PC vs Console Graphics Comparison - Early 2015 Refresh

60FPS!

IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING

Fujitsu Celsius 380W: i5 650 @ 3.2 Ghz | FUJITSU D2917-A1 | 4GB RAM 1333Mhz | ASUS GTX 750 TI Strix OC Edition | Fujitsu Case | 380W Fujitsu PSU | 250GB HDD | Windows 7 64 bit | Dell P2214H

Rekty Shrekty 

Good video, however I was not able to find link to the pictures in description or in this thread.

I know the you tube footage isn't great but it's making me very conscious of what I take fro granted.

Both the low end pc's & The consoles looked horrible playing shadow of mordor.

Poor textures & rather glitchy

Workstation:
Intel Core i7 5820k @ 4.4Ghz, Asus Rampage V Extreme, 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400 DDR4,2 x Nvidia 980 Gtx Reference Cards in Sli,
1TB - 4 x 250Gb Samsung Evo 840 Raid 0, Corsair AX1200i, Lian Li PC-D600 Silver.

that Prometheus machine still rock (Athlon x4 860k + R9 280) vs the king (PS4)  :ph34r:

https://youtu.be/zk12MkrRu4A?t=1m6s(1:06)

I think that the video from the console looks stuttering compared to the smooth pc..

And in no way I'm biased into PC, I'm in both sides with high end PC, PS4 and a 360

That "High end" PC is looking more like a "High waste of money". By going 8gbs of RAM and a 970 as your GPU choice, you guys could have a PC that's just as strong, but for MUCH cheaper. Not to mention the change of CPU from the i7 to the i5.

A TRUE high end would be SLI 970 or 980. Single 980 is just stupid, and shouldn't exist.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

The problem with game to game comparison between console and PC is that pretty much every game available on both are designed for the console 1st, and ported (usually badly) to the PC after.

High res textures, and advanced graphics settings like AO, proper AA (not FXAA), Tessellation, etc, are usually (not always) unavailable on the PC versions, which reduce the maximum visual fidelity available. Not to mention the general performance of said ports is usually less than what could be achieved if it was designed for the PC 1st.

IMO the cost tiers for PC is something like this.

~ = Around

~£/$400 - Minimum Specs - Console Level

~£/$600 - Entry level PC Gaming

~£/$1000 - PC Gaming Level

~£/$1500 - High End PC Gaming

£/$2000+ - Enthusiast level.

The idea being that at said budgets it should be relatively easy to build a rig at that select performance level, with the exception of the 1st tier.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Did anyone else notice the sections where Luke was talking at a CINEMATIC fps? ;)

The contrast between the low end and high-end PC is too big, tested games are not a good choice for graphical comparisson since they're console ports and you can easily fit a high-end PC into a box the size of a next-gen console (yes you said "not necessarily", but still).

Bit of a strawman Slick, and this will only make the fanboyism worse. This is pretty annoying and really should get revised to something more constructive.

The script in this video seemed to be very unstructured, and pros being cons and pros and cons are more than a bit confusing and difficult to follow. The total lack of any on-screen graphics to help keep track of everything doesn't help. Overall, this video seemed to be made with a lot less care than other videos. Considering how good you all can be at your best, this is disappointing. 

With that said, I think the general message is good, but was delivered terribly. 

Well I am more of a PC guy, but I don't hate consoles. Still, I would not recommend console for anyone. In fact few weeks ago I talked my friend down not to buy PS4... :DSo now he decided to go with laptop.

That is even worsen than a console in terms of performance/price. Why did you not help him get a desktop instead? If all he wanted was a game-box under his TV, why go with a laptop?

That "High end" PC is looking more like a "High waste of money". By going 8gbs of RAM and a 970 as your GPU choice, you guys could have a PC that's just as strong, but for MUCH cheaper. Not to mention the change of CPU from the i7 to the i5. [...]

While I absolutely agree on the "downgrade" form i7 to i5 as a more sensible build, I don't agree that a single 980 shouldn't exist. It is the most powerful single-gpu one can buy right now. It's a top-end product (not really, but besides the point) alongside the 780ti, R9 290X, 680 and 7970. This class of product isn't intended to deliver a killer price/performance ratio, but the ultimate single-gpu experience. And they do. And because of the way die-harvesting works, the "full" chips should cost more than a cut-down one. 

A TRUE high end would be SLI 970 or 980.

*cough* A dual-gpu solution is never better than a single, more powerful gpu. At best is't equal, never more. There is micro-stutter, bad to non-existing support for anything except AAA titles and top-selling indies. While it continues to improve year after year, it's still far from a viable option to anyone that doesn't want to tinker around with drivers, settings and more. 

If you want to get the highest scores in benchmarks, more of everything is always better. For most real-world usage right now, one gpu is best. 

