PC Gamer talks to Rockstar North about GTA V PC with some Q&A

The improvements were not that substantial so as to justify 2 years of porting. And who cares about the next gen release? It does not change the fact that they claim it took them 2 years to port the game, which is pure bs.

There are more improvements than on the PS4 version..

When you have lived long enough to see hundreds of games being ruined by early releases to satisfy impatient entitled youths, then maybe you will see it my way.

Rockstar can do what the fuck they want. They have offered us GTA versions that has been rather bugless compared to a long of other high profile games, and without straying from their original course.

And they actually improve the games...its just not porting the game....

And yet, all they get is screaming from spoiled kids who are used to getting what they want, when they want.

Im not defending Rockstar on every single thing, but the about of people losing their shit over a game being released six months later than next-gen versions is unbelievable.

Oh, and maybe we should not pretend to understand how difficult it is to port a game and how long it takes, mkay!?

Its amazing how many programming experts are here.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

When you have lived long enough to see hundreds of games being ruined by early releases to satisfy impatient entitled youths, then maybe you will see it my way.

Rockstar can do what the fuck they want. They have offered us GTA versions that has been rather bugless compared to a long of other high profile games, and without straying from their original course.

And yet, all they get is screaming from spoiled kids who are used to getting what they want, when they want.

Im not defending Rockstar on every single thing, but the about of people losing their shit over a game being released six months later than next-gen versions is unbelievable.

Oh, and maybe we should not pretend to understand how difficult it is to port a game and how long it takes, mkay!?

I personally am 100% patient for any kind of release, it's not like I don't have other things irl or games or something else to occupy my time. But it's more matter of principle. I can understand that they're a company, and that they want to make money, prioritize things how they want and do what they want.

GTA 4 looks better with mods than GTA5 on PC atm, at least in some terms. And GTA4 was terrible port.

Anyway, am curious to see how's entire GTA5 on PC, props if they actually deliver it with quality.

Imagine if they released PC version that would look like this on day when it was launched on older consoles, and release console ver after, like now today. It would be laughable to release same game that looks worse and yet release it so much later. That's one of the reasons why they do it. They'd get pressured for such difference between platforms and also time of release on each.

And long before they were asked will there be a PC version and they said that they're not sure, then that PC petition started later on...

Some evasive answers there from them.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I personally am 100% patient for any kind of release, it's not like I don't have other things irl or games or something else to occupy my time. But it's more matter of principle. I can understand that they're a company, and that they want to make money, prioritize things how they want and do what they want.

GTA 4 looks better with mods than GTA5 on PC atm, at least in some terms. And GTA4 was terrible port.

Anyway, am curious to see how's entire GTA5 on PC, props if they actually deliver it with quality.

Imagine if they released PC version that would look like this on day when it was launched on older consoles, and release console ver after, like now today. It would be laughable to release same game that looks worse and yet release it so much later. That's one of the reasons why they do it. They'd get pressured for such difference between platforms and also time of release on each.

And long before they were asked will there be a PC version and they said that they're not sure, then that PC petition started later on...

Some evasive answers there from them.

I understand the principle, and there are parts of it which I agree with. I just think the tone is sad and just typical of the gaming community.

There is this attitude or having the right to trash every company no matter what they do.

You complains about what Rockstar has said is valid...but also remember that there are a lot of difficult people doing the talking in a lot of different mediums, and who knows whats the truth....I highly doubt that they just decided on the pc version later. I just think they wouldn't want to be in a position where they promised something and then reneged.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Ofc I don't know how difficult it is to port a game, but what I do know is that it does not take a company of such scale 2 years to do it. Also why are you basing it off the next gen version? The game was released in September 2013 and PC existed back then afaik... So that makes it almost a 2 year "delay". It is just plain stupid to think it really did take that long, so they either finished the PC version earlier and held back (makes no sense tbh) or they did not plan to release it to PC since the beginning. I am not saying that any of this (delay, not planning to release on PC etc) is bad, but them saying that they did actually plan to release the game to PC to begin with and it took them that much time is just underestimating my intelligence.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

The release date is now the 13th not the 14th =D

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

I like the way you formatted this news post.

Good work.

Also a good read. Still debating whether or not I will pick it up.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Why does nobody ask them if there will be a user radio station like Independence FM???

