mother thinks video games are a waste of time

Evostatic343

Not to start an argument, but rather to explain where some folks come from.

Most parents want the best for their child, and when they see you "wasting your life" they are concerned. I think that its not wrong for that concern to exist, but I think that since technology, gaming, and various other forms of entertainment have changed so much, in such a little amount of time, that most of the older generations purely do not understand, and, fail to explain themselves and their concern properly. They see computers as an "ultra" waste of time, versus reading or watching TV as "lesser" wasting of time, since they grew up with the latter. 

If she went to him and said "hey Jonny, I want to make sure you got your homework done today, and want you to think about anything you could do to help around the house before you start relaxing this evening" Maybe he will find something to clean for a few minutes. make her happy, help the family, and voila, can game now. ::shrugs::. That's what I always thought when I grew up. "Mom, if you had just said that in another way, instead of - stop wasting your time and be productive - I would be much happier to do other things".

Now, once you grow older, are not living at home, you can do whatever you want, sure. But, as a member society, you are expected to contribute to it. If society just left these folks to do what they want, and let them waste away and die (because no job, money, food, etc), then sure, you could do whatever you want. But, at least here in the US (I know other countries do, just, don't know the specifics), we give people money and food and welfare if they only make XXXXX money, so they don't just die, or turn to other methods of getting money. So essentially, if you are making horrible life choices that makes you need welfare, you are 1. taking available money from those who actually need it, and 2, Taking taxpayer money, so you can keep making the same bad life choices. Now, this does point to a potentially flawed government welfare system, sure. But you therefore have many people who think, and dare I say deserve, to tell you when you are making bad life choices, since they do affect others, and not just yourself. 

And yes, I was just bored this morning and decided to write a mini essay :P Should probably, yknow, get back to work instead of "wasting my life on LTT". 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K, GFX: Asus GTX 970 Strix, MOBO: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING, RAM: DDR4 GSkill Ripjaw 4 (4GBx2 @ 3000mhz), SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120gb, HDD: Hitachi 500gb, PSU: Corsair CX 430w, DISPLAY: Acer GD245HQ, CASE: NZXT S340 white, MOUSE: Logitech MX 518, KEYBOARD: TVS-E USB Mechanical  

Sorry to break it to you, but video games are time wasters. Of course, it is a hobby, just like anything else. Lastly, at 17, are you currently doing anything worthwhile? Like getting an education that will improve the quality of your life? Because if you aren't being productive, I would understand your mother's perspective on the subject.

hey, can you say that she's wrong a 100% ? :/ she does have a point but it depends on perspective i guess..

+1

Not to start an argument, but rather to explain where some folks come from.

Most parents want the best for their child, and when they see you "wasting your life" they are concerned. I think that its not wrong for that concern to exist, but I think that since technology, gaming, and various other forms of entertainment have changed so much, in such a little amount of time, that most of the older generations purely do not understand, and, fail to explain themselves and their concern properly. They see computers as an "ultra" waste of time, versus reading or watching TV as "lesser" wasting of time, since they grew up with the latter. 

If she went to him and said "hey Jonny, I want to make sure you got your homework done today, and want you to think about anything you could do to help around the house before you start relaxing this evening" Maybe he will find something to clean for a few minutes. make her happy, help the family, and voila, can game now. ::shrugs::. That's what I always thought when I grew up. "Mom, if you had just said that in another way, instead of - stop wasting your time and be productive - I would be much happier to do other things".

Now, once you grow older, are not living at home, you can do whatever you want, sure. But, as a member society, you are expected to contribute to it. If society just left these folks to do what they want, and let them waste away and die (because no job, money, food, etc), then sure, you could do whatever you want. But, at least here in the US (I know other countries do, just, don't know the specifics), we give people money and food and welfare if they only make XXXXX money, so they don't just die, or turn to other methods of getting money. So essentially, if you are making horrible life choices that makes you need welfare, you are 1. taking available money from those who actually need it, and 2, Taking taxpayer money, so you can keep making the same bad life choices. Now, this does point to a potentially flawed government welfare system, sure. But you therefore have many people who think, and dare I say deserve, to tell you when you are making bad life choices, since they do affect others, and not just yourself. 

And yes, I was just bored this morning and decided to write a mini essay :P Should probably, yknow, get back to work instead of "wasting my life on LTT". 

Yeah, exactly. My dad was complaining to me about his 8 year old Windows XP laptop and how slow it is. I told him that it needs an upgrade and he just laughed at me and told me not to lecture him. I told him then why are u begging me for help. I asked him how a computer works and then that shut him up. 

I hate how parents are techno-phobic 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro