Experiences with non-techies

If you get mad enough it is possible, one time I got mad and ripped a towel dispenser off it's mounting screws.

I threw my 6570 against a 1/4" thick piece of wood so hard the cooler flew off and the PCB of the card was stuck in the wood. I hate that card, even now.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

@XtremeTechGaming told me the following today:

One time he was building a PC. Top of the line, GTX 780 and an i7 and whatnot. It just so happened that the timing of his build coincided with his tech-illiterate relatives visiting. His uncle took the PC WITHOUT HIS PERMISSION and brought it back to Texas for his six-year-old to play, guess, FUCKING FLASH GAMES ON A 780. XTremeTech said that the computer slowed down due to the family installing random shit, and they got so mad that they RIPPED THE 780TI out (without unscrewing or releasing the bracket on the slot) and BROKE THE FUCKING THING IN HALF. He said to me that he would never let them touch his technology again. I told him to get the system back, but apparently the illiterates got so mad at it they destroyed the entire thing.

A moment of silence was held for the system.

Note to self do not let tech illiterate relatives near PC without techie supervision.

But that is horrible, did they replace it, was it his system that he was building? Was he able to recover the parts?

Note to self do not let tech illiterate relatives near PC without techie supervision.

But that is horrible, did they replace it, was it his system that he was building? Was he able to recover the parts?

He was building the system for his personal use and the relatives refused to cover the cost of the damages.

He was building the system for his personal use and the relatives refused to cover the cost of the damages.

Why they it was his PC (he could sew for them vandalizing his property) and they were the ones who,destroyed everything,and snapped the card.

Pretty sure I'd just about disown them.  Seriously, wouldn't care if they said the hardware was a waste, while not having a clue how powerful it actually was.  I mean for one that basically sounds like outright theft(family or not), and then to just break it...I'm surprised they could figure out how to plug things in the right places.

Lol if that story is true those relatives must be some console fanboys they must have uploaded the video of how they destroyed the 780ti with peasant rage

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

Why they it was his PC (he could sew for them vandalizing his property) and they were the ones who,destroyed everything,and snapped the card.

hate to be the grammar nazi but thats the wrong sue.  ;)

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

hate to be the grammar nazi but thats the wrong sue.  ;)

I don't mind thanks for informing me.

Tetris counts as a game and for the record so does Sims (never heard of gamehouse)

Google it.. just a bunch of old games for old people

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

@XtremeTechGaming told me the following today:

One time he was building a PC. Top of the line, GTX 780 and an i7 and whatnot. It just so happened that the timing of his build coincided with his tech-illiterate relatives visiting. His uncle took the PC WITHOUT HIS PERMISSION and brought it back to Texas for his six-year-old to play, guess, FUCKING FLASH GAMES ON A 780. XTremeTech said that the computer slowed down due to the family installing random shit, and they got so mad that they RIPPED THE 780TI out (without unscrewing or releasing the bracket on the slot) and BROKE THE FUCKING THING IN HALF. He said to me that he would never let them touch his technology again. I told him to get the system back, but apparently the illiterates got so mad at it they destroyed the entire thing.

A moment of silence was held for the system.

Sue sue sue sue sue sue sue sue. DON'T LET THE REDNECKS GET AWAY WITH THIS TORTURE. 

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

A couple months ago I had to teach my dad how to move a window.  We've had a PC in our house since windows 98(maybe 95) I think, I know he has one at work...I just don't know how he's gone this long without knowing something so basic.  And it's not like Windows 8 did anything funky to make that difficult, if anything it's plain color scheme should make it feel more like something from the past.  I guess I had this false thought of how much he knew about PC's before he got this one, I know our mother was actually rather good with them, and could figure out other tech fairly well.

Think he's one of those types that just doesn't even try to learn, I mean he doesn't know how to switch between inputs on our TV's.  Probably doesn't help that he gets maybe 5 hours of sleep a night tops.

I feel sorry for that poor 780. Surprised they managed to get into it and 'knew' what to destroy (they must have guessed it was a graphics card I woulda thought). But why would you do that? Thousands of dollars of equipment and then destroying it because it's struggling to run flash games after a ton of shit had been installed on it. Amazes me. If you want to play flash games, grab a Pentium4 and some Geforce 5500LE.....

Also, why does everyone assume 'hacking' whenever you do something without using the mouse to click through 15 dialogue boxes, or without staring at the keyboard to find the 'o' key etc.? In fact why assume viruses, and why assume 'hacking' by default = bad guy breaking into stuff he isn't meant to? Stallman would not be pleased.

Last year, my science teacher told the class that the computer he used to teach the class was broken as it was not booting into Windows and that the tech department would be fixing it soon. After a week they had yet to take his computer away for repairs so a friend and I got permission to take a look inside. (The teacher was pretty much cool with anything we did as we were his best students and are both very good with tech.) We opened it up and I took out the hard drive then reconnected it to its cables. (I forget whether it was IDE or SATA) After we did they the thing was fine. A similar problem which took 2 minutes to fix would have taken the tech people a week. My most recent topic shows the extent of their stupidity.

