Star Citizen client to be around 100GB

BonSie

steam does this, console peasant.

Bet you feel tough saying that behind a screen lul

wow, some high end textures to be expected. When a game is 100gb you know its the shit!

@Corwin111 said it best

This is baseless speculation. The patches that we currently get contain no optimizations, compressed texture packs or any size reduction tricks that final releases have. It's a friggin alpha, they don't need to concern themselves with matters of player convenience at this point.

Secondly, it was mentioned in the last AV that the new procedural damage system allows them to need way less textures per ship. They mentioned as an example that the entire hornet texture pack can be reduced from its current 100MB to about 14 because with procedural damage, they don't need to have separate textures for each damage state of each component of each ship.

It will still be huge, of course. But I doubt that it will be 100 gigs.

Its worth pointing out that on broken moon, if you break the game you can fly out of the arena and to the moon which currently has a full res texture rather than a low res texture.

The game is not optimised, even ship parts you can't see have a high res texture. It'll look good but it won't be that size.

to be fair, PCs have been doing this before consoles. Although the "insult" wasn't needed

wow, some high end textures to be expected. When a game is 100gb you know its the shit!

You should watch the 4K Tour of the Retaliator. It is wonderful. :)

steam does this, console peasant.

BRTky.jpg?1321408042

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Annnnd there goes a third of my data cap.

Fan.Tas.Tic.

Everyone was freaking out at Battlefield's size, and Titanfalls.

People are going to have a stroke when they hear this.

That will be 50 times larger thank my cap.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

That will be 50 times larger thank my cap.

Your cap is 2GB?

Your cap is 2GB?

Yeah my router, but not my iPad or iPhone 6 plus.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

You should watch the 4K Tour of the Retaliator. It is wonderful. :)

Hangar floors in Star Citizen are always so susceptible to aliasing, it's terribly distracting and immersion-breaking to see those flashing lines in the background. That too at 4K.

Fantastic detail on the ship though.

Its worth pointing out that on broken moon, if you break the game you can fly out of the arena and to the moon which currently has a full res texture rather than a low res texture.

Wait a minute, you can break out of boundaries? :o

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Wait a minute, you can break out of boundaries? :o

Search leaving broken moon on YouTube

Yeah, behind our 4k screens...  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Haha so my internet is 3mb down and 1 up...

1967586-this_is_how_i_feel_at_work_somet

Well, if we're measuring...   ;)

YrmpZCp.png

Still, I doubt most people's problem with the 100GB rumor is download speed. You will download it once and then get small incremental patches from then on,

What people are worried about is drive space. Especially since many intend to have this on their SSDs.

But as I have said before - it's just an unsubstantiated rumor, extrapolated from the size of the current unoptimized and uncompressed alpha patches that we get. A final release does not look like that.

I think RSI needs to understand a few sad lessons that they can't change. They can make their consumers get better hardware, they can't make consumers get better internet. Thats entirely out the hands of a lot of North Americans especially. 

My current WiFi connection is ~65 down and ~60 up. I am a freak of nature in that regard. While I can stomach a 100GB download, a substantial majority can't. 

If they need to rely on us having such strong and unencumbered connections, they're a little early. It'll be years before we all have Google Fiber levels of access and bandwidth all over the place. 

Bad Internet?  No problem!  Buy the Star Citizen Physical Installation Edition, shipped right to your home on your choice of 128GB USB drive in the style of Chris Roberts shooting you an "Ay!" or a steel-box set of 30 installation DVDs.  Both editions are packed with special features that include hours and hours of tired programmers and artists saying things like "cutting edge" and "rigging" and "best."

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

extremely. what i did not forsee is someone getting their knickers twisted over being (apparently correctly) evaluated as a console peasant.

i'll 1v1 you on xbox call of duty noscopes only and win

So how many people here have tried out the free weekend? Did you like it? If so/not, why?

extremely. what i did not forsee is someone getting their knickers twisted over being (apparently correctly) evaluated as a console peasant.

11514%20-%20animated_gif%20charlton_hest

Ahahaha, this troll is just too much.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Yep that's exactly what happened lul you keep sitting behind your screen saying stuff you would never say irl  ;)

If they are going to ship it to retail, they might as well do so in a HDD  :D

Nah, SSD. But if you did a hard drive for retail, what if the hdd died in shipping. Plus, it would need to be USB

If there is a legit reason for it to be that big(and it sounds like it does) great. If I wanted to put the game on an ssd it I could do it for less the 75USD. On the other hand people that want to play on a laptop will have a bigger problem with the size.