What Mechanical Key Type is Best?

Tehgoose
Go to solution Solved by Agent181,

Lets see

gaming and typing hmmmmm

Brown MX

I am new to mechanical keyboards and I would like to know what type of mechanical key I would prefer.

I am using the keyboard for gaming but I need it for typing when doing essays etc.

There is no best. its all personal preference 

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

It really all comes down to personal preference.  It's kind of hard to know which one you want if you've never typed on a mechanical keyboard, and what most people like might not be what you like.

I am new to mechanical keyboards and I would like to know what type of mechanical key I would prefer.

I am using the keyboard for gaming but I need it for typing when doing essays etc.

Most of the time it's personal preference. I would go for MX Browns some like Reds. My local NCIX has a really cool thing where it has a tester layed out with different key switches. Maybe your local store has something similar?

I find browns are pretty god for both gaming and typing. Here's the legend himself explaining them as fast as possible:

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Ordering one of these to sample the feel isn't a bad thing. Has a sampling of switches from Cherry, one of the leaders in mech switches:

http://www.amazon.com/Max-Keyboard-Keycap-Cherry-Sampler/dp/B00E71W4O8

Edit: Nexxus, you beat me to it!

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Ordering one of these to sample the feel isn't a bad thing. Has a sampling of switches from Cherry, one of the leaders in mech switches:

http://www.amazon.com/Max-Keyboard-Keycap-Cherry-Sampler/dp/B00E71W4O8

Edit: Nexxus, you beat me to it!

Gateron > Cherry MX

At least for blacks.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Lets see

gaming and typing hmmmmm

Brown MX

whatever you prefer.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

I personally like Browns. I feel the reds are mushy and the blacks are a heavy mushy feel. I like the browns so I know when the key is activated. I like the blues but the click is too much since I will be doing youtube and I don't want all that sound in the background.

Cherry MX Brown would fit your uses well. Cherry MX Blues if you want the added click noise too.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Deffo go for a Cherry branded key switch,

For gaming: Most people pick the MX Reds.

For genral use: MX Blues

Also the Razer's Green key switch is another great choice (Alot of people will properly rage at me for saying that :ph34r: ) Ive been using the Razer BlackWidow Chroma RGB keyboard with Razer's Green Mechanical key switches and one you get use to it, Its a great switch type. I would highly recommend it and the keyboard

Buy one of those key switch tester things. It's the only way to tell for sure. Better to invest in that than buy a keyboard and find out that you are dissatisfied with it.

I have similar wants to you and I ultimately settled on browns.

that brown stuff is amazing. tactile without much of the blue noise.  

amazeballs

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Brown would be perfect for you.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Sad day you didn't come to me first :P

Check the link in my sig. Switches are not a "one-size-fits-all" or "this switch is meant for X purpose." You may come to hate browns if, say, you're a heavy typist like myself where Greens or Clears are more your thing. Just check my sig for all the right info.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Deffo go for a Cherry branded key switch,

For gaming: Most people pick the MX Reds.

For genral use: MX Blues

Also the Razer's Green key switch is another great choice (Alot of people will properly rage at me for saying that :ph34r: ) Ive been using the Razer BlackWidow Chroma RGB keyboard with Razer's Green Mechanical key switches and one you get use to it, Its a great switch type. I would highly recommend it and the keyboard

It is still different than a true MX blue, however.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

To be honest, if you care about super fast and easy reaction time, MX Browns.

If you want something you won't press accidentally and which is more fun to use, MX blues.

If you want a stiffer switch that really makes you feel like you're at a battlestation, MX greens.

Greens feel a lot like blues with a heavier spring, but the stem in greens is --slightly-- different than a MX blue stem.   They're almost exactly the same, but there are subtle differences which will give a slightly different feel, if both used the same spring.

Each to their own.

The general perception is:

Reds are better for gaming, blues are the best for typing and browns are all rounders.

I use reds primarily for typing and I love them. Very low amount of force required and my hands can effortlessly glide over the keyboard. Browns are similar to this however you have the little bit of feedback there - I like them better for typing. Blues aren't my cup of tea.

Need help with the RMA/retail side of things? Feel free to send me a PM, always happy to share my industry experience with others.