In another interview they confirmed that you can use your own music and there is also 1 extra radio station that is only on the PC version.

RTX2070OC 

The release date is now the 13th not the 14th =D

13th for America and 14th for UK/EU because of Time Zones.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

So 4k for a 7870 or GTX 760? Even at 30 fps, that seems impossible.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

13th for America and 14th for UK/EU because of Time Zones.

I just realized it today , it made me giddy with joy lol I feel like I'll have no sleep for weeks on end now

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

Ofc I don't know how difficult it is to port a game, but what I do know is that it does not take a company of such scale 2 years to do it. Also why are you basing it off the next gen version? The game was released in September 2013 and PC existed back then afaik... So that makes it almost a 2 year "delay". It is just plain stupid to think it really did take that long, so they either finished the PC version earlier and held back (makes no sense tbh) or they did not plan to release it to PC since the beginning. I am not saying that any of this (delay, not planning to release on PC etc) is bad, but them saying that they did actually plan to release the game to PC to begin with and it took them that much time is just underestimating my intelligence.

We were always going to bring GTA 5 to PC. We planned from day 1 for a PC build and we made technical decisions based off the fact that we would be doing a PC version of the game. While we started development of the PC version quite early, we decided to focus the bulk of our attention on the PS3 and XB360 versions first in order to push that as far as we possibly could before turning our attention to the PS4 and Xbox One versions, and then using the shared architecture underpinning the new consoles to help ourselves ramp up into the PC version and push the game as far as we possibly could knowing we would have the opportunity to make the game look and feel better than it ever has.

We were always going to bring GTA 5 to PC. We planned from day 1 for a PC build and we made technical decisions based off the fact that we would be doing a PC version of the game. While we started development of the PC version quite early, we decided to focus the bulk of our attention on the PS3 and XB360 versions first in order to push that as far as we possibly could before turning our attention to the PS4 and Xbox One versions, and then using the shared architecture underpinning the new consoles to help ourselves ramp up into the PC version and push the game as far as we possibly could knowing we would have the opportunity to make the game look and feel better than it ever has.

I really cannot accept that it took them so much time, no matter what they focused on. If they define "focusing on consoles" as we left PC development entirely and only developed the console version, then I am wrong and they have a problem with definitions. But, if there was even a relatively small team working on the PC version, then I think they would be able to at least release it along with the next gen version. But that's my 2 cents...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

In another interview they confirmed that you can use your own music and there is also 1 extra radio station that is only on the PC version.

Thank you, I missed that.

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

I really cannot accept that it took them so much time, no matter what they focused on. If they define "focusing on consoles" as we left PC development entirely and only developed the console version, then I am wrong and they have a problem with definitions. But, if there was even a relatively small team working on the PC version, then I think they would be able to at least release it along with the next gen version. But that's my 2 cents...

Of course. People get sidetracked with searching for ways to defend R*, it becomes easy to forget facts:

-PC version is the 5th and last version to be released, a year and a half after the original launch.

-PC version was delayed twice (if you don't count the xbox 360, xbox 1, PS3 &PS4 releases) both times they waited until just 2 weeks until the announced dates to delay the launch again.

Maybe we should be grateful that no Nintendo port was made.

Either way, they are trying to break 50 million sales now, of course they are going to praise the PC now, after the majority of sales on the first 4 platforms have been made. As long as you don't fall for the story, it's understandable why they are trying to tell it.

For the record, I will buy it after port reports and delays to fix games are a good thing, as long as they are handled properly (for example Witcher 3 delays)

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

I want to see port reports and benchmarks.

Indeed, seeing is believing ;)

One can only hope!

Let's agree to disagree

Rockstar can do what the fuck they want. 

/thread

But no really, they can.  On these very forums I rightfully predicted Rockstar's business moves in advance, because they are perfectly logical.  They worked on the PS3/X360 first, that is their primary market.  Then they gave it some time before releasing for PS4/X1, another good move.  Launching GTAV a month after the next-gen consoles released would have most likely stunted sales, versus waiting until well after the holidays etc. as the ownership numbers increased dramatically.  There are probably development factors to take into account too, teams working on patches, GTA Online, Online Heists, etc.  Next-gen market is the secondary market.  Then, at last, the tertiary market, however much that pains your eyes to read it, PC.  It originally was slated to come out only a few months after the next-gen launch, this no doubt due to the fact that launching an optimized game for the fragmentary hardware market that is PC is much more difficult than for one type of hardware that are consoles.

