mother thinks video games are a waste of time

Evostatic343

so my mother absolutely hates it when i play games whether its on the pc or xbox. every time i play them she either makes me stop and gives me a whole lecture on how i should be doing better things with my life or just limits my time playing. to be fair i only play on average 1-2 hours ish a day. how can i explain to her that they are actually fun and aren't pointless?

please dont troll i just want the opinion of other forum members. 

most parents do just accept it and try not to anything that would reinforce her opinion

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

It is true... Playing video games isn't productive at all... 

Unless you're earning money from it.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Yeah they can be. There's nothing wrong with wasting time though, people live in way too much stress as it is since very early with school, school and part time job, full time job, kids and full time jobs, etc. People should be entitled to waste time.

-------

Current Rig

-------

My two favorite options:

1. Tell her that your grades are fine, life isn't purely about work, people need to blow off steam.

or

2. You didn't ask for her opinion. (the one I generally went with first, does not work well, but I found it to be more satisfying)

It is true... Playing video games isn't productive at all... 

Unless you're earning money from it.

No person can maintain 100% productivity throughout their lives.

People NEED to waste time at some point.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

My two favorite options:

1. Tell her that your grades are fine, life isn't purely about work, people need to blow off steam.

or

2. You didn't ask for her opinion. (the one I generally went with first, does not work well, but I found it to be more satisfying)

Do we know how much does he plays it?

I mean if he plays like 1-2 hrs a day, then just give him a break

if like 6+ constantly then she does have a point

like some people watch TV or read books i gamed a lot. i made it out of high school AND a trade school. i'm almost 19. so yah it may be a waist of time for some people but its what I did to pass time. point is if you stay in school and do your work you'll be fine. just good luck trying to get a job is not easy for any one out of high school, or still in.

Brony for LIFE!!!

/)^3^(\ RD FTW
Daily carry: HTC one M8, pebbe steel PBD, nexus 7 2013

Of course we need to entertain ourselves, but OP's Mom doesn't see it that way ;)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

i am 17 my mom is 52

Same boat, although I'm 19. For me, videogames were always an inspiration. Seeing how humanity can evolve in Halo, to the puzzle-filled fields of Hyrule, to learing boolean logic from redstone in minecraft, videogames were always a way for me to step back from the limited view I would ever be able to have in reality and see how things could be, and not how they are. This is an incredibly important skill, and I believe it has helped me. My solution is a bit passive aggressive, but start playing a game that requires thought, something with easy mechanics to learn (like portal) and when your mom lectures you, challenge her to prove to you that what you are doing progresses no skill and can be done by anyone right away. Ask her when she last had a sense of accomplishment that lifted her spirits. Ask her when she last read a book and felt like she was being involved in the story, or at the very least how often it made her smile. I feel like these questions really target the arguments that videogames are pointless. And if that doesn't work, turn subtitles on and show her that you can read and play videogames at the same time.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 2x8GB

Corsair SFX 750W

Phanteks Evolve Shift Air (glass front)

2x Corsair Force GS 120GB SSD (RAID 0)

"...that's why she insists I concentrate on the taxidermy".

Lols   :P

Sorry, I know....

:D  :D  :D

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Explain it to her,slowly and i bet she will understand,do not fight with her,that will make it worse.

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

Seriously I could be here all day.

Edit:

(Oblique meme is oblique )

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

so my mother absolutely hates it when i play games whether its on the pc or xbox. every time i play them she either makes me stop and gives me a whole lecture on how i should be doing better things with my life or just limits my time playing. to be fair i only play on average 1-2 hours ish a day. how can i explain to her that they are actually fun and aren't pointless?

They are a waste of time but that is the whole point of them. They are an "escape" from day to day life. What would she rather you do?

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

Technically she is right,

That very much depends on how you want to live your life, and what you find fulfilling, interesting, stimulating etc

People can spend their time doing whatever they want, if somebody wants to spend their whole life staring at a brick wall, then who am I to tell them not to

Measuring your "success" by other peoples standards is bullshit.... maybe Mr wall starer finds helping others, having a job, and raising a family a waste of time, since he could be spending that time staring at a wall

Why is somebodies time better spent doing one task or another? It doesn't change anything, the universe will continue as normal either way

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

We can't really make specific comments on this, just express general opinions. E.G  I only curb my sons gaming when they start to priorities computer games over other more important aspects of life, like eating, study, social interaction and family values.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I hate people like that. They need to understand that everyone has different interests. If playing games is what you really enjoy doing in life, then do it and have a good time.

Does she want you to hang out with hooligans or what?

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Everything is a waste of time if you're not reproducing. So bring a guy/girl home and do em in front of your mom and says it's productive cause it's all humans are for

I play games to keep me sane from the shit I have to deal with in college and from the fact that I'm far from home and gf :/ If my parents ddn't allow me to bring my PC, who know what I would become

Do heroin, then when you're an addict blame her 'should have let me play games'

My mum was the same, but she's stopped nagging me about it since I left school. 

I still get all my jobs done, but I spend my time gaming when I am not able to snowboard. 

Just tell he it's a hobby. If that doesn't work, the Xbox makes a great weapon. 

It doesn't make a great weapon.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

just tell her its better then smoking pot

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Well, I'm in the same situation as you. BUT I do have a job, I work 3 days a way I work from 10am-11pm (I know, it's long). I've stopped playing console (PS4) since I got my PC (Coming to 7 months now). My mum always thinks that I'm gaming on the PC, I do, but sometimes I have to bring the work to home or sometimes work from home. 

Now, I'm going to study at Birmingham Uni next year, I'll need to find another job or leave my current one. 

Trust me, go look for a job. It'll help you, your mum won't worry to much then. :) 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Gaming makes you develop problem solving skills, has social interactions, stimulates your mind, and enables you to de-stress after a bad day.

Many good points have already been made,.. and gaming in moderation is best of course,.. like ANYTHING in this world.

Plus.. it's YOUR life, as stated before,... living by other peoples standards (esp who lived in a different generation/time) is stupid beyond belief...in some cases.

There are also people that see you when they come home,.. your gaming,. and they figure you've been gaming since you got up, regardless it may have only been started the minute before they saw you doing so.

You can't please some people,.. no matter what you do.

There are also so many people who do worse wasting of time,...TV/Movies/Music and such, at least Gaming is Interactive and stimulates your brain.

Many great points in this thread as I said,..  all taken into account,.. your mum is outright just trying to make sure you get the best out of life,.. without realizing it has other benefits that don't end with just your entertainment.

/Parents usually let off once you have a job anyway, like mine.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

hey, can you say that she's wrong a 100% ? :/ she does have a point but it depends on perspective i guess..

Details separate people.

If it's a waste of time, but it's fun and you like it, and then it's not a waste of time.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Just say how you enjoy them, and that they are a good waste of time.  Tbh does your mom really want you on the street, hanging out with inappropriate friends?  Pick your poison.

both?

i5-4690k @ 4.2GHz | Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II | Hyper 212 EVO | ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz, Corsair XMS 4GB | 850 EVO 250GB, random 1TB drive | Corsair 200R | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W | Rosewill RK-9000BR | Logitech G700s | Logitech G930 | ViewSonic VG2427wm, Dell S2209W, Dell S2009W

Dell Inspiron 3147

Latitude E5420, Samsung 840 EVO 250gb, 12gb RAM, 1600x900 display

Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz | WD Red 2TB x3 in RAID-Z, Crucial MX100 128GB(cache drive) | Fractal Design Node 304 | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB | EVGA 500B

HTC One M8 64GB, Droid Razr M