Experiences with non-techies

Well now I think she doesnt care, as thank god shes letting me. She isnt mentioning it though, so I am a little nervous. Anyways heres the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 4.5ghz (Aimed OC)

CPU Cooler: Antec KUHLER H20 650

MOBO: AsRock Z97M-ITX/AC

RAM: 8GB G.Skill Value 1333mhz @ 2133 (Aimed OC)

Storage: 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar w/ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

GPU: Powercolor TurboDuo R9 290

Case: Silverstone SG13 (Meshed Front Ver.)

PSU: Included

Keyboard & Mouse: Coolermaster Devastator Bundle

Monitor: Acer G327HBLi

So there you have it. Sorry, but I probally wont make a build log. The reason I am posting this because I want everyone to know if this arguement continues.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

Must have been a happy trash man :P

can't forget old school ;)

I actually have one more story just for you!

(Yes hes no that bright when it comes to computers, and he did not read the Noctua mounting instructions as he threw them away ASWELL AS THE BOX, no refund)

He decided his computer was insuficcient for his new carrer; youtube. His old rig had a 660ti, fx 8350 and 8 gb of ram. So what did he do? He sold the pc to his younger brother for close to nothing and procceded to buy a whole new computer.

He paid 10000 NOK = 1,290.92 USD i shit you not. He bought: gtx 770 fx 8350 and 16gb of ram. Everything else was the excat same.

Im dead serious he actually did this

If this is the same guy, please take a jackhammer to his gonads, he doesn't have the right to reproduce and pass on his shit for brains to some poor children.

If this is the same guy, please take a jackhammer to his gonads, he doesn't have the right to reproduce and pass on his shit for brains to some poor children.

Don't worry, a clever girl won't let that happen. If he meets a gender-bent Peter Griffin tho, start worrying..

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

My friend wanted to game on his PC, so he got a GPU. He wanted me to help him over the phone to install it and he had a friend of his to help him, who was supposed to be "computer savvy". So, I tried to help him on the phone, but they wouldn't tell me what they were doing. Then they say "The card won't fit. The fan is too big." I go to his house because they needed my help and I thought it was awfully weird that the card wouldn't fit when it was a fairly small card for the size of his case. Turns out when I get to his house, they tried to fit the card into the case from outside the case. So, they open up the case, took off the expansion bracket for the PCI Express, and, between two expansion brackets (which left a gap for the GPU PCI Express slot), they tried to fit the GPU though the thin gap from outside the case. Yes, really.

My friend wanted to game on his PC, so he got a GPU. He wanted me to help him over the phone to install it and he had a friend of his to help him, who was supposed to be "computer savvy". So, I tried to help him on the phone, but they wouldn't tell me what they were doing. Then they say "The card won't fit. The fan is too big." I go to his house because they needed my help and I thought it was awfully weird that the card wouldn't fit when it was a fairly small card for the size of his case. Turns out when I get to his house, they tried to fit the card into the case from outside the case. So, they open up the case, took off the expansion bracket for the PCI Express, and, between two expansion brackets (which left a gap for the GPU PCI Express slot), they tried to fit the GPU though the thin gap from outside the case. Yes, really.

Sometimes you heard about stupid stuff you can understand from the non-tech savvy angle. This is just pure stupidity.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Sometimes you heard about stupid stuff you can understand from the non-tech savvy angle. This is just pure stupidity.

I know right. I couldn't believe it when they were trying it. I am surprised they didn't even damage the GPU.

Oh god, the gaming HTPCs I have on PCPartpicker are dying to played on that 50 in....

Still waiting for a manufacturer who knows how to balance CPUs and GPUs...

Wow your family just kinda sucks.... And why would that guy just take credit for something you did?

2011-3 or Haswell-E. That's the refresh, 2011 is older

dino PC makes some pretty good stuff. 

not the best but difinately in the top few. 

Well, knowing the way shops work, new probably means unopened rather than literally new.

like ''fresh'' stuff at the super market. 

been in a plane on a boat and in trucks for weeks. 

suuuuure. 

They're just not included in anyone's tech roadmap. They stray from the path and should be brought back to the right way

We need to have a tech version of Jehovah's Witness and go to everyone's door preaching the teachings of the almighty GabeN and our other saviours 

other people dont already do this?

shame. 

I recently saw someone use the term "high-performance $80 GTX with instant-cooling fans."

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

This was my reaction(s) at the same time.

tumblr_lqdyg2M6lp1r24lq9o1_250.giftumblr_lubddc1bb51r24lq9o1_250.gif

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I don't know how well this will work...  TECH STARTUP HELPS NON-TECHIES FIND JOBS AT TECH STARTUPS

Bad idea is bad... Maye might even turn out to be the reason why techies can't find jobs at tech companies...

