Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti with Full GM200 Core Ready – Planned for September Launch

ahhming

this is unlikely,it would undercut the TITAN X so hardly for no reason.

The 970 they could justify it because it got a lot of people to replace their perfectly fine 7xx series GPU's and there was always going to be a small market for the 980, but a 980 Ti will compete with both the TitanX and the regular 980 and butcher the sales of both.

The only reason to do this is if AMD's got the 980 beat bad and they needed something more reasonably priced to compete with it than the TitanX.  

I think this is more wishful thinking than anything.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I still see no logical reason why this card will exist. Nvidia would just be undercutting themselves which would be a poor business decision.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Why would they destroy their Titan X market?

Because people think that because there was a 780 Ti there must be a 980 Ti now.

imo people are getting hyped up over nothing.

I wonder how this will play out.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

This seems more like a clickbait article, no?  Like a reasonable guess at what a hypothetical 980Ti might have spec-wise, heck the same estimates come up on LTT threads.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Its basic ly a titan X with less vram and non reference coolers.

BRING ON THE OVERCLOCKS.

doesn't bring much to the table then as water cooled titan x's would clock the same and have more vram

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

For all you "why would the undercut" bla bla bla. 

They have already done this before.... its how the market works. 

GK110 GTX Titan: Feb 19, 2013 $1000
GK110 GTX 780ti November 7, 2013 $699

GM200 GTX Titan X: March 17, 2015 $1000

GM200 GTX 980ti: Fall 2015 $699

Look familiar? 

Titan = Compute Card. People will still buy it for the 12GB ram and other features. 

980ti = Gaming card. People will buy it because its better than the 980, but not OP like the X...

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

thought the full core has already been used.

No. They used the GM204 core previously. This is a completely different core. GM200.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

For all you "why would the undercut" bla bla bla. 

They have already done this before.... its how the market works. 

GK110 GTX Titan: Feb 19, 2013 $1000

GK110 GTX 780ti November 7, 2013 $699

GM200 GTX Titan X: March 17, 2015 $1000

GM200 GTX 980ti: Fall 2015 $699

Look familiar? 

Titan = Compute Card. People will still buy it for the 12GB ram and other features. 

980ti = Gaming card. People will buy it because its better than the 980, but not OP like the X...

Titan Black is what the 780ti undercut, but at least the titan Black had proper double precision compute, but yeah Titan cards, have always been "Snow" acards, and they know nothing.

Titan X, a compute card at 1/32 double precision? What a joke, getting beat by a midend AMD APU. The Titan X IS 980ti, but with an even more insane pricepoint, as come to be expected from nvidia.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Titan Black is what the 780ti undercut, but at least the titan Black had proper double precision compute, but yeah Titan cards, have always been "Snow" acards, and they know nothing.

Titan X, a compute card at 1/32 double precision? What a joke, getting beat by a midend AMD APU. The Titan X IS 980ti, but with an even more insane pricepoint, as come to be expected from nvidia.

The lack of proper FP64 compute abilities makes me dislike the Titan X a lot.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Very True. 

I have always laughed at the Titan, and probably always will, as being an overpriced "look at me and how much money/how stupid I am" type item. Most people who need actual compute cards, wont be buying this. And folks who need pseudo-compute cards, can just buy a 970/980 for their gpu-accelerated rendering. I suppose enough buy them to warrant their production though!

Very True. 

I have always laughed at the Titan, and probably always will, as being an overpriced "look at me and how much money/how stupid I am" type item. Most people who need actual compute cards, wont be buying this. And folks who need pseudo-compute cards, can just buy a 970/980 for their gpu-accelerated rendering. I suppose enough buy them to warrant their production though!

The Titan was a good cheap "Quadro" card. That was its point - The K6000 is 6 grand. That's a lot of money to drop compared to the Titan's $1,000 price point.

If this comes true I will take 2. As much as I'd like a Titan X, it's more cost effective for me to go either 980 SLI or this here rumoured 980Ti (SLI'd of course!).

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

Oh didn't know that. I assumed the Titan series was for professionals therefore their fp64 performance was boosted compared to the rest of the geforce series...

Last gen was because they were basicly quadros with geforce drivers.  The Titan X is simply a gaming card with regular geforce drivers

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Can't wait for them to release a Titan X Black if this is true. That would basically make the Titan X Black simply an overclocked Titan X.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

YAAAAAAAAAS

My Current Build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.5 GHz MOBO: ASUS Z97M mATX RAM: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4 GB) @ 1600 MHz Storage #1: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD Storage #2: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120 GB SSD GPU: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X WINDFORCE Case: Cooler Master N200 PSU: EVGA 80+ Bronze 600B 600W Monitor: AOC 2367 23" IPS Display 

Future Upgrades
RAM: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4 GB) @ 1600 MHz (for a total of 16 GB) Storage #3: Sansung 850 Pro Series 256 GB SSD GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Twin Frozer V Case: Corsair 350D Window mATX PSU: Cooler Master VSM 80+ Gold  650W
Add me on Steam:
Click me!

There won't be a 980ti. But a gtx 990.

Then on next gen the chips partly broken that could have made 990 or titan x will produce something in between gtx 970 and 980. idk how they'll call them, 1070/1080 or 975/985 no idea.

Fyi to naysayers : titan X doesn't aim a market, but one goal : best performance at 4k, 4k surround and WQHD resolutions with a bit of futureproofing.
Don't compare the perf of the 295x2 to a titan X but to a titan X SLI, or compare 2 295X2 to 4way titan X : we know AMD are cheaper, but nvidia provides more, and actually provides what's needed (high enough fps in multi-gpu for high res) way better than 295x2 can). There is no point in defending 295x2 when what u want is a perfect 4k/5k w or w/o surround with gsync at high FPS, they just don't bring it in.
Add to that the fact the titan X can be watercooled and overclocked to 1400+ somewhat easily, the AMD has no competition to oppose for this particular "need / market"

GTX 990 will ofc be more expansive than what AMD will bring in soon, but that will be the better GPU to go for a 1 or 2 GPU system that has to provide the power for something like the acer xr341 or QHD high fps systems..
For that use, the vram of titan X is overkill, and tho they have (maybe, coz who knows maybe the gtx 990 is a partly disabled titan X?) tho they have the same chip, the 990 will have more headroom and customized cooling, which should suit more for this particular need.

CPU : i5 4570 MB : MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate (MS-7850) RAM : Kingston 4x4 1600 GPU : Radeon HD 6670 SSD : samsung 840 PRO PSU : Corsair CX500

Actually, what might make more sense, is the release of two cars before Volta :

a 990 and a 990ti.
990 sporting the cut-down chips of titan X and 990ti, and a 990ti with the specs announced as a 980 ti.

The specs, naming and all that's announced seems weird to me and poses some questions :
a) what will they do with cut-down chips
b) won't they release a bi-gpu card someday before volta to fit in small form factors to the intention of QHD/4k people?
c) why do everyone call them 980ti when it makes no sense
d) why do people think that Nvidia competes with AMD, when it's obvious Nvidia only competes with a market that's plumetting? (low sales, prices too high in europe, no need GPU for the commoners, ...)
e) when will prices of GPU go drastically down? We can see the trend with this Titan X sold for "only" 999 dollars

CPU : i5 4570 MB : MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate (MS-7850) RAM : Kingston 4x4 1600 GPU : Radeon HD 6670 SSD : samsung 840 PRO PSU : Corsair CX500

There won't be a 980ti. But a gtx 990.

Then on next gen the chips partly broken that could have made 990 or titan x will produce something in between gtx 970 and 980. idk how they'll call them, 1070/1080 or 975/985 no idea.

Fyi to naysayers : titan X doesn't aim a market, but one goal : best performance at 4k, 4k surround and WQHD resolutions with a bit of futureproofing.

Don't compare the perf of the 295x2 to a titan X but to a titan X SLI, or compare 2 295X2 to 4way titan X : we know AMD are cheaper, but nvidia provides more, and actually provides what's needed (high enough fps in multi-gpu for high res) way better than 295x2 can). There is no point in defending 295x2 when what u want is a perfect 4k/5k w or w/o surround with gsync at high FPS, they just don't bring it in.

Add to that the fact the titan X can be watercooled and overclocked to 1400+ somewhat easily, the AMD has no competition to oppose for this particular "need / market"

GTX 990 will ofc be more expansive than what AMD will bring in soon, but that will be the better GPU to go for a 1 or 2 GPU system that has to provide the power for something like the acer xr341 or QHD high fps systems..

For that use, the vram of titan X is overkill, and tho they have (maybe, coz who knows maybe the gtx 990 is a partly disabled titan X?) tho they have the same chip, the 990 will have more headroom and customized cooling, which should suit more for this particular need.

What do you mean by 990, do you mean a Dual-GPU unit like the 690 was? 

And what's your reasoning for saying no "ti"?

980 and the card announced are two different architectures : GM204 and GM200.

Previously, there has never been a XX0 and XX0ti with different architectures.
For instance, in last gen the 780 and the 780ti were what the 970 and the 980 are now : the 780/970 are cut-down chips, whose perfect chips went in 780ti and 980.

Thus the "980ti" makes no sense, ti means it's not a cut-down chip, and the 980 isn't a cut-down chip. But maybe they'll totally change their branding name and forget logic.

For instance, in last gen the 780 and the 780ti were what the 970 and the 980 are now : the 780/970 are cut-down chips, whose perfect chips went in 780ti and 980.

Thus the "980ti" makes no sense, ti means it's not a cut-down chip, and the 980 isn't a cut-down chip. But maybe they'll totally change their branding name and forget logic.

Okay, that was what I was assuming, makes sense.

GTX 650 and the GTX 650ti were different. The  ti cards had a cut down GTX 660 GPU instead of a beefed up/full GTX 650 GPU.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

With the TITAN X only being ~33% faster than the GTX 980 things aren't looking good for Nvidia. The R9 290X is only ~15% slower than the GTX 980 while Fiji is 60% faster than Hawaii. That means Fiji is expected to be around 12% faster than the TITAN X before DirectX 12 optimized drivers. So Nvidia needs to squeeze 12% more performance out of the TITAN X just to remain competitive. Once Windows 10 launches it will be game over either way as AMD drivers will finally bring a threaded topology like Nvidia's.

Nvidia would essentially be lying down and taking it from AMD for the next year by doing that. It would only backfire on them twice as hard if Fiji happens to stomp out the TITAN X. AMD would claim the performance crown for the worlds fastest single GPU and if a GTX 990 came to be you can surely bet AMD would backfire with Bermuda. All this talk about a GTX 980 Ti with the same number of cores as the TITAN X with higher clocks and overall better performance is hinting at one thing, AMD caught Nvidia with their pants down. To the point they had to re-brand their highest performance card and factory overclock it to remain somewhat competitive. That's not even the start of it as GCN 1.3/2.0 is nearly as efficient as Maxwell (not quite but surely damn close in comparison to previous generations). It seems like Lisa Su being big in graphics manufacturing has pushed a lot of influence on their GPU department (as she is the temporary GM of that department).