EDIT:

The contrast between the low end and high-end PC is too big, tested games are not a good choice for graphical comparisson since they're console ports and you can easily fit a high-end PC into a box the size of a next-gen console (yes you said "not necessarily", but still).

Bit of a strawman Slick, sorry.

While one can absolutely build a PC into a box roughly the size of a console (hi, xbone) it's not something I would recommend to someone building their first PC. If a more experienced builder can help they first-timer though, even that is more than doable.

The bottom line is no matter what you have to game on enjoy it.  I can honestly say I have enjoyed gaming on both console and pc but in regards to these so called next gen consoles I will not shell out money for systems that can hardly game at 1080p or don't do it all the time.  I also have to pay a much larger cost for new and used games for these.  Sorry but pc and old consoles are what I am about.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Something like this would be more suited as a comparisson.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($127.77 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI H81I Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($66.99 @ Mwave) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($67.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($215.91 @ Newegg) 
Case: Silverstone ML07B HTPC Case  ($68.99 @ Directron) 
Power Supply: Silverstone 300W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply  ($47.62 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $804.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-13 08:46 EDT-0400

Maybe an i5-4440 but with a 960 that really wouldn't matter much. Case is pretty much the same size as a console I rekon.

guys guys guys and gals i think you're missing the biggest point here. you can get a gaming pc for 400$ correct? and it runs the games. as well as the consoles. but you forget.....ITS A COMPUTER. it doesnt JUST play games. thus its worth its value in more then doller and gaming capability. consoles can.......watch tv i guess idunno. it can do netflix.......oh wait so can my pc...UHHHHH. i got nothin.

"1 shot 1 kill. or in my case 500 shots and a questionable death" ~ Carlos Hathcock + Ryouichi

"Because its windows... it just happens..." ~ G33k 4 L1F3

My Build....sorta. close enough http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YMG4mG

Awesome video, i still think that pc is on another level, the possibilities are unlimited!

That is even worsen than a console in terms of performance/price. Why did you not help him get a desktop instead? If all he wanted was a game-box under his TV, why go with a laptop?

Well it is not quite decided yet. Main reason why he wants a laptop is so he can carry it and he does not have so much money cos he is young. There are some other reasons too, so it maybe wasn't the greatest example by me...

But still, I tried to make a point that PC is usually better. And I did mention room factor. In that perspective laptop is better than console every way cos it has its own screen, speakers and also keyboard for full control and it usually is quite small. He really would want a desktop PC, but he just don't have the room or money. He mostly plays casual games and needs it for school.

Altho yea, you are absolutely right about desktop being better than laptop. But that's again completely different discussion :)

Also I remembered one con that isn't mentioned for PC - you also need to buy a mouse, keyboard, speakers and monitor. That adds money even if your PC is only 400$. But on the other hand you need a monitor or TV for console. Just thought I will bring it up.

Just because you're not boring, emotionless and devoid of personality doesn't mean you're not 'professional streamers'. Pisses me off that people don't think folks are 'professional' because they lead with personality.

Anyway. don't care about consoles, am looking forward to nVidia's GRID or whoever ends up with the decent cloud render platform. I've really not been gaming lately and therefore don't wanna throw down £20+ for every game I might enjoy for a few hours with mates as they change their game fixation all the time. Lemme just pay £5-10 a month and play whatever game, whenever so I can stop upgrading GPU every few years and just sticking with having beast interwebz.

E2A: Streaming will also free our desktops from M$. Far easier to write a streaming client for *nix/*BSD than port all those DX engines to OpenGL (with any limitations that may apply).

Once I can play all of my games on *nix, I'll bother to figure out the fan control applications and VPN issue that are also keeping me from the switch.

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

I would have liked to see charts comparing the framerates of each option at the end, especially comparing the console to the cheap PCs for each game.

#luke_lafr LOVE YOU'R VIDEOS where can i find that Pokemon T-Shirt (squirtle surf )

Just a comment on the video itself:

There was a lot of background audio from the clips that you were showing from the scrapyard wars showdown and the clips of the WAN Show for the XSplit ad spot. Not exactly a problem, but it was definitely an annoyance/distraction for me, and something that I would have expected to see taken out in video editing instead of just making it quieter and leaving it in the final cut.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

You don't need $1,500 to built a high machine. I made my custom built computer for $1,130. Well under $1,500 and I built the same computer again for my dad for $988 give or take a few dollars. As new computer parts come out, the price of older ones go down. Also it depends on where you go to get the parts. I buy all my parts from TigerDirect and sometimes Newegg because their always having a sale on something I need or want. So you have to figure that into your plan when you go to build a Windows Computer. Consoles haven't fallen out of style, but they could never compete with the power and performance of a custom built or sometimes a pre-built. Although I would NEVER buy a pre-built because they all low end stuff that you can't really do much with because of how companies kinda lock you into their configuration. Sometimes, but not always anyway.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU