures, music, etc.  If you haven't already look in the settings under usage.  It's surprising sometimes how much space can seemingly disappear without you noticing.

No, I literally mean it got zapped for no reason. I only had 3 or 4 apps that exceed 1gb and ~90 apps in total. Hell, 50 were under 100mb. I added all of the all storage and it was ~10gb.. 

It was all under settings -> usage

I finally jailbroken and the first thing I did was run iCleaner. I got 30gb back..

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.