Winamp is going open source (Update: nope, they aren't)

UPDATE

Turns out they're not actually going open source.  I felt played.

You have to sign up to view the code for "FreeLLama", and there's no license attached at all (that should've been a red flag).

I'll give Qmmp a shot.

Quotes

Winamp is not open-sourcing its code. As this misconception has been circulating, it's important to set the record straight. The current owner, Llama Group, has plans for the app that are not open-source compatible.

Instead, as Winamp CEO Alexandre Saboundjian said, "Winamp will remain the owner of the software and will decide on the innovations made in the official version." The sort-of open-source version is going by the name FreeLLama.

Sources

ZDNET - Winamp is not going open source. Here's what it is doing - and why

image.png.31be7a8138dfebb8599eceb0d05b9308.png

-----------------------------------------

Summary

Winamp is planning on going open source on September 24, 2024.

Quotes

"This is a decision that will delight millions of users around the world. Our focus will be on new mobile players and other platforms. We will be releasing a new mobile player at the beginning of July. Still, we don't want to forget the tens of millions of users who use the software on Windows and will benefit from thousands of developers' experience and creativity. Winamp will remain the owner of the software and will decide on the innovations made in the official version," explains Alexandre Saboundjian, CEO of Winamp.

My thoughts

I'm really looking forward to seeing developers contribute and improve on it, though I have no plans on using Windows as a daily driver again.  I did use Winamp back in my last job when I was using Windows.

Sure would be nice to see this show up on Linux 😉

From how it was phrased by the CEO, I don't think the mobile app will be open source.  Hope I'm wrong because I'd love to see this on F-Droid. 

I sure hope there won't be NFTs in the mobile app.

Sources

https://about.winamp.com/press/article/winamp-open-source-code

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

I don't know a single person who still uses WinAMP. Where are they getting this 'millions of users around the world' number from?

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex 755, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3GHz, 4GB DDR2, Windows XP Professional, Office 2003 Pro

2 minutes ago, Satisfoxy said:

I don't know a single person who still uses WinAMP. Where are they getting this 'millions of users around the world' number from?

Hey now!

I'm at least one of those millions!

Oh and business music players.

No joke that stuff is often found on store music systems funnily enough. Seen it around multiple times.

Still no word on licesing eh? I also find the the date kind of weird. Are they refactoring their codebase before releasing? Why announce that you are going to be open sourcing an obsolute 30 year old software 3 months from now?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

8 hours ago, Levent said:

Still no word on licesing eh? I also find the the date kind of weird. Are they refactoring their codebase before releasing? Why announce that you are going to be open sourcing an obsolute 30 year old software 3 months from now?

It's really not that old. It is some 10 years tho 😛 Last regular update was around 2014 iirc, version 5.8. Version 5.9 came years later in 2022 and was basically just compatibility update for latest OS.

WinAMP (I like to write it stylized like this 😛 ) may be old, but it's super modular and versatile. I remember people releasing all kinds of crazy plugins for it. OpenAL, WASAPI, ASIO output, you name it, people made it all for it. You also had insane resamplers and surround plugins, DSP plugins. I've never seen any other player with such crazy rich community support of plugins. It was great.

And being open source soon, it's likely someone will port it to Linux which would be cool. Linux has a lot of media players, but they are all kinda crap. WinAMP with native PipeWire output would be cool.

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

WinAMP (I like to write it stylized like this 😛 ) may be old, but it's super modular and versatile. I remember people releasing all kinds of crazy plugins for it. OpenAL, WASAPI, ASIO output, you name it, people made it all for it. You also had insane resamplers and surround plugins, DSP plugins. I've never seen any other player with such crazy rich community support of plugins. It was great.

foobar2000

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

And being open source soon, it's likely someone will port it to Linux which would be cool. Linux has a lot of media players, but they are all kinda crap. WinAMP with native PipeWire output would be cool.

can agree with that 🙂

Foobar2000 better.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

15 hours ago, Satisfoxy said:

You don't know many people then. Plenty of oldschool people in my circle still on Winamp. Old habits die hard.

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

Foobar2000 better.

I really never particularly liked Foobar2000. It looks and feels more archaic than WinAMP and it's more straight to point minimalistic player. Ended up with MusicBee as it's auto updated via Microsoft Store (yeah, it's rare along with Paint.NET that actually work fine this way). I also like how it stores playlists in Documents so when I reinstall Windows I don't have to make everything again or keep backups. I use AIMP on my phone for car infotainment and while they have Windows version, I never really went with it on Windows. WinAMP was certainly cool and I'd use it again if someone updates its MP3 decoder to be of higher quality and add WASAPI Shared output. Exclusive WASAPI or ASIO is a bit annoying as it's, well, exclusive and shuts down all other sounds or effects. DirectSound works, but feels like it sounds worse.

4 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I really never particularly liked Foobar2000. It looks and feels more archaic than WinAMP and it's more straight to point minimalistic player. Ended up with MusicBee as it's auto updated via Microsoft Store (yeah, it's rare along with Paint.NET that actually work fine this way). I also like how it stores playlists in Documents so when I reinstall Windows I don't have to make everything again or keep backups. I use AIMP on my phone for car infotainment and while they have Windows version, I never really went with it on Windows. WinAMP was certainly cool and I'd use it again if someone updates its MP3 decoder to be of higher quality and add WASAPI Shared output. Exclusive WASAPI or ASIO is a bit annoying as it's, well, exclusive and shuts down all other sounds or effects. DirectSound works, but feels like it sounds worse.

It's the most customizable and lightweight program, you can configure it any way you want, add anything, remove, support for whatever. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Meh.. Nostalgia is the only thing that keeping this "alive".

12 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

It's the most customizable and lightweight program, you can configure it any way you want, add anything, remove, support for whatever. 

If only they build for Linux as well..

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

On 5/18/2024 at 6:59 PM, xAcid9 said:

If only they build for Linux as well..

QMMP was built to look and function like WinAMP.

I even remember there was something way back in 1999 Linux's that looked exactly like WinAMP and I thought it was just called "AMP", but I can't find any references to it, since "three letter words" are basically unsearchable.

On 5/18/2024 at 9:59 PM, xAcid9 said:

What a strange thing to say. Like human culture and society isn't built upon nostalgia and the past. If it works, it works, not like getting Winamp users to switch to whatever is relevant now will rock their world.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2024 at 11:36 AM, Kisai said:

QMMP was built to look and function like WinAMP.

I'll give that a spin.  Does it "dock" like Winamp?

image.png.81faf45f59909689b1a568a1ba013d13.png

And I just found out recently they aren't actually.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

What's the point of releasing code then? What the hell are these people smoking? It's a dead project with no future on its own. If it was open sourced, I'm sure a group of nostalgia enthusiasts would pick it up and maintain it to keep the compatibility and maybe improve things like adding native Shared WASAPI output.

Without open sourcing it, they might just as well not bother at all releasing anything.