Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti with Full GM200 Core Ready – Planned for September Launch

ahhming

I have always laughed at the Titan, and probably always will, as being an overpriced "look at me and how much money/how stupid I am" type item. 

If anyone is "stupid", it is the ones who continually push this weak argument. People who buy these cards are well aware of what they're getting themselves into; they're not oblivious to this.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

If anyone is stupid, it is the ones who continually push this weak argument. People who buy these cards are well aware of what they're getting themselves into; they're not oblivious to this.

Absolutely correct.

That's why some of them are "stupid". They buy the card because "its the best card". Not because it makes sense financially. Obviously that's not the case with all users, but it is to many, and Nvidia knows full well people will buy it just because "Its a titan". 

And yes, I see you have a Titan, congrats. Don't mean to offend you, the plague of "look at me I bought 2 Titans" is prevalent on other forums, not LTT :)

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Ya know, I've been thinking of this whole 980 Ti thing... and first, an unsourced rumor ("unnamed sources", seems so trustworthy) came up that it was being "prepared" for launch in the summer - which meant it was ready for a consumer release. Then more "unnamed sources" came in and said it was delayed to September. Why? lol who knows.

This, and the fact that nVIDIA would be undercutting the Titan X as well as the high-end 980 market, and the 980 already being a fully unlocked chip makes this sound more and more like nothing but hot air to me.

lol september, too late Nvidia, I'm getting the 390x this time.

There won't be a 980ti. But a gtx 990.

X90 is reserved for dual GPU cards, so no. The die size of GM200 makes dual GPU unlikely.

980ti as a SKU name isn't reserved for anything however, and that's what we're getting. Or they could call it something entirely different. But nobody really cares what it'll be called.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I'm thinking if they do release a GM200 in something other than a Titan X (and I think Nvidia will... It makes sense, I cant think of such a low volume, non-compute card launch in recent times)

that it will be labelled as a 980ti (perhaps 985) and may or may not be fully unlocked GM200 (depends on yield). from a performance standpoint it fits the naming convention... (990 is for dual GPU, there is no reason to go to 1xxx series name).

Titan X is in my mind a "premium-exclusive item" available to only those who can warrant the cost of it over a mainstream product, who want "early access" to the next gen of mainstream products (gm200) for a price premium.

My thoughts behind this:

Titan X is for gaming, not productivity, it is not to be thought of like the Titans of the past.

The 600mm2 chip must be yielding low production volumes with high failure rates to warrant such high price premium and "exclusive"ness of the Titan name.

once yield rates either:

a) improve to reach profitable levels (low numbers of failed chips)

or

B) a profitable margin of disabled-cores/failed-unit ratio is decided upon (failed chips can have failed sections disabled and then sold as inferior product)

A new card will be released

Option A sees us with a fully enabled GM200 980ti

Option B sees us with a cut-down GM200 980ti

The final option, scenario C, is that under Option B the yield count is so low that there is no significant performance advantage over the 980 GM204 with the required "profitable" number of disabled cores. in that scenario there is no new card. the 980 gets cheaper. end of story.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

980 and the card announced are two different architectures : GM204 and GM200.

Previously, there has never been a XX0 and XX0ti with different architectures.

For instance, in last gen the 780 and the 780ti were what the 970 and the 980 are now : the 780/970 are cut-down chips, whose perfect chips went in 780ti and 980.

Thus the "980ti" makes no sense, ti means it's not a cut-down chip, and the 980 isn't a cut-down chip. But maybe they'll totally change their branding name and forget logic.

GM200 and GM204 use the same architecture, which is Maxwell. All 600 series and 700 series cards(except for the 750 and 750 Ti) use Kepler.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Welp looks like ill b selling my 980s and getting the TI's

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

The launch date remains approximately September of this month.

what?

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

Idk the specs look too good.. Then again the 780 ti was pretty much a titan black with less vRAM when it came to gaming. I'm surprised no 20nm, I guess it is just a rumour atm.

Well then, would it be possible that the new GTX is not the 980ti, but a 990 that'd be a dual gpu off cut-off chips?

