Experiences with non-techies

26 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Suck should be in past tense now... 

I miss Sanyo more than LG.

8 hours ago, BondiBlue said:

A few years ago my printer decided to take an IP address from another device on my network. Which device did it choose to take the IP address from? My NAS, which had a static IP assigned to it.

Sounds more like someone selected the static ip address for the nas inside of the dhcp range 😛

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

11 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

I want to go into IT eventually but printers are making me hesitate

It's why I became a mechanic instead of IT.

20 hours ago, Bitter said:

My mom only gave up her Galaxy S3 because her bank website (not app) would no longer work with any browser she could install on it. She had it until 3 or 4 years ago and had replaced the battery once or twice.

I had an iphone 6 until a few months ago, which I replaced not because of the browser but due to random crashes, corrupted iOS (according to apple lol so take that with some salt) and a shitty battery. Tbh the battery was never an issue for me but the random crashes were what did it. I could have reset the phone, but I had Google Authenticator codes on it at that point (yes, i know authy is better but these were really old accounts on it that I couldnt remember how to change 2fa lol)

Now have a new iPhone (would've went to a pixel but was too lazy to manually transfer my data when iOS I just have to restore a backup lol)

is water wet?

i don't know what I'm doing either...

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Sounds more like someone selected the static ip address for the nas inside of the dhcp range 😛

Yes, that is true, but it shouldn't have been an issue given that the address was being assigned to the NAS by the router itself. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

17 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Someone recently asked me to repair a Chromebook that they tried to clean by using acetone. Acetone dissolves many types of plastic. That Chromebook was made almost entirely out of plastic, so it was basically a sorry plastic lump (the lid and base were fused together). It looked like a brick of wax that was left in the oven.

oooh, what if we pump gas into the LDPE/ethlyene bags from the grocery store too!

On 1/20/2013 at 5:42 PM, Crowcore said:

My little brother used to think that the more data you store on an HDD, the heavier the component gets. He also thought that if you pivot the monitor clockwise during a transfer of files or an installation, it would go faster because the gravity would help the loading bar fill faster...^^

That's amazing!

9 hours ago, Schnoz said:

Someone recently asked me to repair a Chromebook that they tried to clean by using acetone. Acetone dissolves many types of plastic. That Chromebook was made almost entirely out of plastic, so it was basically a sorry plastic lump (the lid and base were fused together). It looked like a brick of wax that was left in the oven.

When I was in college it was a sort of mean joke that anyone who had no idea what they were doing in chemistry lab was described as someone who would clean their safety glasses with the acetone we were given to wash our glassware.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

13 hours ago, Schnoz said:

I used acetone to help delid Intel processors. Soak it for a couple weeks and the silicone gets softer and easier to cut.

Today someone told me that if I, and I quote, "Clear your browser history it deletes it from Google's servers so [the school network admins] can't see what you're doing"

Same person who said if you use Chrome on BlueStacks to look up things you're not supposed to on the school network it works like a VPN. 

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

Today someone told me that if I, and I quote, "Clear your browser history it deletes it from Google's servers so [the school network admins] can't see what you're doing"

Same person who said if you use Chrome on BlueStacks to look up things you're not supposed to on the school network it works like a VPN. 

Google: See no evil 

NSA: Hear no evil

CIA: Speak no evil

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

I can't convince my dad to let me build him a custom computer. It's like he has no faith in my skills because I'm not a professional, but I have been doing custom watercooling since age 15. 

1 hour ago, Schnoz said:

It might help to convince him if pulled an old desktop from the e-waste and fully disassembled and reassembled it in front of him. 

He's been to my home and gamed on my pc with a full custom waterloop in an 011d where you can see that I built it, I've even shown him build logs of me rebuilding it for my 3090 step by step lol he even had to admit that my pc has almost as much radiator as his motorcycle. maybe he would simply rather pay a professional I'm not sure lol I've even told him he can get a pc built that's quality without a GPU for like 700 bucks and then I can hunt down the GPU for him and resell it at the same price

he is a console gamer though, but I'm tired of seeing him get a macbook pro, having one of his kids break it, then he gets a series of crappy laptops with core i3 processors in which he's far overpaying for and he doesn't even like laptops much but argues "sometimes I have to go to starbucks and use wifi or I can't concentrate" which utterly makes no sense to me lol I then told him: okay, get a used crappy laptop for cheap on marketplace and get a better hard drive if you need to, and I can build you the pc later. He then replies "I don't buy used computers" I then tell him "you go to thrift stores all the time lol" 

but the funny part about him being a console player is that he had to admit that sony got fascist af recently when I showed him articles like the most recent one where they sued D brand

still no winning the argument lol

the thing that pisses me off the most is when he told his friend about my computer who is a laptop gamer he said "yeah my son builds custom computers man it has all those neon lights and stuff in it"

