Experiences with non-techies

Jesus so many people arguing over the placement of a symbol when in reality it doesn't matter. If the meaning is understood, and you're not in an assessed situation, the only reason to correct someone is to show off or express superiority in some way.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

That will play fallout 4 at at least high settings

It plays fine on ultra. Even on low, I can't tell it's on low settings.

Pfft, I can't even tell if my monitor is on or not

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

You might need to see an optometrist...

Gaming is the only thing stopping me from going over to Linux full-time on my personal machines. When the answer to "how do I play this game on Linux?" is "dual-boot Windows", I'm not swapping over. I need to be able to do EVERYTHING on Linux before I swap.

have you considered WINE i beleive that would make it totally feasable to move over to linux (although ive never used wine so i dont know myself)

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

People thinking they can download RAM....

LOL my friend's little brother ran out of space on his iPod, and my friend got in trouble for refusing to download more storage space for him. xD

Black and green build, I call it "Murphy". - CPU: Intel i5 4690k at 3.5 GHz - GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force - RAM: 8GB 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (gold) - PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2 - Storage: 240GB Corsair Force LE SSD & 1TB Western Digital Black HDD - Case: Corsair Carbide 300r - Lighting: 2 green Logisys LED sticks (currently removed)

have you considered WINE i beleive that would make it totally feasable to move over to linux (although ive never used wine so i dont know myself)

not everything works properly in WiNE... only the more tested programs...

I have considered WINE but it doesn't work for all of my games.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

My dad worked at an advertising company (I'm sure he still does. He's been there for almost 17-ish years). Every time a computer had to be set up or some expensive server had to be set up, I'd be the first one called in to either build or troubleshoot. I wanted to make sure I taught him a few things before I left, such as how to set up the old Pentium printing computer they used, the printer itself, or the local server that stored all of their work. Going in there to work on things was always a hassle, since I'm not so big on working on servers or older computers. Despite my teaching efforts, I still go in there and fix/set up/troubleshoot things. We'll see how long they need me for.  ;)

"I'm playing Fortnite on a Nintendo Switch at 10 fps and somehow, someway, still managed to dunk on these nerds."

- Me, 2019

Ah yes...

Back in September I was taking a computer class with that awesome tech teacher. He asked the class the following question: "What does a computer need to turn on?"

Below are some of the responses: 

• A hard drive 
  • The Internet (like 10 people said this)
  • Power
  • A mouse 
  • Google (I began snickering here)
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Facebook (I almost lost control here but regained it)

Finally I couldn't take it anymore and stated that a BIOS was needed, which would load when power was provided to the system, initiate and run through the P-O-S-T, then hand control over to the OS of choice. The classes' reaction:

profile_picture_by_poker_face_plz-d4k4po

After the teacher complimented on my excellent response, I heard some kids muttering:

• That kid is a nerd.
  • That kid is a retard.
  • Dafuq is a BIOS? Is that a website?
  • Dafuq is a POST? Do you post it on Facebook?
  • Dafuq is an OS?

EDIT: If you are using the night theme the picture may look weird. Sorry.

I mean, it does need power to turn on.

The technician at our school just accidentally unblocked everything.

what's next?  he'll "accidentally" give everyone admin privileges.

Got an RC? head over to The Rc Thread and tell us about it, or you can just discuss rc in general there as well.

overly obsessed with 2 strokes and RCs

BRAAAAAAPPP

Spoiler

upgrading to:i5 6600k|MSI  z170a SLI Plus|1x8GB HYPERX Black| keeping the rest of my system the same for a few months until i have enough money for a better gpu,psu and an m.2 ssd

Spoiler

my baby:2008 Ktm 125 sx 

Spoiler

current rig:core 2 quad q6600@stock|asus p5q deluxe| 4GB of mix matched ddr2| saphirre r9 270x dual x| hyper212 evo w/ 2 sp120s| corsair cx 500m ikr time bomb| wd blue 1TB| corsair spec- 03|MSX home 64bit|

I mean, it does need power to turn on.

Honestly, how do you get called a retard for LITERALLY knowing more than THE ENTIRE CLASS?!

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Honestly, how do you get called a retard for LITERALLY knowing more than THE ENTIRE CLASS?!

It's called anti-intellectualism aka "smart shaming". Sadly it is still very prevalent in a large portion of American culture, especially among viewers of Fox "News".

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

One of my cousins didn't even have the correct resolution set for his monitor and had all his games on the lowest settings because he thought he had a bad system (it's not great but with the game he has it ran them on med-high - he is 16).

My sister also thinks that because she isn't using firefox her computer isn't using the internet

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

It's called anti-intellectualism aka "smart shaming". Sadly it is still very prevalent in a large portion of American culture, especially among viewers of Fox "News".

I feel like they know they're dumb and just make fun of others to maintain their own self-esteem

One of my cousins didn't even have the correct resolution set for his monitor and had all his games on the lowest settings because he thought he had a bad system (it's not great but with the game he has it ran them on med-high - he is 16).

My sister also thinks that because she isn't using firefox her computer isn't using the internet

Has he ever used GeForce Experience or AMD Gaming Evolved?

Oh, then I guess all of my updates for Windows just magically fall out of the sky then!

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Another one:

found out another girl was buying an S6 Edge Plus for the full £600.

Told her to wait a month for the Galaxy S7. Her Note 3 is working fine.

The only reason she had to upgrade cos she was dumb enough to use her Note 3 in the bath and drop it in TWICE!

She didnt care and told me to sod off.

SMH, i hate it when people waste their money when a new product is right on the horizon 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Another one:

found out another girl was buying an S6 Edge Plus for the full £600.

Told her to wait a month for the Galaxy S7. Her Note 3 is working fine.

The only reason she had to upgrade cos she was dumb enough to use her Note 3 in the bath and drop it in TWICE!

She didnt care and told me to sod off.

SMH, i hate it when people waste their money when a new product is right on the horizon 

The thing is that the S7 is rumored to bring back water resistance. Literally wait 2 more months and have an amazing phone. There might even be an edge plus for the S7, so she would have had water resistance, a bigger screen and the curved edge. What the fuck.

I was a non-techie a year ago, but I've gotten better with computers ( somewhat ). I only read up to page 25 and really really made the attempt to follow the science discussion. Ok, so I have a gaming laptop with specs.

Motherboard: HM 87 ( not sure if that's right or not )

CPU: i7-5700 HQ

GPU: GTX 970M

Ram: 16gb

HDD: 1TB 7200RPM

Lab: Killer E2200 Game Networking

I think I got something decent, but I also feel like I got ripped off because it says I can play Fallout 4 on low settings. I got it specifically to play Fallout while on the road. Semi-driver.

Also, don't mean to be off topic. I'll build a gaming desktop once I have my own place.

At least medium settings 60fps

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

LOL my friend's little brother ran out of space on his iPod, and my friend got in trouble for refusing to download more storage space for him. xD

damned if u do, damned if u dont.

I have to deal with it so many times. Can't list how many people yell at me for being smarter than them, my classes are full of idiots, I only know a few of my friends that I can actually have an intellectual and deep conversation with. I enjoy having conversations with teachers much more than any of the students 9 times out of 10.

My technical knowledge and my extreme use of sarcasm are the things people hate a lot. 

(and having to deal with people bitching at your for having differing opinions) God I hate that more.

AND LOL. Fox is a group of big fat liars.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

damned if u do, damned if u dont.

I have to deal with it so many times. Can't list how many people yell at me for being smarter than them, my classes are full of idiots, I only know a few of my friends that I can actually have an intellectual and deep conversation with. I enjoy having conversations with teachers much more than any of the students 9 times out of 10.

My technical knowledge and my extreme use of sarcasm are the things people hate a lot. 

(and having to deal with people bitching at your for having differing opinions) God I hate that more.

I think Megan Kelly (can't remember the name exactly), a news anchor on Fox, got really fed up with some dick saying some homophobic shit, and rekt him. So good for her, hope she gets a job at a better station

My chemistry teacher's projector has been broken for about two months now. Today the school IT came in to give her a temporary replacement, but they didn't have all the stuff they needed to hook it up. Keep in mind that the teacher is a somewhat elderly lady, but their discussion went like this.

"We've got the projector, but we need a long VGA cable to run to it."
"Oh, I think I might have something." The teacher disappeared into a closet and reemerged with a power strip. "Will this work?"

The IT team was very polite in informing her that that was not a VGA cable.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

I swear, around half my likes on the forum but be thanks to my job and this thread xD

PC came in today with a bunch of things wrong with it, these won't be in order of discovery as I've forgotten, there were too many to keep the correct order.

1: All the drives (ODD excluded) installed upside down, not that bad but very odd.

2: Around 4x the amount of thermal paste that you're meant to have, was gooped (is that a word) around the cpu PCB

3: Possibly the result of number 2, there was some thermal paste inside the socket.
eeff95782a.jpg 

4: Phanteks cooler was installed without using the black stand off things

5: Fan was removed from Phanteks cooler which was also oriented a bit differently top - bottom airflow with only a fan on the side panel and one on the back of the case.

6: mATX standoffs used for an ATX motherboard, motherboard is having issues now.

7: motherboard looks like it's had something sticky spilled on the southbridge heatsink

8: in msconfig set max threads to 6 for an i7 6700

9: For pure gaming (mostly JC 3) paired a 6700 (non k) with a high end air cooler, 8GB RAM (not really enough for JC 3) and a GTX 960.

I'm fairly sure that's everything, may update post if I find the tenth thing...

Edit: 10: Pulled off ODD cover for some reason, unsure as to why (he bought it less than a month ago)
0a3d862f0a.jpg

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I think Family Guy put it best: "Everything Fox says is a lie.  Even true things - once said by Fox - become lies".

and it's true; one time I caught a glimpse of it before changing the channel, and they said "gas prices are going to be very volatile for the next little while" and immediately following that, for like the next several months, they were more stable than they had been in months  :lol:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.