Thought it would be fun to make a topic about, all of our experiences with all the people, who doesn't really understand all the tech. Note: Don't make this too harsh on them. You need to help them, not yell at them. I'll go first: So my mom has a daycare. And one day I am sitting on the floor with my laptop. And one of the kids, with real dirty hands come and put his hand on the screen. Guess he thought it was a touch screen. Still haven't gotten it off, and it was 3 months ago. My grandmother is scared of getting rid of the computer, because she thinks it will cut the power to her house.

I'm pretty sure this is a thing that's happened before, but I'll go with it.

A friend of mine wanted to buy a new logic board for their MacBook Air. It cost $700 and he was genuinely going to buy it...

The hardware itself was basically the same, and I assure you it wasn't an i7 in that thing.

For $700 you can build a pretty snazzy PC.. I'm sorry.

Crazy people.

"The FPS I got was this big!"

I agree, there's non-techie stupid, and then there's your everyday, run-of-the-mill stupidity

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I was staying at a hotel which offered free Wifi for all their customers, but oddly enough, I didn't have Internet access in my room while I did in the lobby. (Probably they configured the Access Point wrong or something) So I told the reception lady and she just gave me the login data for the admin account of the network. Holy shit, I could've done anything from shutting done the network completely to changing the password, accessing their NAS (I didn't check what kind of data was stored there, maybe sensible customer data), installing malware on the router etc.

And of course, they chose their password and user name very wisely, both were literally "admin".

Ah I remember, one year ago today I sold my old iMac. My mom was super confused as to why I was selling it (my dad had given me his old Core 2 Quad system that was halfway decent to replace my *10* year old iMac with a PowerPC 1 core CPU) as "why replace your Mac with a PC? I think you're making a big mistake here."

Yes, a system over 4 times as powerful and 4 years newer was worse simply because it wasn't a Mac.

Like I like Apple PCs and all but ffs who would take a single-core, DDR1 iMac over a Core 2 Quad?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Ah I remember, one year ago today I sold my old iMac. My mom was super confused as to why I was selling it (my dad had given me his old Core 2 Quad system that was halfway decent to replace my *10* year old iMac with a PowerPC 1 core CPU) as "why replace your Mac with a PC? I think you're making a big mistake here."

Yes, a system over 4 times as powerful and 4 years newer was worse simply because it wasn't a Mac.

Like I like Apple PCs and all but ffs who would take a single-core, DDR1 iMac over a Core 2 Quad?

why dont you jsut say THAT to them? xP

in a helpful happy tone ofcourse. 

''why would i want a 10 year old, computer, using ten year old technology, that preforms about 7 times as worse, than a 4 year old, everything else respictively better computer'' 

ofcourse my parrents would just tell me if its not HP its not gonna last longer than a week. but whatever. xD 

(yes my mom is a HP fangirl. ive come to this conclusion over her hate of anything and everything AND everyone but her HP laptop that she refuses to let me fix) 

edit/note

my posts getting likes like this make me feel so special. >_< xD idk. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Once my friend was building a pc I told him what he needed and said I would build it. When he got all the components I went to him he had all the wright components and sockets etc. I said I need to look at the power supply to see how much watts he has and then he brings me a potato and put a cable in it and says potato's have much energie  

Once my friend was building a pc I told him what he needed and said I would build it. When he got all the components I went to him he had all the wright components and sockets etc. I said I need to look at the power supply to see how much watts he has and then he brings me a potato and put a cable in it and says potato's have much energie  

im pretty sure he was just joking. xD 

when i was 3 and living on the streets i found in a trash bin a bunch of mr.potato head accesories, but not the body, so i used a real potato, then i ate the potato then i threw the accesories at some birds. 

completely unrelated, 

dell made a quadro i guess kindof? 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/dell-video-card-4694186 

-Jim Hensen

-sni-... ahm...-

Laughing so hard xD OMG I can't stop... :D 

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

My friend's got a laptop with i3-2330M using iGPU (HD Graphics 3000).

He kept on saying that he's got dedicated GPU (have checked his laptop, he doesn't have it), he even challenged me to run Assassin's Creed: Unity in his laptop. I'd said that he wouldn't be able to run the game, but he resisted.

If his laptop could run the game, I had to buy him foods, but if his laptop couldn't run the game, then it's the other way around. 

When he ran the game, it lagged, didn't respond, then blue screened...... (But I fixed it later, after he'd bought me foods)

He said "IMPOSSIBLE!"

I was like...

edvrgdb_700wa_0.gif

"So, where's my food?"

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

My friend has used the statement "high end $40 gaming graphics card".

More like "What's $40 GPU that can run anything in ultra?"

I'll be like "What??? No, no, it doesn't work like that. If there's a GPU like that I wouldn't choose my current GPU."

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

More like "What's $40 GPU that can run anything in ultra?"

I'll be like "What??? No, no, it doesn't work like that. If there's a GPU like that I wouldn't choose my current GPU."

I ran Half Life (v. 1.3) on a 20USD GPU maxed out at 1024x768...