PC Gamer talks to Rockstar North about GTA V PC with some Q&A

Original Article: http://www.pcgamer.com/rockstar-talk-4k-pc-performance-and-more

fhjIKEY7zG2E.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Recently, I posted an article about Gamespot asking some questions to Rockstar concerning GTA V PC, You can find that article HERE,

and now PCGamer has done the same, so I thought I would share this conversation.

First off, both news sites have been talking to the same people over at Rockstar North,

Director of technology Phil Hooker, Director of engineering Klaas Schilstra and Technical director Adam Fowler.

These have been paraphrased by me to also include my opinions on the answer that Rockstar has given.

Question 1: Information on the team working on GTA V PC. How long have they worked for Rockstar and what have they done in the past?

Answer:

Most of the original GTA Team directed by those who specialize in PC dev. They have worked on games such as,
  • Max Payne 3 - (From what I have heard, this was a great port.)
  • LA Noire - (A great game and a fair port, minus the 30fps cap)
  • GTA IV - (Oh god, lets hope they have improved since that port)

Since the "next gen" console are similar to PC hardware, the same team has also worked on the PC version of the game.

Question 2:  When did you decide GTA V was coming to PC and when did you start to work on it.

Answer:

We were always going to bring GTA V to PC from day 1. While we were developing the PC version, we focused on the Xbox 360/PS3. This then let us focus on the "next gen" consoles to help ramp up development on the PC version

(My thought - seems fair to me, using the next gen consoles to help with developing for the PC since they are sharing architecture.)

Question 3: How did the process of bringing GTA 5 to PC compare to previous Rockstar games on PC, like GTA 4, LA Noire and Max Payne 3? Was there anything different this time around?

Answer:

President of Rockstar Toronto: The process of bringing GTA 5 to PC was most similar to our last PC title, Max Payne 3....We knew that we would eventually create a PC version so early development was done in parallel with the console versions. In fact, some of the early preparations we made for PC, like 64 bit & DX11 support, paid off very handsomely when the PS4 and Xbox One architectures were announced...The artists also prepared for PC by authoring their source art at PC-ready resolutions, even though we had to use massively reduced versions for the PS3 and XB360.

(My thoughts - If I'm understanding this right, If they weren't already developing for PC, they would have had to create the new assets for the "next gen" consoles, so PC helped its console counter-part?

Question 4: The minimum and recommended specs for recent AAA PC-titles for many modern games are much more demanding, yet the specs for GTA 5 are quite low in comparison. Which resolution and frame rate are the recommended specs based on? Are the recommended specs for playing it in 1080p / 60 fps? Which specs do you need to play it in 4k resolution and 30/60 fps, and what is the optimal way to run the game? (That is a lot of questions in one, fair play PC gamer)

Answer:

One of the lessons we have learned over the years through Grand Theft Auto IV and Max Payne 3 on PC was that people want the freedom to configure their system to suit their preferences.

(mentioning GTA IV, I hope that's not the only lessons you have learned...)

To Run at 4K@30fps You will need an HD 7870 or GTX 760 with 2GB VRAM

(Seems fairly low, but who wants to run at 30fps/hz)

To run the game at 4K@60fps you will need a high end SLI or Crossfire set-up

(I'm not too sure on this one. With optimization through drivers, you might be able to get away with it on a single card, but not limited at 60fps, but above 30fps, my thoughts of course)

Question 5: Does 60fps make a difference in-game?

Answer:

paraphrased: of course.

(moving on.)

Question 6: Will the game be locked at 60fps?

Answer:

paraphrased: The target is 60fps, but if your monitor and computer supports it, you may run at higher frame rates.

(My thoughts - Seems adequate. But some thing I'm not sure on, in LA Noire, that game was locked to 30fps due to the motion cap, will that be the same case here in cut scenes?)

Question 7: PC supports 4K, how much of a difference does that make?

Answer:

When you see it for the first time, 4k is an eye opener.

Question 7: Can you talk about the range of PC-specific visual options in GTA 5? In the PS3 and Xbox 360 editions I was blown away by the environmental detail and water effects – how far can players push those options on high-end PCs?

Answer:

I'm not going to put this in, as the graphical options have already been leaked, you can view them in this post provided by @Victorious Secret HERE 

Question 8: Can you talk about the development of the Rockstar Video Editor for GTA 5? What are the differences between the version for GTA 4 and this one?

Answer:

Again, I'm not going to post this here as there is an article by @TwistedDictator outlining the new Video Editor such as Directors mode. You can view that article HERE 

That was a lot of typing.

My overall thoughts.

This interview, if it can be called that, was a lot more in-depth compared to the one done by Gamespot, as it covered many more questions and questions we wanted to hear, such as it the game limited to x amounts of FPS?. As I said, I have paraphrased most, if not all of the questions and answers, so there is some information missing. I highly recommend you read this article on PCGamers website.

Your Thoughts, please leave them down below!

Edited by Alexp10v2

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

i has a feeling this is a retoast, brb

nope, lol i just read it a few mins ago on twitter

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

"We were always going to bring GTA V to PC from day 1."

Go and get fucked.

lol calm down it was pretty obvious in the first place tbh

lol calm down it was pretty obvious in the first place tbh

And it took them 2 years to PORT a game to PC? Oh please, this is ridiculous.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

right ok no one was talking about how long it took dont take it out on me lol

right ok no one was talking about how long it took dont take it out on me lol

Yeah I am not angry, but let's be honest, they did not plan to release on PC since the beginning, they just saw the backlash and the missed opportunity for even more profit and finally decided to port it... Even small development companies, let alone multibillion dollar ones, don't need that much time to port a game to another platform...

Yeah I am not angry, but let's be honest, they did not plan to release on PC since the beginning, they just saw the backlash and the missed opportunity for even more profit and finally decided to port it... Even small development companies, let alone multibillion dollar ones, don't need that much time to port a game to another platform...

no ofc they did they have released all of the big gta games on pc plus its not like its the exact same game it has a lot more features than the xbox one version 

no ofc they did they have released all of the big gta games on pc plus its not like its the exact same game it has a lot more features than the xbox one version 

So you tell me that you think a multibillion dollar company took 2 years to port a game to PC and add some features? Really?

So you tell me that you think a multibillion dollar company took 2 years to port a game to PC and add some features? Really?

i didn't mention a single think about how long it took did i.......

i didn't mention a single think about how long it took did i.......

When you said "ofc they did" what were you referring to? Because this must be a misunderstanding :P

I believe them they intended to release it for PC all along. They probably figured they can triple their profit by first releasing GTA V for previous gen consoles, then releasing an enhanced version for current gen, and then ultimately releasing the most advanced version - the PC version.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

When you said "ofc they did" what were you referring to? Because this must be a misunderstanding :P

what i mean is that i also don't agree with how long it took but i do believe that they were working on it since day one 

It took them nearly half a year longer to port to PC than it did to port to x86-based consoles. Just saying.

Of course they meant to bring it to PC from day one, they just had no intention of releasing it in a timely manner so they can get people to buy the game multiple times.

The longer the wait the more people they can get to double dip.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I don't get what's all the fluff about the fact that it "supports 4k!", as if that wasn't true for almost any game that was coded correctly... maybe they refer to UI scaling?

Either way it looks good enough, I may start to consider forgiving them for taking 20 months to re-release a finished game...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Of course they meant to bring it to PC from day one, they just had no intention of releasing it in a timely manner so they can get people to buy the game multiple times.

The longer the wait the more people they can get to double dip.

You sir, you get it.

40089637.jpgg137546945018816480.jpgbw8xk0.jpg

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I don't get what's all the fluff about the fact that it "supports 4k!", as if that wasn't true for almost any game that was coded correctly... maybe they refer to UI scaling?

Either way it looks good enough, I may start to consider forgiving them for taking 20 months to re-release a finished game...

Possibly they might be talking about very high resolution textures? Shadow of Mordor-style 4K support, with a hefty vram-requirement if you're going to use? 

Possibly they might be talking about very high resolution textures? Shadow of Mordor-style 4K support, with a hefty vram-requirement if you're going to use? 

It's possible, but they should have the highest quality texture possible even at 1080p...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Why does nobody ask them if there will be a user radio station like Independence FM???

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

"We were always going to bring GTA V to PC from day 1."

Go and get fucked.

So the entitled teenagers have arrived in the thread I see......

Its six months since the PS4 release...And there are substantial improvements over those versions....What the hell is your problem?=

It took them nearly half a year longer to port to PC than it did to port to x86-based consoles. Just saying.

Which seems rather understandable from my point of view.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Its six months since the PS4 release...And there are substantial improvements over those versions....What the hell is your problem?=

The improvements were not that substantial so as to justify 2 years of porting. And who cares about the next gen release? It does not change the fact that they claim it took them 2 years to port the game, which is pure bs.

what i mean is that i also don't agree with how long it took but i do believe that they were working on it since day one 

So it means you agree they have been working on it for 2 years. Which I honestly think is absolute bullshit.