Why no one talks about the 295x2 being an option?

theelitegamer

Still puts out a ton of heat, my room gets incredibly hot with just a single 290 after about an hour of gaming.

Your problem then. get better ventilation I guess.

So? Its a dual gpu card, pretty much expected

Yeah but calling it a space heater is still accurate. The card itself might cool well, but it still generates a LOT of heat and gaming for a couple hours with it will make your room pretty hot.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

I have 2 watercooled 290s, and most of the cons surrounding heat, power consumption and stability are overhyped and blown out of proportion. That being said, if you buy a 295x2, replace the fan with something high quality.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Yeah but calling it a space heater is still accurate. The card itself might cool well, but it still generates a LOT of heat and gaming for a couple hours with it will make your room pretty hot.

Just open a window.

It's just that i Have enough of these heat jokes when 3,5 gb fiasco is defended so hard.

Your problem then. get better ventilation I guess.

It doesn't matter, the space heater statement isn't incorrect. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

It doesn't matter, the space heater statement isn't incorrect. 

i'm okay with that.

I have 2 watercooled 290s, and most of the cons surrounding heat, power consumption and stability are overhyped and blown out of proportion. That being said, if you buy a 295x2, replace the fan with something high quality.

I have a single 290x Lightning... I can't believe I almost fell for the "power consumption" and "heat" complaints I found in reviews all over the net. 27c while idle, 58c while gaming. While overclocked.

CPU: Intel i5-4690k                                                               RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-2400                                                                     Case: NZXT S340

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo                                                  Storage: Intel 730 SSD                                                                                                            PSU: EVGA 850G2

Mobo: Asus Z97-A 3.1                                                          GPU: 980ti G1                                                                                                                          OS: Windows 10 Pro

It's fine. It's just that people are still hooked on the whole "AMD BURNED MY HOUSE DOWN" thing when they're competing with nVidia in temperature. People look over Fermi like it was a fluke. Fermi was super hot and yet no jokes...meh. It just irks me sometimes lol

Oh man, I remember Fermi.  God I remember house fire jokes with that card.

Would you know if you could simply change the cooler for something like the corsair bracket with a h110i? 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Haha I had a GTX 560, that thing was a monster. Oddly enough, even in reference design it was quieter than my newer DirectCU2 GTX 760 >_>

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Because most people at that price-point don't want to deal with crossfire or SLI issues.  It also has a high power consumption, so to suggest one would be relying on the buyer to have a more than adequate PSU, which not everyone has. 

Most people probably would rather go with a single gpu solution where there are not many issues. And there is the fact that the card needs a massive amount of power.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Radeon is so overlooked. Yet in each price bracket, mostly, there is a Radeon card that beats a Nvidia card for around the same, or less, cash.

270x>750ti

280x>960

290x>970

295x2>980

Comparing a DUAL GPU card to a single GPU card is not something you should do...   the 980 beats everything AMD has to offer with the same SINGLE GPU IN MIND.. put two 980s against a 295x2, then compare because thats what the 295x2 is.

CPU - Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.80GHz / GPU - MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming / RAM - 16 GB G.Skill TridentX 2400 MHz / Motherboard - Maximus VI Formula / CPU Cooler - Kraken x60 / Power Supply - Rosewill Lightning 1300w / Case - Enthoo Luxe Monitor - Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Sound - Razer Kraken 7.1 / Keyboard - Razer Blackwidow Chroma / Mouse - Razer Naga Hex + Razer Deathadder Chroma | Picture - [http://i.imgur.com/SSKZKWu.jpg]

Most people probably would rather go with a single gpu solution where there are not many issues. And there is the fact that the card needs a massive amount of power.

Not too much though, like a 750 - 850 watt will do fine though

Comparing a DUAL GPU card to a single GPU card is not something you should do...   the 980 beats everything AMD has to offer with the same SINGLE GPU IN MIND.. put two 980s against a 295x2, then compare because thats what the 295x2 is.

Dual 980's would definitely be more powerful than a 295x2. But... 

$1100 for a dual 980... $650 for a 295x2. Point nullified.

I'd even suspect my 290x is not far behind most 980's in regards to benchmarks like Valley and Heaven. And the "Graphics Score" found in Fire Strike. $350 vs $550.

CPU: Intel i5-4690k                                                               RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-2400                                                                     Case: NZXT S340

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo                                                  Storage: Intel 730 SSD                                                                                                            PSU: EVGA 850G2

Mobo: Asus Z97-A 3.1                                                          GPU: 980ti G1                                                                                                                          OS: Windows 10 Pro

True, but the price is what I'm looking at. This convo reminding me of the gtx 690 vs two 7970 ghz. The good old days

tell that to all the people who compared the 690 to a single 7970 back in the day. The "we got the best single card" nonsense got so loud AMD had to make the 7990. 

But I agree, comparing dual to single gpu cards is silly.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

tell that to all the people who compared the 690 to a single 7970 back in the day. The "we got the best single card" nonsense got so loud AMD had to make the 7990. 

But I agree, comparing dual to single gpu cards is silly.

xD, yeah amd force the hand with the 7990

Further proving that it's an Nvidia biased forum, even the 3,5 GB fiasco was defended to the death by some sad sacks

The whole 3.5gb fiasco is really not that bad (or atleast as bad as people make it seem, most people saying it's atrocious and terrible have no experience with 970s), I have 2 970's myself, and the stuttering that happens every so often is not really all that bad.

Even at 1440p I've only found a tiny amount of games that actually cause the issue.

It's still disappointing though and dumb that they BS'd us like that.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

The GPU itself stays cool because of the liquid cooling. it still pumps out an ungodly amount of heat into your room as a direct consequence of consuming up to 500 watts of power. Same goes for most SLI / Crossfire configurations. More power consumption = more heat generated, which is independent of how well the cores themselves are being cooled.

I can honestly say that my single 970 has been pumping out some heat since I began running games on three monitors.

Although, that could be the monitors themselves heating up my room I guess.

The whole 3.5gb fiasco is really not that bad (or atleast as bad as people make it seem, most people saying it's atrocious and terrible have no experience with 970s), I have 2 970's myself, and the stuttering that happens every so often is not really all that bad.

Even at 1440p I've only found a tiny amount of games that actually cause the issue.

I'll say this, my single strix handles 5720x1080 on hardline and bf4 like a champ, on high. Ultra...not so much.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

THe BSing part is what I mean.

I have a single 290x Lightning... I can't believe I almost fell for the "power consumption" and "heat" complaints I found in reviews all over the net. 27c while idle, 58c while gaming. While overclocked.

Temperature and heat are two different things though. The cooler is incredible and is able to blast all the heat generated out into your case so that your core temperature stays low. But you can't destroy heat, you just move it elsewhere. Still, I could care less about 100W extra being generated and put into the case as long as it has decent airflow to get it out. It's like someone telling you not to turn the lights on in your house because the 100W bulb heats the place. Or don't let friends in since the human body generates 100W and will also heat your home.

I have 290x crossfire which is basically the same thing.

I recommend this or similar setups a lot, especially when the price is right.

Temperature and heat are two different things though. The cooler is incredible and is able to blast all the heat generated out into your case so that your core temperature stays low. But you can't destroy heat, you just move it elsewhere. Still, I could care less about 100W extra being generated and put into the case as long as it has decent airflow to get it out. It's like someone telling you not to turn the lights on in your house because the 100W bulb heats the place. Or don't let friends in since the human body generates 100W and will also heat your home.

Amen. I will sweat for 100 fps tbh. 

If I had to do it all over again i would have went with a pair of 295X2's

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2