Well apple has used amd(ATI) gpus

But GPUs do not form the base of a computer :P The CPU defines the base architecture, which determines how and which programs can run. "x-based Mac"

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

"5700 replies to this topic"

hoorah

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Think he's one of those types that just doesn't even try to learn,

I find my parents are like that too. They will be on the computer for a few weeks then suddenly come in the room and  say something like

"I cant find the page I was looking at"  when they have simply opened a new tab

or "how do I log into my emails?" when they were literally reading their emails the day before

They seem too scared to do what they know/think is logical and get flustered if the answer isnt immediately obvious

As far as software goes they are afraid of clicking things or they might break it, yet my mum happily leaves the laptop ON and charging under a wool blanket for about 4 hours - I dont know how it didn't overheat

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I find my parents are like that too. They will be on the computer for a few weeks then suddenly come in the room and  say something like

"I cant find the page I was looking at"  when they have simply opened a new tab

or "how do I log into my emails?" when they were literally reading their emails the day before

They seem too scared to do what they know/think is logical and get flustered if the answer isnt immediately obvious

As far as software goes they are afraid of clicking things or they might break it, yet my mum happily leaves the laptop ON and charging under a wool blanket for about 4 hours - I dont know how it didn't overheat

My little sister is very similar to this... Although she most of the time uses a broken LCD screen as a hard surface, as I've taught her not to keep laptop on soft surfaces like blankets and such, but she still sometimes does that.

On topic: my recent experience with non tech-savvy people: my mother woke me up at 11.00 PM because our compact camera said that the SD card was locked. Well... You can pretty much guess why that is and how it was solved...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I was at my church's youth group and the leader asked people to raise their hand if they like Macs better than PCs. There were at least 50 people in that room and I was the only one who didn't raise my hand.

"You can try to play chess with a pigeon. But even if you win, it'll shit on the board and strut around."

I was at my church's youth group and the leader asked people to raise their hand if they like Macs better than PCs. There were at least 50 people in that room and I was the only one who didn't raise my hand.

Ugh. Once again, another hypocritical mindless PC fan labeling all Mac users as "stupid" and not realizing how blatantly obvious it is that a Mac is way better for music production, video editing and modeling.

If Macs are so "useless", then why did Bill Gates use one to design his home?

Also,

080428_ballmer_macbook_pro.jpg

And not to mention how Microsoft demonstrated Vista on a Mac...

http://macdailynews.com/2006/07/01/microsoft_demos_windows_vista_on_apple_macbook_pro/

I only ever chill on this page: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34813-experiences-with-non-techies/

If you ever spot me anywhere else, you've earned yourself an imaginary cookie  B)

Ugh. Once again, another hypocritical mindless PC fan labeling all Mac users as "stupid" and not realizing how blatantly obvious it is that a Mac is way better for music production, video editing and modeling.

Also,

http://macdailynews.com/2006/07/01/microsoft_demos_windows_vista_on_apple_macbook_pro/

I smell fanboyism.... 

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Also,

When did he ever say that he called Mac users Stupid? I think he is just saying that he prefers PC's over Macs....

My build: i5 3570k , Sabertooth Z77, Be quiet Dark Rock 2, Corsair vengeance 16 gb ram, Corsair RM 750, WD Black 1TB , ADATA 256 GB SSD, Asus 660ti DCUII, NZXT H440, Noctua NF-F12 & NF-A14.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

But GPUs do not form the base of a computer :P The CPU defines the base architecture, which determines how and which programs can run. "x-based Mac"

I thought we were talking about video cards, not PowerPC to intel ?

Also,

He didn't call people that like Macs stupid... He said that the leader asked people to raise their hands if they liked Macs, and he didn't... If anything, YOU'RE the fanboy. A Mac fanboy. And before you call me a PC fanboy or some shit like that, I'll just say this: I could care less if I have to use OS X, Windows, or Linux. They're all okay in my book. Now, go crawl back into your dark hole, where you can be a fanboy all you want, and leave us alone.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Also,

The fanboy is strong with this one. Also, I have not seen people call Macs useless in this thread and he was not labeling Mac users as stupid.

Also,

I didn't call Mac users stupid, thank you very much. I'm also quite curious as to how Macs are "way better for music production, video editing and modeling." There is no "better" operating system for those tasks. If anything, Macs and PCs are equally good for those tasks (setting aside the hardware aspect). All the best programs for such tasks are compatible with both Windows and Mac. The operating system doesn't make those tasks more efficient or better than another operating system, it relies on the program itself. Your argument is invalid.

"You can try to play chess with a pigeon. But even if you win, it'll shit on the board and strut around."