PC vs Console Graphics Comparison - Early 2015 Refresh

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1EgHGpZ

Amazon: http://geni.us/1DYc

The last time we took an in-depth look at the image quality differences between PC and console gaming was in late 2013... Has the gaming landscape changed significantly since then? Are consoles a more compelling alternative to PCs?

https://youtu.be/zk12MkrRu4A

This should be fun

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I do not regret what I did in the video comments.

Good for you.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I do not regret what I did in the video comments.

I can't believe you would do that

Why ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Good for you.

It's not there anymore. What was said?

meanwhile at the nvidia gt210 underclocking station....

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

thx nick ^_^

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

It's not there anymore. What was said?

First smh, he is actually first.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

The quality of the video right now matches up with a console's resolution.

360p

Fujitsu Celsius 380W: i5 650 @ 3.2 Ghz | FUJITSU D2917-A1 | 4GB RAM 1333Mhz | ASUS GTX 750 TI Strix OC Edition | Fujitsu Case | 380W Fujitsu PSU | 250GB HDD | Windows 7 64 bit | Dell P2214H

Rekty Shrekty 

@nickmlg where are the files ????

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Good video and a really good script.  You guys resisted the urge to be biased (for good reason) which I can appreciate.  

@Slick I don't know what other games you really could have tested.  There aren't many cross platform high quality games out there and you probs touched on the most decent ones. 

I'm glad you did mention the rumor that pc versions/textures/performance have been nerfed to make the console version look more appealing.  It is a problem, and the fact we are hitting hardware limits on the consoles so early in the the dev cycle (They are basically x86 APU based PCs at the end of the day) means we may have the same problem as last console generation where the quality of popular cross platform games were limited to console, and held back development on pc.  

Kinda worried what the state of gaming on pc will be in the future.  

You forgot one of the PC's selling points, the prices of games.

Ooh, Steam as a service is actually a great pro.  All games transfer across upgrades to machines, great sales, and a huge collection of the indie scene as well. 

But playing devil's advocate, PS+'s free games of the month and Xbox's more recent games with gold are also great services.  I still have a ps3 (with PS+) and the number of games i get each month is astounding. 

No 360p? :P

This video looks less than 30 fps. Or is it only me?

GTA V once it is released.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Ooh, Steam as a service is actually a great pro.  All games transfer across upgrades to machines, great sales, and a huge collection of the indie scene as well. 

But playing devil's advocate, PS+'s free games of the month and Xbox's more recent games with gold are also great services.  I still have a ps3 (with PS+) and the number of games i get each month is astounding. 

Yea but with PS+ you don't keep the games you are simply renting them for 50$ a year.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

You listed no video settings as a con for the consoles, but I actually prefer it that way. I don't want to spend forever tinkering in the settings, I just want to play the game. That's why GeForce Experience has been awesome. Consoles don't need settings changed because every game is "optimized" out of the box (developer's discretion, of course).

Besides that, I'm actually impressed with how well you tamed your bias in this video. To me, it ultimately comes down to the games you want to play. My Xbox doesn't get Team Fortress 2 (as we know it today) or iRacing or moddable Skyrim, but my PC doesn't get Forza or Halo or Madden.

Luke, Linus, I'd suggest comparing GTA5 for PC against PS4 and XBone once it's fracking released.

GTA 5 will probably be moddable. There's no comparison between the PC and the console version. 

The consoles are playing at 1080p and a crazy rich guy will be playing at 5K or more, with texture pack mods. :P

You listed no video settings as a con for the consoles, but I actually prefer it that way. I don't want to spend forever tinkering in the settings, I just want to play the game. That's why GeForce Experience has been awesome. Consoles don't need settings changed because every game is "optimized" out of the box (developer's discretion, of course).

Besides that, I'm actually impressed with how well you tamed your bias in this video. To me, it ultimately comes down to the games you want to play. My Xbox doesn't get Team Fortress 2 (as we know it today) or iRacing or moddable Skyrim, but my PC doesn't get Forza or Halo or Madden.

yea he did..he complained how funky it would look.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

What build is the high end machine? I think i saw it had a gtx 980 and a i5 4790k but not sure, maybe someone know the full build? 

Well I am more of a PC guy, but I don't hate consoles. Still, I would not recommend console for anyone. In fact few weeks ago I talked my friend down not to buy PS4... :D So now he decided to go with laptop.

Luke pointed out some good pros and cons in the video. Someone may like console pros and also cons more and decide to go with that. But realistically PC is almost always better way to go. Also there is room factor, that game device - console or PC - may take. I know that you can now build insanely small PC-s yourself and it's so cool, but it requires some moderate level of skill and some knowledge and also it has bigger price tag if you let it build by someone else.

In the end it all comes to preference, because if someone is console fanboy then you may argue that PC-s are better but it just won't matter to true fanboy.