Why no one talks about the 295x2 being an option?

theelitegamer

The 295X2 is pretty cool. Although if i had to pick a variant it would have to be the ARES III

AresIII_16.jpg

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Those are load temperatures on a water cooling loop, I'm sure the Titan X could reach that same temperature or better if it had an AIO on it. What's funny is the fact that the Titan X doesn't need an AIO to run. The 295X2 might not need an AIO, but the air coolers that do exist for it... are massive.

How much actual heat the card produces is still very relevant, because it's not going to disappear, it's going to turn into a miniature radiator for your room. Honestly, when AMD chip owners themselves tell me their rooms heat up, I have a hard time believing it's "irrelevant."

Breaking news, the grass is green! It's two high end cards with a 250W TDP, I'm sure even dual Titans (non-X) will get pretty hot, too. In comparison to AMD, though, a single 290X does produce a lot more heat than a single Titan X, so chances are, a dual 290X will also produce more heat than a dual 295X2

Maybe you haven't heard of the heat output of the Titan X because it isn't quite the same miniature radiator that the 290X is, but that's just a guess, I don't own the Titan X to verify. Also, people have commented on the power draw of the Titan X, and while it is pretty high, typically people say it has a significantly higher performance per watt than the 290X, so it's justifiable. 

So in order for a titan X to have the same low temps as a 295x2 you need to spend MORE on a custom cooling loop, which adds to your price, voids the warranty on an 1100 dollar card, and comes with some potential risk. 295x2 all that is DONE, for 400 less than an air cooled titanX.

So the 290x is a "miniature radiator" because it has 290W TDP, but the Titan X with its 250W TDP isn't? Is 40W THAT big a difference?  Its also worth noting that AMD and Nvidia calculate TDP differently, so the gap between the two in terms of power draw is even closer.

So you sarcastically explain to me that its totally obvious that two high end high TDP cards produce a lot of heat with the TitanX, yet wouldn't that also apply to two 290xs?

Finally, people mention temps rather than heat, because heat is irrelevant if its vented outside of your case and the card and its components remain relatively cool. Yeah im sure if you live in the sahara desert and do your gaming in a closet the vented heat might be a slight issue, but for just about everyone else its irrelevant. In a decent sized room it wont affect the ambient temp at all, and if for some reason it actually did, then at least where I live in the Northern US that would actually be a GOOD thing 7 months out of the year and would save you some heating costs. So TEMPS are what matters, not heat produced, and the Titan X has VRAM temps that are high enough to do damage and produce degredation, the 295x2 doesn't.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

The 295X2 is pretty cool. Although if i had to pick a variant it would have to be the ARES III

AresIII_16.jpg

That's sexy af <3

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

That's sexy af <3

Single slot.

It just screams power. 3x8 pin connectors. I have the power. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

600W is high, even for a dual GPU card. 300W is a lot for a single GPU card and is the entire reason the stock 290X was so bad. Stop being a ridiculous fanboy.

So imagine two TitanXs with their 250W plus tdp, plus the power used on a custom cooling loop and you really think the TDP is going to be substantially different? Same with two gtx 780 TI's in a custom loop. The stock 290x was "so bad" because AMD rushed the card out and figured people would either using custom water cooling or go with the non reference coolers that quickly followed. It was admittedly a dick move by AMD to put out such a crappy reference cooler, but the air cooler for the TitanX isn't exactly cooling excellence either, the VRAM temps are pretty bad, but people don't seem to care because its Nvidia and it looks cool I guess.

By the way, a head to head review I read of the TitanX and 295x2 in Forbes had the 295x2 pulling 450 Watts, so I don't know where you got the 600W from. In the review the 295x2 ran at 60C under load, the TitanX at 87C. That's a pretty huge temperature difference, and it didn't even mention the TitanX VRAM temps which Ive seen go well above 100C in reviews.

Its amazing to me people who knock the 295x2 for being too hot(at 60C), will gush over the TitanX without mentioning the temperature issue with that card.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Single slot.

It just screams power. 3x8 pin connectors. I have the power. 

Where we going we don't need power xD 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

So imagine two TitanXs with their 250W plus tdp, plus the power used on a custom cooling loop and you really think the TDP is going to be substantially different? Same with two gtx 780 TI's in a custom loop. The stock 290x was "so bad" because AMD rushed the card out and figured people would either using custom water cooling or go with the non reference coolers that quickly followed. It was admittedly a dick move by AMD to put out such a crappy reference cooler, but the air cooler for the TitanX isn't exactly cooling excellence either, the VRAM temps are pretty bad, but people don't seem to care because its Nvidia and it looks cool I guess.

By the way, a head to head review I read of the TitanX and 295x2 in Forbes had the 295x2 pulling 450 Watts, so I don't know where you got the 600W from. In the review the 295x2 ran at 60C under load, the TitanX at 87C. That's a pretty huge temperature difference, and it didn't even mention the TitanX VRAM temps which Ive seen go well above 100C in reviews.

Its amazing to me people who knock the 295x2 for being too hot(at 60C), will gush over the TitanX without mentioning the temperature issue with that card.

Yes. You're talking about a 100W TDP difference between two Titan Xs and two 290Xs. Not that I even mentioned a Titan X to start with. That's a third of the TDP of an entire 290X.

I didn't knock the 295x2 for being "too hot", I said it had a high heat output. Looks like there's yet another person who needs to learn some basic physics in this thread.

And the TDP comes from here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2460/radeon-r9-290x.html

They state the TDP of a single 290X as being 290W.

And by "pulling", I hope you aren't implying that you think TDP means the same thing as power consumption...