Then, after the horrific two years we've had in the AAA market of unacceptable games being shoved out long before they're ready, Rockstar alongside many other developers in 2015 (Rocksteady with Arkham Knight, CDPR with Witcher 3, Obsidian with Pillars, Nintendo with Zelda) made the shrewd choice of delaying the PC release a few months more.  Not only are they not alone in this kind of decision, they are probably making the right one, especially with the reputation their previous GTA PC title has.

Of course, the game might still be terribly optimized, I guess we'll find out in less than 100 hours!  I expect thousands of PC gamers are busy spending their weekend sharpening pitchforks, rolling new torches, and polishing for caps lock keys for optimum cruise control coolness come Tuesday.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

/thread

But no really, they can.  On these very forums I rightfully predicted Rockstar's business moves in advance, because they are perfectly logical.  They worked on the PS3/X360 first, that is their primary market.  Then they gave it some time before releasing for PS4/X1, another good move.  Launching GTAV a month after the next-gen consoles released would have most likely stunted sales, versus waiting until well after the holidays etc. as the ownership numbers increased dramatically.  There are probably development factors to take into account too, teams working on patches, GTA Online, Online Heists, etc.  Next-gen market is the secondary market.  Then, at last, the tertiary market, however much that pains your eyes to read it, PC.  It originally was slated to come out only a few months after the next-gen launch, this no doubt due to the fact that launching an optimized game for the fragmentary hardware market that is PC is much more difficult than for one type of hardware that are consoles.

Then, after the horrific two years we've had in the AAA market of unacceptable games being shoved out long before they're ready, Rockstar alongside many other developers in 2015 (Rocksteady with Arkham Knight, CDPR with Witcher 3, Obsidian with Pillars, Nintendo with Zelda) made the shrewd choice of delaying the PC release a few months more.  Not only are they not alone in this kind of decision, they are probably making the right one, especially with the reputation their previous GTA PC title has.

Of course, the game might still be terribly optimized, I guess we'll find out in less than 100 hours!  I expect thousands of PC gamers are busy spending their weekend sharpening pitchforks, rolling new torches, and polishing for caps lock keys for optimum cruise control coolness come Tuesday.

Very well put.  I'm 100% sure that this is the way it went down and why I don't believe R* explanations offered nowadays, it was a shrewd business strategy.

They sold 34 mil copies on the most widespread platforms, 10 mil on the next gen and now that the console market is exhausted, they turn to the PC version to break the 50 mil mark.

Moaning about a "2 year wait"............... HL3

Was HL3 announced? Was it released on other platforms? GTA V case couldn't be more different than wishing for HL3

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

Will the retail copy have a steam key?
I like to be able to touch it. and also not have to worry about putting in 7 discs after all. But if it has a steam key will someone tell me!!

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Will the retail copy have a steam key?

I like to be able to touch it. and also not have to worry about putting in 7 discs after all. But if it has a steam key will someone tell me!!

The only way to get it the Steam version is to buy it on Steam. All other versions, digital and retail, go through Rockstar Social Club, even the Steam version requires a Social Club account.

The only way to get it the Steam version is to buy it on Steam. All other versions, digital and retail, go through Rockstar Social Club, even the Steam version requires a Social Club account.

ok <3 thanks

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

I don't get what's all the fluff about the fact that it "supports 4k!", as if that wasn't true for almost any game that was coded correctly... maybe they refer to UI scaling?

Either way it looks good enough, I may start to consider forgiving them for taking 20 months to re-release a finished game...

As someone who owns both a 4k monitor and a 4kTV, and play games on both, I can assure you not all games are 4k compatible, sometimes to comical effect. Eg, I recently downloaded Rainbow Six Vegas after realising how much I messed that game. At 4k, the level intro cutscenes play in the centre quarter of the screen, while outside the cutscenes you can see all the characters stood still waiting like actors waiting to be told 'action'. As mentioned UI scaling can make a high difference too, especially at 42" on a TV. Again textures can look awful. And most importantly is optimisation running at such high resolution is hard on a system. Being programmed to spread the load properly is very important.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130