World’s first head transplant volunteer could experience something "worse than death”

elisch

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3029376/Russian-volunteer-head-transplant-operation-Valery-Spiridonov-says-no-choice-undergo-7-5million-procedure-controversial-Italian-surgeon-Dr-Sergio-Canavero.html

http://www.sciencealert.com/world-s-first-head-transplant-volunteer-could-experience-something-worse-than-death

With a recent discovery in reconnecting a broken spinal cord a terminally ill man in Russia will undergo the first every human head transplant. In 1970 scientist were able to transplant a head from one monkey to another, however, because until recently they were not able to reattach the spinal cord the monkey was paralyzed. Now, with recent advancements in technology, scientists have figured out how to reconnect the spinal cord. They are planning on using this new technology in order to transplant ahead of a human onto a healthy dead donor body.

I would be freaking out if I was going into a hospital with the idea that my head may not be on this body anymore and on somebody else'’s. This is some scary stuff. All I can say is I wish him good luck because he is going to need it!

"Am I afraid? Yes, of course I am. But it is not just very scary, but also very interesting," said Mr Spiridonov (the man who is going to get the head transplant)

This is my first time posting and I am not sure if I am in the right place just thought this was too interesting not to post.

Honestly just because you stick a head on a different body, it was never really attached. The monkeys still needed supplied blood and oxygen flow to keep the brain alive. Quite honestly it was a horrible miserable failure in that regard. What they did prove is that you don't need a body to survive, technically.

I'm interested to see how they'll overcome attaching two different spinal cords to each other and if that'll even work.

wow that is some scary shit i don't even think if i had something wrong with my body i would do that

hold my beer

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

-snip-

I hadn't heard about it, so I appreciate you bringing us this news.

The news post procedure here is to also include bit of personal input, but you can just quickly edit that in before anyone notices.

Back on topic; as much as I fear for what might happen to the man, I'm interested in what will happen.

Wow, just wow...that's all I can say about this one!

AMD Radeon R9 290X / AMD FX-8320 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Samsung 830 128GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB / Corsair HX 850W / BitFenix Shinobi XL / CPU & GPU Watercooled - Thick Triple 360 Rad

first post on a tech forum, isn't about tech.....

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

hold my beer

only if you don't expect to get it back

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

hold my beer

:lol:

That's massively fucked up.

wow that is some scary shit i don't even think if i had something wrong with my body i would do that

Think of it as a latch ditch effort to save someone's life when all other efforts have failed, if they were up for it.

I would not want to be that guy... I hope it goes well... Btw, is the donor body from a dead person or what?

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

I would not want to be that guy... I hope it goes well... Btw, is the donor body from a dead person or what?

I would assume no, it's easier to jumpstart a recently decapitated body than one that's been dead for a while.

Russians are crazy.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Wrong on so many levels...

What 'donor' would volunteer to give his whole body away?

Talk about real life bodysnatchers...

Someone on deathrow?

Wow, if they pull this of think what it means for spinal injuries?  yikes. 

I read this:"could result in a hitherto never experienced level and quality of insanity". I just about fell of my chair, no shit, imagine the sudden influx of the brain experiencing someone else's biology.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I read this:"could result in a hitherto never experienced level and quality of insanity". I just about fell of my chair, no shit, imagine the sudden influx of the brain experiencing someone else's biology.

I imagine the patient acting how the Doctor acts when he regenerates lol

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Ouch

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Deathrow =/= willing to donate organs, let alone his entire body

I never said that. But there are people on deathrow that have been willing to donate their bodies for these experiments because what do they have to lose? Nothing.

Don't confuse what I saw with what you think.

Make sure you are not too healty and beautiful... otherwise some rich oligarchs will cut your head off and steal your body. 

But in a 50 years or so, i would not mind to be able to buy a new tube-grown healthy, beautiful body (no victims needed).

Put at least a quote.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

WTF i get goosbumps by reading this.A head on another body? i tought frankenstein was a joke man.