Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

this. see. 

Dangerous ideas come from posts like this. 

Lube and thermal compound. 

Works fine for me :?

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

2lewd4u

Come on now, you can't just jump into the heavy stuff, got to get the soft parts in first.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Works fine for me :?

thermal paste does not work as lube. 

But hey everything's a learning experience!

really? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Buffy fanfic with thermal paste dick wouldn't be the strangest fanfic I've seen. Some Linus fanfic on /g/ could top it pretty well.

Link?

For research purposes  :ph34r:

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

really? 

Uhuh.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

Link?

NeUQ3EW.png

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Uhuh.

that's hot. 

Or more accurately thermally conductive. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Toothpaste does not work as thermal paste. But lube does.

attachicon.gifHottttttttttttttt.png

I'm genuinely horrified. 

1. Why is that a thing

2. How did you find it? Seems like a niche thing? or is it that frequent on /g/ ?

Why is it a thing? Well rule34 of course.

It isn't very common, only seen LTT fanfic a couple of times. Most Linus threads are LinusShillTips threads, often entertaining reads though.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Come on now, you can't just jump into the heavy stuff, got to get the soft parts in first.

" he walked down the street with his coffee cup in his hand. 'glad i got out of that starbucks quick, too many apple users in there' he thought. it was another cool day in town, one that was almost too cool. suddenly, he realized everyone was wearing sunglasses."

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Link?

I don't usually save that sort of stuff, you could probably find it by searching through some /g/ archives if you wanted.

Spoiler

When I was upgrading my first computer I bent the pins because I didnt know what the hell I was doing  ( I was 13 and the pc was store bought so I've never done it before) Thankfully I was able to fix them with a credit card and steak knife and it still runs to this day...just not in my room because it sucks

When I was upgrading my first computer I bent the pins because I didnt know what the hell I was doing  ( I was 13 and the pc was store bought so I've never done it before) Thankfully I was able to fix them with a credit card and steak knife and it still runs to this day...just not in my room because it sucks

good job getting back on topic.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

good job getting back on topic.

most of it was due to the fact I wrote it when there was still one page and I forgot to hit post when I got food

No I didn't I probably should have first, I'm still distraught after reading that someone had purchased a computer from Harvey Norman.

Ok, just read it, I don't even how they would go as far as to decide to not put any screws back in your laptop. Did you turn on the laptop and get the employee to try to use it with the broken mouse button? If they still refuse to properly fix it try getting in contact with the store manager or franchisee owner. Hope you get it solved as that is some next level bullshit.

Buffy fanfic with thermal paste dick wouldn't be the strangest fanfic I've seen. Some Linus fanfic on /g/ could top it pretty well.

It is not the only dodgy repairs that Harvey Norman has done. The back-light died on my brothers laptop and also Harvey Norman's after market warranty and they broke the hinges. My brothers laptop dodgy repair's happened after i had Purchased my laptop.

It is not the only dodgy repairs that Harvey Norman has done. The back-light died on my brothers laptop and also Harvey Norman's after market warranty and they broke the hinges. My brothers laptop dodgy repair's happened after i had Purchased my laptop.

stop going to them. i will start repairing your stuff for the cost of hardware and shipping in less than 3 work days.

everytime you mention harvey norman i now cringe.

" he walked down the street with his coffee cup in his hand. 'glad i got out of that starbucks quick, too many apple users in there' he thought. it was another cool day in town, one that was almost too cool. suddenly, he realized everyone was wearing sunglasses."

Alrighty, maybe an offtopic thread should be started now as this thread has derailed quite far.

What CPU was it? Cool that you were able to fix it.

I dropped a Pentium D early this year, landed right on the pins, surprisingly only about half a dozen were bent. Still works though.

Spoiler

Forgot that my compressor was full of condensation and used it to blow out my computer.

stop going to them. i will start repairing your stuff for the cost of hardware and shipping in less than 3 work days.

everytime you mention harvey norman i now cringe.

That is a good thing that you cringe when i talk about it. (I think)

They currently have my laptop.

I spent $300 on after market warranty, I expected it to be good.

that's hot. 

Or more accurately thermally conductive. 

Hah! You think I actually use lube.

No, I just have a 9590 ;)

No but really I wonder if Lube would work....Hmph, I don't really want to try on my poor 4690K :(

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

That is a good thing that you cringe when i talk about it. (I think)

They currently have my laptop.

I spent $300 on after market warranty, I expected it to be good.

i wouldn't ever buy a warranty anymore. it's just not worth it in almost all cases.

Hah! You think I actually use lube.

No, I just have a 9590 ;)

No but really I wonder if Lube would work....Hmph, I don't really want to try on my poor 4690K :(

silicon lube might work, not water or oil based.

i wouldn't trust silicon lube not to leak everywhere though.

my 9590 doesnt hit 100C or if it does i can't tell because my temps fluctuate alot.

i wouldn't ever buy a warranty anymore. it's just not worth it in almost all cases.

Go on ONLY WANTING A COMPUTER.

Come out with:

* MS Office $75

* Laptop Case $50

* After market warranty $100+

and the computer. 

Go on ONLY WANTING A COMPUTER.

Come out with:

* MS Office $75

* Laptop Case $50

* After market warranty $100+

and the computer. 

in the words of Macklemore:

"SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT I call that getting swindled and pimped!"

srsly. just get the computer and walk away. you're like a hungry person in a grocery store.

paid for office.....

What CPU was it? Cool that you were able to fix it.

I dropped a Pentium D early this year, landed right on the pins, surprisingly only about half a dozen were bent. Still works though.

fx 6100, upgraded to a 7770 because it came out soon after (during all of this I knew next to nothing about computers so those two things were bough on recommendations of others on forums with my budget, somewhat regret it, but what ever, my new computer is a beast)

fx 6100, upgraded to a 7770 because it came out soon after (during all of this I knew next to nothing about computers so those two things were bough on recommendations of others on forums with my budget, somewhat regret it, but what ever, my new computer is a beast)

You shouldn't regret it as it wasn't a huge expense, would have been a decent learning experience too.

Spoiler