PC vs Console Graphics Comparison - Early 2015 Refresh

Honestly i find that it's really difficult to compare PC's to Consoles since their both powerful in their own ways, and are manufactured with separate goals in mind.

To elaborate more the Console is designed to be all about games and multimedia (but mostly games), everything from the interface to the hardware, and even the software designed to run on the machine are heavily optimized for the platform, it's also mass produced making it considerably cheaper. The Console in it's basest form is a toy, in the sense that its designed to entertain its user/s. And you know what, it does a damn fine job of that.

Now i understand that a metric butt-ton of people build PC's solely for the purpose of playing games on them, but that still doesn't get rid of the fact that they can do so much more. So unlike the console which excels at a single task, the PC tries to excel at everything you throw at it (and you defiantly pay extra $$$ for that ability). While that's great it can lead to... well for lack of a better term "hitches", and i'm sure all my fellow PC users know what i'm talking about. Weather these "hitches" are our faults or a problem beyond our control everyone eventually runs into them.

So from a objective standpoint if all you want is a device to play games on then a Console seems like the perfect choice right... well ehhh... no, that's not all there is to it. Meany people consider the process of building a PC a unique experience and enjoy to see the fruits of their labor come together in a useful way. Others want to be on the "cutting edge" of the tech industry. Some simply prefer the one experience over the other, and others consider their rig to be a work of art. And again that all leads back to the $$$ statement where for all that extra functionality, performance and customizability you **Will** have to pay extra.

At the end of the day the question isn't which one is better, it's what do you intend to do with it and what kind of experience do you expect.

Now with all that said i still think Luke did an amazing job on trying to compare the two anyways, given the limitations of what he had to work with.

This is because if you try to compare the Console to PC from a purely graphical standpoint the logical thought process would be "alright we'll throw a few of the same games at both and see which ones look and preform better". Well this causes a few ummm... problems... being (and this being especially true with the new consoles) that with the exception of a few PC specific enhancements like filters (MSAA FXAA TXAA ect.) and things like Physx there inst really much the PC will be able to do in order to make the graphics "better". In order to get a higher graphical fidelity you would have to add more precise lighting, physics, textures, and here's the big one Poly Count per scene** this one is huge because in order to do that you'd basically have to redo the ENTIRE game. At that point it's not even a comparison, because obviously the console won't be able to run the software anymore. This also leads me into the second challenge which is optimization. With the exception of a few products most games designed for the Console **Will** run best on the Console, so when you see the reviews about games being "shitty console ports", well... it's because their right. Those games were never designed or optimized to run on PC's where there's an infinite amount of hardware and software combinations and significantly more "overhead" (background processes). Whereas with Consoles there's really only 2 or 3 combinations, this is also a good example of how the console is monumentally better at effective resource management than the PC. This is especially noticeable with rigs that have 8+ CPU cores, where a lot of games and software still aren't utilizing each thread to the max potential, whereas with a Console i can guarantee you that the entire CPU as well as GPU is always used to its max potential on every demanding game.

Again tho, this just goes to show how incredibly difficult it is to compare two completely different devices. Its like trying to compare apples to oranges, they may both be round fruits but the similarity's end there.

I just wish I could get an updated hockey game for the PC. Damn you EA! I can do without the other console exclusives but why did hockey have to become console exclusive?

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

The video seemed overly focused on remaining "neutral" and the script was particularly uninspired - it only feels disingenuous when you openly share one point of view throughout several videos then try really hard to argument in a way that pretends to put you in a neutral perspective by drawing rather silly arguments, avoiding any critique and not providing data that would potentially kill off some of the contenders...

That's not being devils advocate, that's coming up with arguments on the level of: "well, xbox has access to Microsoft's cloud computing" even though we have not seen a single proof of it actually using it for any game in a year and a half since launch.

Biggest issue? Your previous video that you have linked contains attempts to benchmark all of the systems and draw some actual conclusion based on the results and additional factors like functionality, limitations etc. while this video tries very hard to omit that. Thanks to that it feels rather fake, and say, neutered.

I'm not sure who writes scripts for Luke, but they seem trying too hard to pretend to be unbiased, and riddled with cheap, bad-news-site-fishing-for-clicks sort of way by pretending that it cares more about your take on the situation, rather than feeling strong and skilled enough to draw their own. In fact, it feels like Luke videos are trying to remain as non-Linus as possible, without offering any sense of style instead,which makes them... well, boring. You are not providing any data allowing me to form my own opinion (and sometimes it's not really possible) but refuse to provide your own...

I don't know if anyone's said this already, but I think that The Witcher 3 would be GREAT comparison between PC, XBOne, and PS4.

ConsTR(4)uct:

• CPU
    Threadripper 1900X @ 4.0GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus PRIME X399-A
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite @ 3466MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming-X 11G
  • Case
    SilverStone Fortress FT02
  • Storage
    1TB Samsung 960 EVO + 500GB WD Blue SSD + 2x 4TB WD Red (RAID1) + 3TB HGST Deskstar NAS
  • PSU
    Corsair AX760i
  • Display(s)
    2x Acer Predator XB271HK
  • Cooling
    BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro TR4
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G710+
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
    Propellerhead Balance + Bose Companion II + AKG K7XX
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

First of i don't like the new gen consoles, I liked the ps3 as it offered a bunch more compared to the price of a similar pc. Also as a hardware geek I feel sad for them not even managing 1080p at 60fps on all games, that should be the standard for a "new gen" console as pc is starting to push in on 4k gaming. Also I have buildt a couple of thrift based pcs and they have managed most games at 1080p 60fps on high, this is triple a games, but only like 2x aa. But still being cheaper than ps4 by 50-90 usd...

But for this kinda testing I would like to se some games like bf4, cod, max payne, dying light and other titles the cross all three platforms. And crank the on absolutely max on high end pc.

Where can I find the specs of the Prometheus build?

.... i want Lukes shirt.

:P

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

I like to say that I don't like bagging out consoles, but I really do  ;)

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Where are the raw video files that he said we could download to view in their true glory?

I was wondering about the raw videos too.

I'll be interested to see more in depth gaming comparisons for GTAV PC. GTA4 was horrible on PC, even on my high end computer at the time. I gave up on it and finished the game on console. All these years on and I never did get around to finishing even the first mission in GTA4 PC.
*Is remembering the days of top view sprites and when GTA dominated PC*

think i would really like to see Witcher 3 comparisons between the consoles and PC's, see if you could also reduce the resolution on the PC so you can compare the FPS difference between the competition as well.   

Just a thought?

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

• 1 month later...

Am I missing something or LMG totally forgot to put the RAW comparison videos for this?

• 2 months later...

Can you do a video on why Nintendo sucks at online next? If we're going to cover boring topics we might as well go all out.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

explain "suck" ?

Because i cant thing of anything bad about Nintendo and The word "online"

I'm not derailing this thread. The point was that the console vs pc bullshit is pointless and making an entire video over it in 2015 is tantamount to clickbait. 

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

@nicklmg

Please ANY UPDATES about the RAW footage ???

It's been nearly 4 months.....