I despise neon lights lol -_-"

pc.png

Yeah, I really wish I could get through to him haha

The worst part is he's not even that technologically stupid compared to a lot of people his age on average. I've seen him re flash phones to change to 3rd party carriers in the past, and he used to tinker with lineage OS, and he knows how a lot of components work on a base level because of his ham radio hobby lol I mean he's no technician but he has the capability to learn and solve computer related problems with ease for someone that old school, but he just won't listen to my advice. I'm lucky he got sketchy at a pushy salesman last time at walmart and he locked up and drove off lol I then told him it was literally almost the same laptop he had and I could just replace his keeb and put an SSD in it for way less

alas, maybe I'll just have to build him one and force him to accept it one day lol

7 hours ago, CptnReflex said:

He's been to my home and gamed on my pc with a full custom waterloop in an 011d where you can see that I built it, I've even shown him build logs of me rebuilding it for my 3090 step by step lol he even had to admit that my pc has almost as much radiator as his motorcycle. maybe he would simply rather pay a professional I'm not sure lol I've even told him he can get a pc built that's quality without a GPU for like 700 bucks and then I can hunt down the GPU for him and resell it at the same price

he is a console gamer though, but I'm tired of seeing him get a macbook pro, having one of his kids break it, then he gets a series of crappy laptops with core i3 processors in which he's far overpaying for and he doesn't even like laptops much but argues "sometimes I have to go to starbucks and use wifi or I can't concentrate" which utterly makes no sense to me lol I then told him: okay, get a used crappy laptop for cheap on marketplace and get a better hard drive if you need to, and I can build you the pc later. He then replies "I don't buy used computers" I then tell him "you go to thrift stores all the time lol" 

but the funny part about him being a console player is that he had to admit that sony got fascist af recently when I showed him articles like the most recent one where they sued D brand

still no winning the argument lol

the thing that pisses me off the most is when he told his friend about my computer who is a laptop gamer he said "yeah my son builds custom computers man it has all those neon lights and stuff in it"

I despise neon lights lol -_-"

pc.png

Very nice rig.

Next time that console peasant has spent a shit load of money on computer hardware.

Show him your bill of your PC, then remind him that you payed that ONCE and that was years ago. 😉
If that dont work tell him you give up and he can sink in the shit he's buying. If they that stubborn only thing is to look from the shore how the ship sinks...
Best of luck. (ps i hope my directness doesnt come over as rude 🙂)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

About 8:30 in the morning a few years ago, at an MSP:

User: My computer just says "no signal" and nothing else, what does that mean, is something wrong?

Me: That's usually the monitor telling you that your computer is off. You know, the box on or beneath your desk.

User: I don't have a box... ?

Me: (WTF???) Ok, if you follow the cable on your keyboard, where does it go?

User: .... Oh, here it is, it was hidden under some papers.

Me: (Are you seriously... ) Cool, just turn it on then!

User: How do I do that?

Me: Uh, with the power button?

User: Where is it?

Ended up with me traveling out to her because she couldn't describe the computer in any detail nor send me a picture of it. Throw in some extra confusion on my end when she had a different computer than I first thought, my coworkers forgot to update the documentation for this customer when they installed a bunch of chromeboxes a few months earlier.

10 hours ago, Bee Bus Hardware said:

When a non techie uses their mouse to hover over the play button to unpause rather than just pressing space bar. Always the teachers.

Hey welcome to the LTT forum! Not sure if anyone told you yet!

15 hours ago, CptnReflex said:

Yeah, I really wish I could get through to him haha

The worst part is he's not even that technologically stupid compared to a lot of people his age on average. I've seen him re flash phones to change to 3rd party carriers in the past, and he used to tinker with lineage OS, and he knows how a lot of components work on a base level because of his ham radio hobby lol I mean he's no technician but he has the capability to learn and solve computer related problems with ease for someone that old school, but he just won't listen to my advice. I'm lucky he got sketchy at a pushy salesman last time at walmart and he locked up and drove off lol I then told him it was literally almost the same laptop he had and I could just replace his keeb and put an SSD in it for way less

alas, maybe I'll just have to build him one and force him to accept it one day lol

Welcome to you too!

is water wet?

i don't know what I'm doing either...

On 10/17/2021 at 10:08 AM, CommanderAlex said:

Only thing about Tesla cars I don't like is the repairability is pretty much zero. You'll have to bring it to a Tesla dealership to fix and good luck finding replacement parts (perhaps a junk yard). 

reminds me of a certain fruit-computer company

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

On 10/19/2021 at 2:27 AM, CT854 said:

With the amount of VHS we watched when I was a kid the tape rewinder was an essential. But apparently having one made you rich.

Whoops.

My dad grew up rewinding music cassettes with pencils, I'm sure plenty of people here can relate

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

23 minutes ago, thekingofmonks said:

My dad grew up rewinding music cassettes with pencils, I'm sure plenty of people here can relate

As a kid I ruined more than one cassette by playing with them with a pencil (or my fingers if I was determined enough)...

1 hour ago, thekingofmonks said:

reminds me of a certain fruit-computer company

They pretty much are the luxury electric car makers, just like the fruit-computer company. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"