Experiences with non-techies

8 hours ago, NunoLava1998 said:

Stop reposting for karma :/ 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 hours ago, themctipers said:

Stop reposting for karma :/ 

what's kar-

seriously tho, i actually made that crap in 2014 and i feel like everyone has to see that :P

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

what's kar-

seriously tho, i actually made that crap in 2014 and i feel like everyone has to see that :P

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) wait nooooo

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

So this lady calls my shop yesterday trying to set up her All-in-One. She figure out where to plug in the mouse and keyboard. We tell her there should be a bunch of USB points on the back. She cannot find them... And she is upset because when she does turn it in, Windows doesn't come up. She just gets a black screen.

So we ask what model her AIO is so we can pull up the user manual for her, and she says (and I'm not making this up), "Um... It's an A S U S 1 1 4 H Z."

She spells out each thing individually. We look at the model we just wrote on paper... "Ma'am, that's a monitor."

She replies, "I know it's got a monitor."

I wonder if Jitterbug ever thought about making PCs for the elderly.

On 3/13/2017 at 0:10 AM, rainbrodash666 said:

today I had another amazing interaction with someone from Comcast, we were having trouble getting only snow and the guide menu with no information on the tv, we call in after checking the connections and power cycling everything and after a while of troubleshooting questions they ask how we have the cable box hooked to the tv, I reply HDMI, and the lady on the phone says, "oh well there is the problem you don't have HD tv service so you can't connect the cable box with HDMI" she wanted me to hook the cable box to my tv with coaxial cable because I don't get HD tv service... the cable came back on 15 minutes later because we just hung up and hoped to get a more qualified technician, did and got our cable fixed and a month of hbo.

Okay completely off topic but you profile pic is amazing. xD

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

On 1/23/2013 at 4:25 PM, brav3st said:

I also made the mistake to start doing computer stuff for my friends and family. Everyone i've ever helped now thinks that i'm their personal support guy for everything. My top 5:

5)

Friend bought a SSD and installed it (he's not that of a noob). Still asked me why it wasn't reading with 450MB/s as promised, so i asked him if he used the fast sata-port on his board (labeled blue). He told me that he used the blue one, so i drove over to him, just to see that be had his HDD in the fast port and his SSD in the slow one.

4)

My mother told me that she wants a new computer, so i asked her if i should build her one. She said no and went to "Saturn" (like best-buy but in germany) and got a complete system there. She payed about 800$ for a system with an i3, a gtx 540, 4 gigs of ram and 500 gigs of harddrive space....

3)

A friend of mine made a steam account with a fake e-mail-adress. After buying 3 games with his pay-pal-account for ~120$ he restarted his computer, just to realize that he couldn't play the games because his mail was fake and he couldn't get into his steam-account anymore.

2)

After i built a computer for a friend of mine, he started complaining about the system bluescreening all the time. While checking his rig, i realized that he had removed the cpu-cooler (out of curiousity) and cleaned off the thermal paste because he thought it was dirty. So obviously his cpu got too hot and made his pc crash every time he booted up. Because he tried to boot up his system uncountable times, his 300$ i7 was broken too. Good job on that.

1)

My ex-girlfriend got a macbook pro. She turned it on for the first time and played around a while, after about 10 minutes she asked me where the Internet Explorer is because she wanted to surf the interwebz. I lol'd.

I can't believe he took of the CPU cooler I mean even if you weren't a techie I wouldn't take things off a PC

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

rememberd something pretty funny from when i knew way less about tech but i was one of those that thought i knew atleast most of it(spoilers: i did not).

so me and my friend got invited to dig through and take whatever we wanted from what the IT department at my dads work were throwing out, obviously we were really happy and it is to date one of the most fun things i have done but i knew jack shit of hardware compared to what i know now. anyway on with the story, my friend tears of the panel of another one of the old dells and pulls out a GPU, it says "video card" on it(yes, on the card.) and then this goes down:

friend: dude whats a video card?

me: the thing that makes the pictures move

friend: but how is it different from a graphics card then?

me(confident like a boss): video cards are for makeing videos and graphics cards are for games, videocards have surperior quality in video while graphics cards can play games.

friend: huh neat, is this thing any good then?

me: no, we play games right, dont bother with it(im pretty sure it was a quadro of some sort -_- )

he then went on to belive that there was such a thing as a dedicated video card and that videos didnt look as good on graphics cards becuase i told him so... also we picked up a computer with an LGA 771 Xeon in it and he threw it out right as i was about to come pick it up from his place. we barely talked after that and he has since moved away.

there are a lot of other things regarding that massive pile we dug through but i just rememberd this conversation again so i thought i should post it xD 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, Zic05 said:

I can't believe he took of the CPU cooler I mean even if you weren't a techie I wouldn't take things off a PC

Duct tape...

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

In December of 2016 when i bought my first gaming PC, my nan came over for some lunch, she walked into my room to checked out my computer and when she came in she starting taking a look, she lifted up my keyboard and said "well its a bit small". I had to explain to her that the big machine next to the keyboard was the computer. Really funny. Also once my brother bought a game called SpinTyres for PC and when i told him i don't have a disk drive he put the disc into his Xbox One.

temp.png.1fde6d221e79af668b8ffa34bd50b281.png

just saw that banner add... good job ASUS

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Someone yesterday said that a USB has batteries. He said you have to take the batteries out for it to work. I did a facepalm. First off, what is a USB? USB is the bus (Universal Serial Bus) that devices like storage drives, etc use to communicate with the computer. Then someone asked me if a desktop computer used batteries to run. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

8 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

ad

ffs

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

8 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I couldn't find it

8 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Then someone asked me if a desktop computer used batteries to run. 

Technically without a battery CMOS settings will not persist and the system clock gets buggered :) So not totally off the mark there.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 minute ago, Fetzie said:

Technically without a battery CMOS settings will not persist and the system clock gets buggered :) So not totally off the mark there.

system clock and bios settings here :/ 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

13 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I couldn't find it

might have been Sweden exclusive or something.

Builds:

Spoiler

18 hours ago, Fetzie said:

But it will work. This is coming from someone who doesn't care if the settings are wrong, the time is off, or anything like that.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

back from page 485 and page 200, but kek

aLJY10Q.png

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

50 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

aLJY10Q.png

When you're basic enough to have a Mac and can't afford a actual mouse

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, NunoLava1998 said:

aLJY10Q.png

Omg, i don't know how anybody can defend the Apple Smart Mouse, that thing is terrible! 

I much prefer something from Logitech, like the Mx Master, Performance MX or the M570...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

Somebody is playing a prank on some of the older users here at the hall, they use the mundane ctrl+alt+ arrow keys to make the screen rotate, every half and hour or so somebody calls me to say that their screen has flipped...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

59 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

Omg, i don't know how anybody can defend the Apple Smart Mouse, that thing is terrible! 

I much prefer something from Logitech, like the Mx Master, Performance MX or the M570...

i much prefer NO mouse tbh

Builds:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i much prefer NO mouse tbh

Mind control, trackball, trackpad?

4 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

Mind control, trackball, trackpad?

keyboard

Builds:

Spoiler