Synology 1522+ Backup Strategy

Hi All,

Looking to get some backup strategies recommendations as well as some general tips regarding synology environment since I'm new to the field.

I want to use the NAS as a backup server to version control all of my software (webapp) that I develop, as well as keeping backups of clients websites.

Which means I will be having LOTS of small files per version/client and the copying/syncing process takes a lot of time on my current backup setup.

What kind of drives should I use HDDs or SSDs? What about nvme caching?

Which app should I use for backups?

Any information is welcome

How much data are we talking about?

Do you want something like a locally hosted Git repo? Or just a file server with shadow copies?

What kind of budget are you working with?

Are you also maintaining offline (and ideally, offsite) backups as well? (A NAS is not a backup, and RAID is absolutely not a backup.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

How much data are we talking about?

Do you want something like a locally hosted Git repo? Or just a file server with shadow copies?

What kind of budget are you working with?

Are you also maintaining offline (and ideally, offsite) backups as well? (A NAS is not a backup, and RAID is absolutely not a backup.)

My current backups do not exceed 1TB, but the files are 1.5million, 2TB will be enough for now.

Budget is not an issue, but I am not looking to overpay and go to extreme levels.

I have my working machine where I compile the files/folders and I back them up on another PC.

The NAS would come in as a second level in this case,

(Working Machine -> PC Backup -> NAS?)

or I could use it as first level backup and have a cloud storage box to backup all NAS files?

(Working Machine -> NAS -> Hetzner Cloud Storage Box)

For that amount of data, a RAID 10 of four 2TB SSDs should last you for years to come. That would give you 4 TB of usable, redundant space.

If you're extremely worried about drive longevity, look into used datacenter SSDs like the Intel S4500 line. They're not the fastest, and they'll come with some miles on them, but they've got far longer rated lives than the consumer SSDs you can buy for the same price. (For example, the 1.94 TB Intel S4500 is rated for 3200 TBW, the Crucial BX500 is rated for 720 TBWthe WD Blue SA510 2TB is rated for 500 TBW, and the Samsung 870 EVO comes in second at 1200 TBW. You'll probably never write enough to wear any of these out, but it's cheap peace of mind.)

Spinning drives would give you a ton more space for the same price, but they'll be slower. (Especially since you seem to be writing tons and tons of tiny files.) 

And as always, no NAS is a replacement for offline backups. (That is, an external drive unplugged and sitting on a shelf.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

For that amount of data, a RAID 10 of four 2TB SSDs should last you for years to come. That would give you 4 TB of usable, redundant space.

If you're extremely worried about drive longevity, look into used datacenter SSDs like the Intel S4500 line. They're not the fastest, and they'll come with some miles on them, but they've got far longer rated lives than the consumer SSDs you can buy for the same price. (For example, the 1.94 TB Intel S4500 is rated for 3200 TBW, the Crucial BX500 is rated for 720 TBWthe WD Blue SA510 2TB is rated for 500 TBW, and the Samsung 870 EVO comes in second at 1200 TBW. You'll probably never write enough to wear any of these out, but it's cheap peace of mind.)

Spinning drives would give you a ton more space for the same price, but they'll be slower. (Especially since you seem to be writing tons and tons of tiny files.) 

And as always, no NAS is a replacement for offline backups. (That is, an external drive unplugged and sitting on a shelf.)

thank you, i will probably use some 2x wd reds 2tb I have laying around.

Do you have any info on the nvme for caching?

Also do you know which apps should I use for backups in synology?

6 hours ago, patriotaki said:

thank you, i will probably use some 2x wd reds 2tb I have laying around.

Do you have any info on the nvme for caching?

Also do you know which apps should I use for backups in synology?

What os is your web apps and websites running on? is there a hypervisor? 

I'd Probably run the web apps on VMs/Containers then backup those. Then you can easily make incremental backups and do it on a block level that should be much faster.