Google's Project Titan Gets FCC Approval, Will Start Testing

Project to deliver wireless internet access via unmanned drone aircraft OK'd by US federal governmentGoogle has been given the green light by the FCC to start testing of their solar-powered Titan drones, which will be used to beam down Wi-Fi to whatever region Google (and potentially other companies) wants to provide with internet access, such as natural disaster areas or sporting events.

Titan Aerospace, the drone-maker acquired last year by Google to help realize the project, recently applied for and received two licenses from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission to run tests over the next six months.

The licenses, which are valid from March 8 until September 5, don't give away much because Google has asked the FCC to keep many of the details confidential for commercial reasons, but they reveal the tests will take place inside a 1,345 square kilometer (520 square mile) area to the east of Albuquerque. The area includes the town of Moriarty, where Titan Aerospace is headquartered and conducts its research and development work.

Source:http://www.computerworld.com/article/2896581/googles-solar-drone-internet-tests-about-to-go-airborne.html]http://www.computerworld.com/article/2896581/googles-solar-drone-internet-tests-about-to-go-airborne.htmlOther Sources:

Click here to view the article

Pretty fly for the Wi-Fi.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Now that's cool as fuck.

Any info on the actual drones though, I mean if they can only stay in the air for 2 hours its pretty useless.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

this is so fucking cool. people ca hire these ones for events. like the super bowl can have a wifi network

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

Have they talked about what sort of speeds that are possible with this? I guess its not phenomenal but good for general browsing I guess. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Why does everything need to be named "Titan" 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

The moment you realise that they only do things like that to gain more customers ^^

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Now that's cool as fuck.

Any info on the actual drones though, I mean if they can only stay in the air for 2 hours its pretty useless.

im sure they will be light weight and run off solar+battery

The word "Titan" is overvalued and overused!  :mellow:

Groomlake Authority

Now that's cool as fuck.

they are solar powered an designed to "never" stop flying

GPU: MSI GTX 770 gaming || CPU: Intel 4670k @ 4.4Ghz || RAM: 4x4GB 1600mhz Corsair vengeance pro || MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming || CPU cooler: Corsair H105 || PSU: Corsair RM650 || SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Crucial M4 128GB || Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 || Monitor: ASUS PA238Q

Are those solar panels on that drone? :o

Are those solar panels on that drone? :o

Yup. Continuous aerial flight, never needing to come down save for repairs or upgrades. 

they are solar powered an designed to "never" stop flying

What if the sun is blocked once theyr flying under night? Sure those panels have to absorb enough energy for at least 24H non-powering environments.

Groomlake Authority

Yup. Continuous aerial flight, never needing to come down save for repairs or upgrades.

Dear Santa..

Dear Santa..

I'm sure the DoD has their own version strapped to the Reapers. 

You know, for delivering freedom in a environmentally safe manner. 

Why does everything need to be named "Titan" 

For when they revolt and enslave the world it still sounds bad ass.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

What if the sun is blocked once theyr flying under night? Sure those panels have to absorb enough energy for at least 24H non-powering environments.

hopefully they dont advertise it as 24 h wifi service then ;) the drones will just circle the earth i suppose unless there is enough battery power in that slim body :) maybe the moon reflect enough to keep them afloat ;)

GPU: MSI GTX 770 gaming || CPU: Intel 4670k @ 4.4Ghz || RAM: 4x4GB 1600mhz Corsair vengeance pro || MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming || CPU cooler: Corsair H105 || PSU: Corsair RM650 || SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Crucial M4 128GB || Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 || Monitor: ASUS PA238Q

Should call'em something like Spy-Fly, NSAir, Wi-spy, or anything that actually represents its objective.

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

NSAir

I like it.

I pretty sure that these drones are designed to fly at speeds where they will perpetually follow the sun light around the earth, always being charged and never needing to land. Think of them of very low orbiting satellites.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

im sure they will be able to fly over the clouds, and have batteries, and im sure the properer could stop and it could glide for a little

Lisa Su: Hello, today I'd like to discuss how AMD is pushing computing, and graphics even further today. When we announced our new Zen and K12 architectures and project Skybridge, we knew we were on the cusp of something BIG! Well, I'm here to announce AMD's new flagship hybrid ARM/x86 chip, the AMD Skybridge Atlas Titan, with up to 8 x86 Zen cores, up 12 ARMv8 k12 cores, and 8 GCN 1.3 compute cores. We'll be shipping this product sometime in the next month I'm proud to say. I think we'll really give the computing world the sort of shake-up it's been yearning for. I hope you enjoy the AMD Atlas Titan.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd