Star Citizen client to be around 100GB

BonSie

Well heres me being happy that data caps in germany are a non thing outside the mobile market.

Wasn't everyone freaking out about Titan Fall being 50 GB?

Let's see how people react to Star Citizen being 100 GB...

Yes but Titanfall had 35GB of uncompressed audio so weaker computers could still keep up.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

100 GB if this ever comes to market .....

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

At £43ish quid for a 120GB SSD I might as well just give SC its own drive. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

no it does not the stick only has 16 GB

Why is the USB only 16GB?

That was what was promised in the initial campaign and made sense at the time. We will look into other options when we begin to design and produce them, however we can’t promise any changes at this point.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14428-Physical-Items-Available-For-A-Limited-Time

I may be optimistic here, but chances for a bigger drive are good, since the promised content (apart from the game itself) is going to be bigger than expected aswell.

Also: Prices for sticks have dropped by about a half (i.e., storage has doubled). I expect them to drop even further until launch, so a 120-ish drive with the full client would be feasible (maybe as a usual "upgrade", which we love and hate them for).

Good thing my copy comes on a USB-Stick ;)

free 128GB connie styled USB sticks for both of us then ;)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14428-Physical-Items-Available-For-A-Limited-Time

I may be optimistic here, but chances for a bigger drive are good, since the promised content (apart from the game itself) is going to be bigger than expected aswell.

Also: Prices for sticks have dropped by about a half (i.e., storage has doubled). I expect them to drop even further until launch, so a 120-ish drive with the full client would be feasible (maybe as a usual "upgrade", which we love and hate them for).

Looking op the prices, a 128gb USB stick ranges from 40 to 100 euros a piece.

Welp

Does Titanfall run on CryEngine and simulate a Galaxy?

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

I don't get the problem. It has been known it will be huge since the start, right? The whole "built to push your computer's limits" and "hi-res textures" made it clear to me. I mean the content and quality you get makes this seem like an incredible trade; 100GB for a great game.

The thing of it is you can get the same quality using fewer resources. The texture resolutions and vertex counts are stupid high for what you get.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

You don't have a clue. 8196p stretched over an entire hull that is 35x10 in-game meters is not as much as you seem to think, and absolutely required given the incredibly detailed geometry in the game, and next to PBR materials any lower would look downright jarring.

But you just want to start shit, don't you.

Which is why you don't stretch one texture over the entire surface and use a combination of seamless tiling/decaling/geometric detailing to achieve the same same visual quality.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

It makes me sad that so many people are so down on this game.

Why do you hate them for trying to push the market in new and fascinating directions? Aren't you tired of the same old crappy MMO's and AAA titles?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

100gb wonded when a game would finally get around to be over 100gb long. Digital download would hate to be someone with a slow internet connection LOL

loadscreen time thing? That never actually bothered me until BF4, it takes longer than balls to load. 

Ikr!? Bf4 is just painfully slow to load...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Titanfall didn't deserve to have large client since it looked like shit and is tiny in scale compared to SC.

Why do you hate them for trying to push the market in new and fascinating directions? Aren't you tired of the same old crappy MMO's and AAA titles?

They are mad because they can't afford PC to max out SC.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

They aren't pushing anything. They're taking the most brute-force approaches and making idiotic decisions in the name of pride. If they used the most efficient solutions and made the game stunning and then pushed up to this size and stressed our tech to its limits, I wouldn't complain.

They are mad because they can't afford PC to max out SC.

See my post above and go get an education in programming. We have PCs which could max it out if it wasn't stupidly implemented.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

They aren't pushing anything. They're taking the most brute-force approaches and making idiotic decisions in the name of pride. If they used the most efficient solutions and made the game stunning and then pushed up to this size and stressed our tech to its limits, I wouldn't complain.

When I say pushing, I'm talking about how expansive the in game universe is, planets you can land on and explore, bars, shops, etc, landing on abandoned or hostile controlled space stations, ship to ship combat and boarding actions, the ability to have a friend jump to your ship and fly it while you get into a fighter and launch from your ship to fight other ships, or for that friend to simply get on one of the turrets on your ship and fire back, etc.

I just like how they are trying to make the game as expansive as possible. They've mentioned that they plan for planetside combat as well.

Edit: Oh, and stuff like, that friend who jumped to your ship to help out, having to get off of the turret and run back to the engineering deck/bay to repair something that got damaged. Just crazy amounts of realism.

So we finally have a game that will beat the tired old gamer benchmark saying of "Will it run Crysis? " Hope everyone is ready for the next decade of "Will it run Star Citizen?"  :P

Storage is not a problem. But my top download speed 50kbps T_T

PC Spec :

Processor : AMD Ryzen 5 3400G  ; Motherboard : MSI B450 A-Pro MAX ; RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX White 2 x 8Gb

GPU : Sapphire RX 5500 XT 8GB Pulse ; PSU : Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W, 80+Gold ; SSD : Samsung 860 EVO 250GB ; HDD 2 x WD Blue 1TB 3.5" ; Toshiba 1TB 2.5"

I personally don't hate it, but I've got over 3.5TB of crap that needs sorting through, and 1 game won't make that happen.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Which is why you don't stretch one texture over the entire surface and use a combination of seamless tiling/decaling/geometric detailing to achieve the same same visual quality.

That wouldn't work the way they are now doing the breaking down of the mesh (procedurally) during destruction and damage of the model. The old system was using way too much system memory.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

They may as well sell SSDs with the game preloaded lol

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

So no one in australia is getting this game lmao.

not all plans are shit.. well yes and no, most unlimited plans tend to have slower speed in my experience, hence the cheap price( optus line ISPs or "third party isp". telstra value speed(sort of hence ther is no unlimited plan) prioritise there customers first hence they get fastest speed possible ). or if you are far from the exchange.

anyway there goes 1/4 of my data cap(as upload dont count towards the cap which is good), which is not really my concern its how long will it take 2.2MB/s to download 100GB -_-

lives on

BAKABT

Well, a regular DVD only holds 4.38GiB (4.7 Metric GB) of data, 10 of those wouldn't hold HALF of SC's size. It'd take 4x single-layer Blu-ray Discs (25GB/disc) 2x dual-layer BD's (50GB/disc), or even a quad-layer BD/BDXL (100-128GB/disc).

well i was thinking writing on both sides , that's why i said 10 . I don't know a single person with blue-ray players

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

I agree. SC would be impressive if it did what it can promise across a lot of hardware configurations. Saying "you need the latest and greatest just to play it" is a fancy way of saying "we aren't optimizing shit, you;ll need 980s to brute force your way through this game"

Now, my rig can handle SC pretty well. But its not some bastion of PC gaming if it requires casual fans (like a few of my friends) to spend at least a grand just to play it. Sorry Robert, your game is fun but it isn't that good. It isn't a household staple. It never will be. 

But hey, don't stop people from whacking off to how "great" this game is. 

^ This, uncompressed .flacs aren't necessary for games... If they were worried, why not high bitrate audio instead...? A lot smaller then a ton of .flacs filled with audio for a game.

*.flacs are compressed

Your thinking of .wav files.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

I agree. SC would be impressive if it did what it can promise across a lot of hardware configurations. Saying "you need the latest and greatest just to play it" is a fancy way of saying "we aren't optimizing shit, you;ll need 980s to brute force your way through this game"

Now, my rig can handle SC pretty well. But its not some bastion of PC gaming if it requires casual fans (like a few of my friends) to spend at least a grand just to play it. Sorry Robert, your game is fun but it isn't that good. It isn't a household staple. It never will be. 

But hey, don't stop people from whacking off to how "great" this game is. 

Can we really, honestly say all of that, without having actually seen the client itself in its full release version?