The FCC has just released the rules it intends to use to protect the new Open Internet, in the form of a long document. Screw how long the document is

Original Article: http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/12/fcc-open-internet-order-net-neutrality/

wheeler.jpg

A few weeks ago, The FCC voted to grant Net Neutrality, but their wording seemed a little confusing for some, until now.

The FCC has just released a 400 page document outlining the rule sit intends to use to protect the new Open Internet, for Net Neutrality.

But until now the public hasn't had the chance to pore over exactly what the FCC spent so much time deliberating on. The FCC has just released the full text of its Open Internet Order, which lays out its contentious vision for how the internet should be managed, along with each commissioner's affirming statement or dissent on the issue.

If you have got some spare time, you can read the whole document here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/258496522/FCC-Open-Internet-Order-February-2015

My Thoughts?

Its about time. I'm not American, but I can vaguely understand the idea behind Net Neutrality. Some of their wording during the verdict, did seem a bit ambiguous. Well now that has been cleared up, it should help alot of people, including me. When I have some spare time, I might read this a bit to get some more in-depth information.

Your thoughts? Please leave them down below.

EDIT: You know that whole thing about the document being around 400 pages? Turns out Engadget was lying. Its more like 600.

I quote Engadget as saying:

The whole shebang weighs in at about 400 pages

EDIT 2: Screw the length of the document. I think we can all agree on that is a bloody long document, lol

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

This is so great I was terrified of loosing the neutrality 

Somebody please go read that.

GG, just before the closing of the curtain, Wheeler did something beneficial to mankind; what a twist!

Dont hate, he talks a big game, but almost never backs up his words.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

If someone wants to read all 400 pages and give me tldr that would be great!  Other than that, thoughts on net neutrality as a whole is:

In this day in age there is no reason why we can't get 100+ Mb/s speeds anywhere in the country save a few extremely remote places.  With internet companies making (what was it like 90%) profit margins, its a surprise that it hasn't been looked into more.  How would you feel if gas(petrol) companies made a 90% profit margin?  People would demand lower prices.  The unfortunate part is the internet for the most part is still a relatively new technology to a lot of people, so they don't know what to expect, or what they should be entitled to.  The biggest thing is if we can get more people educated about the topic and bring ISPs grasp on people who unknowingly pay for service that isn't even worth half the price.  

Incoming crying by all those against this once they realize that 400 page document isn't the work of Satan.

When have they ever let facts get in their way?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I love how 80 pages alone are the Republican's dissenting statements. By comparison all 3 of the other commissioners only used 5 pages combined to write their statements.

Edit: Which by the way, the reason we didn't get to see the Order beforehand is because the Replublican's were intentionally delaying the submission of their statements for as long as they possibly could.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I'll check back in a few hours ;)

I have Word on the side for a tl;dr, going to go through and make notes, then run through again and condense it. Should have it up in a thoughts post in maybe 6-8 hours.

I would certainly appreciate that :)

Seems for every four pages I have one of important notes and points. I hope I can pare this down a bit. :D

Why in the fuck does it take 400 pages to say:

"ISP's can no longer throttle traffic for services that compete with other services"

"ISP's can no longer make agreements not to compete with other ISP's"

"ISP's can no longer prevent municipalities from developing their own services".

Why the fuck does it take 400 pages?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

"ISP's can no longer throttle traffic for services that compete with other services"

"ISP's can no longer prevent municipalities from developing their own services".

Read it, you'll see why.

In law you have to pretty much lay out every single claim and reason behind the rules, cite sources (which are a massive part of this document, up to half of a page being citations), and then wording the rules in such a way that they're clear (if you know what they mean) that they do not contain loopholes.

Read it, you'll see why.

In law you have to pretty much lay out every single claim and reason behind the rules, cite sources (which are a massive part of this document, up to half of a page being citations, and then wording the rules in such a way that they're clear (if you know what they mean) that they do not contain loopholes.

Seems fairly overcomplicated to me. Easier to avoid loop holes by just stating what I stated above. Plus whatever else they want to do with title 2, rather than saying 1 rule over 5 pages via ridiculous lawyer speak.

Seems fairly overcomplicated to me. Easier to avoid loop holes by just stating what I stated above. Plus whatever else they want to do with title 2, rather than saying 1 rule over 5 pages via ridiculous lawyer speak.

Does not work like that and you know it.

Does not work like that and you know it.

I'm saying that it should. Part of the reason that government runs out of control like it has, is that 90% of the general population can't be bothered to decipher 400 pages of lawyer speak.

Government can do anything they want, all they have to do is bury it under enough paperwork.

80 pages is nothing but the 2 Republicans stating why they think its horrible.

5 pages is the 3 Democrats stating their opinions on it.

A huge portion of the document is citations and references. (Literally, there are some pages that are almost nothing but citations)

Quite a few pages also includes reasoning and justification, etc.

There are also pages that go over Internet related history to support its actions, basically the reasoning and justification.

Its also a legal document so they have to go over every single little detail with a magnifying glass.

This screenshot shows actual document text next to the citations. There are many pages like this.

post-385-0-23608400-1426174606_thumb.png

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I'm saying that it should. Part of the reason that government runs out of control like it has, is that 90% of the general population can't be bothered to decipher 400 pages of lawyer speak.

Government can do anything they want, all they have to do is bury it under enough paperwork.

Lawyer speak runs the country, law has to be detailed and precise. There are many that will try to take advantage of poorly worded regulations.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

To be honest I'm going to go with the it's not my problem you don't understand because it takes 5 minutes at most to decipher one of the harder legalese sentences and if you don't want to go through that trouble to know what you're yelling for then that's your fault. It's simple enough to understand.

Also, the way the government buries things with paperwork is not by the amount of it, but by the lack of work to progress through the stack. ;)

Lawyer speak runs the country, law has to be detailed precise. There are many that will try to take advantage of poorly worded regulations.

You can't do this. Well you never said I couldn't do this now did you?

To be honest I'm going to go with the it's not my problem you don't understand because it takes 5 minutes at most to decipher one of the harder legalese sentences and if you don't want to go through that trouble to know what you're yelling for then that's your fault. It's simple enough to understand.

Also, the way the government buries things with paperwork is not by the amount of it, but by the lack of work to progress through the stack. ;)

Oh I have no trouble deciphering it, I'm talking about the morons who drag their jaws through the streets like common simians, and I say that for either side of the political divide.

I just think they could clean the language of things up a bit.

Never mind that things should never have gotten to this point in the first place, if congress were doing its job and putting these big ISP's through the ringer with anti trust investigations.

You can't do this. Well you never said I couldn't do this now did you?

Objection! In article 4 section 12 of the regulation it clearly states "No persons on the premises under any circumstances are allowed to carry out such actions at any time without legal verification and local law enforcement supervision." Therefore you are bringing up a invalid statement!

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Objection! In article 4 section 12 of the regulation it clearly states "No persons on the premises under any circumstances are allowed to carry out such actions at any time without legal verification and local law enforcement supervision." Therefore you are bringing up a invalid statement!

^this kind of shit is what is wrong with our legal system.