CPU : i5 4570 MB : MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate (MS-7850) RAM : Kingston 4x4 1600 GPU : Radeon HD 6670 SSD : samsung 840 PRO PSU : Corsair CX500

Lol what a joke, why would they cannibalize Titan X with ti version. And this kind of performance should've been on 980 since it's so expensive.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Lol what a joke, why would they cannibalize Titan X with ti version. And this kind of performance should've been on 980 since it's so expensive.

well becuase not everyone needs 12GB VRAM. Its like what nvidia did with the 780 ti and original titan 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Conveniently my birthday is in September, and I know exactly what to ask for.

CPU: Intel 5930K - GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti SSCMotherboard: Asus X-99 PRO/USB 3.1 - RAM: 32GB HyperX Savage @ 2800mhz CL14  Case: Phtanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass - Cooling: Corsair H100i V2 / Fractal Design Venturi Fans Storage: PNY XLR8 120 GB SSD (OS) + Seagate 2TB HDD (Games)

Even if it's from sweclockers, it's still a rumor so I'm staying away for now...

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

Does anyone have an example of a time that a WCCFTech was right? I seriously want to know if a single one of their leaks was ever true.

From my everything I've seen, WCCFTech saying something is going to happen simply means there is a 100% chance it WON'T be true.

I know it was originally from Sweclockers, but it seems like every story that WCCFTech chooses to repost just makes it not happen.

If I bought a Titan X for a single 4k display I'd be pissed right now, this is a much better option imo. 

if you bought a titan x and did not think that this card would be released within the year, you were an idiot.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

lol september, too late Nvidia, I'm getting the 390x this time.

X90 is reserved for dual GPU cards, so no. The die size of GM200 makes dual GPU unlikely.

980ti as a SKU name isn't reserved for anything however, and that's what we're getting. Or they could call it something entirely different. But nobody really cares what it'll be called.

whats so absurd about a dual gpu gm200 card, the die is smaller than both gk110 and hawaii both of which got dual gpu cards. Still bigger than GK104 which also got a dual gpu card aswell.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

The launch date remains approximately September of this month.

I didn't know you could have a month inside of a month. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

whats so absurd about a dual gpu gm200 card, the die is smaller than both gk110 and hawaii both of which got dual gpu cards. Still bigger than GK104 which also got a dual gpu card aswell.

The die size of GM200 is bigger than the die of all the other gpus that you mentioned.

At least according to Anandtech, GM200 is 601mm2, GK110 is 561mm2, while hawaii is the smallest at 438mm2.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Does anyone have an example of a time that a WCCFTech was right? I seriously want to know if a single one of their leaks was ever true.

From my everything I've seen, WCCFTech saying something is going to happen simply means there is a 100% chance it WON'T be true.

I know it was originally from Sweclockers, but it seems like every story that WCCFTech chooses to repost just makes it not happen.

About 90% of the ones since I joined LTT which were posted by Hassan Mujtaba (sp.?) have been dead on.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The die size of GM200 is bigger than the die of all the other gpus that you mentioned.

At least according to Anandtech, GM200 is 601mm2, GK110 is 561mm2, while hawaii is the smallest at 438mm2.

the fuck was i reading, thought GM200 was around 550 or something.

the fuck was i reading, thought GM200 was around 550 or something.

Not a clue :P

I still don't know if that would be a deal breaker for a dual gpu card or not though.

Edit: Edited out my own stupidity.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

whats so absurd about a dual gpu gm200 card

Part of it was already explained but I'll add that it's not just die size, the number of NAND on-PCB would also become a problem. It would be a long ass card, that's for sure.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

About 90% of the ones since I joined LTT which were posted by Hassan Mujtaba (sp.?) have been dead on.

That's because he doesn't speculate but rather fills blogs with what is known by the public already.

It would not surprise me one bit if these are the correct prices and specs for the 980Ti. I actually think that the price might be a bit high.  We all know that the titan line from Nvidia is sort of the "because we can" line, if you follow autos at all its sort of like dodges "hellcat" or fords "GT" car.  And in technology terms September is still a ways off.  By then the Titan X will be old news and nvidia will need something to spark the market again. 

I think the best part about this card will be the non reference power delivery.  Personally my cards end up with water blocks anyways so the "non reference cooler" really isnt a big deal, but for these chips its alllll about the binning and power delivery! Wouldn't doubt if we see some binned chips that will reach speeds of 1800+ mhz on air cooling.