Star Citizen client to be around 100GB

BonSie

Just what I wanted to hear. :D

Wasn't everyone freaking out about Titan Fall being 50 GB?

Let's see how people react to Star Citizen being 100 GB...

Completely different.

Content > paperweight

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I don't actually know, its got no markings on it at all and it was bought by my mum in 1991.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/2818370/#Comment_2818370

Or maybe it's time to lash out on a new one.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Lol titanfall was like 48GB and 35GB of that was fucking uncompressed audio

Star citizen actually has a reason to be that large.

I just kept on digging, and this is what I found.

post-19843-0-88390700-1426141365.png

Content > paperweight

What about bloat vs quality

For all the hate getting thrown around in this thread titanfall was the best multiplayer FPS to come out in some time the movement model is better than 95% of them.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Won't be playing this trainwreck regardless but this is just one more reason not to bother.

F5MjVzl.jpg

Only a matter of time when more games will be 100Gb

Most games are sitting in the 10-20 GB range.  The ones that go over do so because of a shit ton of audio.

This one is so big because the devs are pandering to morons with 8192x8192 textures.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

What about bloat vs quality

For all the hate getting thrown around in this thread titanfall was the best multiplayer FPS to come out in some time the movement model is better than 95% of them.

Obviously quality > bloat, but the size of Star Citizen will not define it as "bloat".

I don't care about Titanfall, or the hate it gets...

Won't be playing this trainwreck regardless but this is just one more reason not to bother.

Most games are sitting in the 10-20 GB range.  The ones that go over do so because of a shit ton of audio.

This one is so big because the devs are pandering to morons with 8192x8192 textures.

Trainwreck? Star Citizen? :o

Whatever, one less dumbbell to worry about encountering in the 'verse.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Yeah yeah I know what you're going to say, but no 6mbit is not enough speed. It used to be pretty good in '05 but it's 10 years later now and stuff has to be distributed though the Internet rather than dvds. So now that's been established.

Wow 100geebees? That'll only take a week to download...

I get it though, lots of high res textures.

They're using google servers so they should be stable even under heavy load.

Source?

AWS, I'd get. But google?

I have not yet tried SC but I would assume this game may be one of those that utilizes bit torrent for its releases. Focusing on server access for accounts and control.

I hope so anyways, because 20 DVDs, would suck, and a thumb drive, while cool, is not the best long term storage option.

This is really bad,even if i wont play it its bad,because that means the models/textures and so on are fkin huge and since not many people have 100GB on their SSD you will install on HDD,which will make loading extremely slow,i think they should allow data split,most important game data should be moved to a fast SSD and the rest on HDD,also have constant data streams in the background loading/unloading stuff.

Everyone bitching and complaining must not have been around for when Crysis was released back in 2007.  That game was 12 GB way back when most games were taking up only 2-8 GB of hard drive space, that's 50-500% larger than most AAA games of the day.  The only other game I remember taking up that much space back then was the first Assassin's Creed, released a year later, and it still didn't look as good as Crysis.  Crytek was intentionally pushing textures, models, lighting, absolutely everything.  They basically designed the game for future hardware, hence the popularity of the phrase "Can it run Crysis".  Same exact thing is happening again with Star Citizen.

Besides, I spent $250 backing the game so far, and I'm gonna spend probably $200+ on the Star Citizen HOTAS, I'm going to update my GPU in about 6-10 months going all out probably crossfire 390x's or 395x2 if that's available, I might as well spend $4-500 on a good 400GB SSD.

PC: CPU - FX 8350 @4.5 Ghz | GPU - 3x R9 290 @1100 core/1300 memory | Motherboard - Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM - 16 GB Mushkin Redline 1866 Mhz | PSU - Corsair AX 860w | SSD - ADATA SX900 256 GB | HDD - Seagate 3TB 7200RPM | CPU Cooler - Noctua NH D-14 | Case - Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935

Peripherals: Monitor - ASUS VN248H-P IPS | Keyboard - Corsair K70 | Mouse - Corsair M65 | Headphones - ASUS ROG Orion Pro

I don't get the problem. It has been known it will be huge since the start, right? The whole "built to push your computer's limits" and "hi-res textures" made it clear to me. I mean the content and quality you get makes this seem like an incredible trade; 100GB for a great game.

I guess the physical copies will be distributed in 2-3 DVD's and the rest will have to be downloaded. Maybe do a download-as-you-play-singleplayer thing?

Still, this means that I'll have to get yet another SSD to my system, or replace the 120GB and 512 GB ones for a single 1TB SSD.

And people said I was being ridiculous for going with a 2TB SSD build. :P

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

I haven't even bought my pc parts yet and I allready have to upgrade it :(

There goes half a month of my data cap and most months we allready have A few days of data cap passed :(

Probably because 35GB of it was just audio that's why.

If I'm remembering right it was 35gb of uncompressed audio that people would never use because it was mostly different language audio. I could be wrong though, its been a while since i looked into that.

Ffs that'll take me a full week to download... And I guess I'll need to buy an ssd just for this game....

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Wait people still have Data Caps on Standard Internet connection 0_O? May I ask how much is an average monthly data cap? I am at 30 down /2 up will take about 6 hours IF they give us full download speed because the current one took shy of 18 hours to finish due to shit DL speeds.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

Everyone bitching and complaining must not have been around for when Crysis was released back in 2007.  That game was 12 GB way back when most games were taking up only 2-8 GB of hard drive space

Age of Conan came out in 2008 and was 35GB when extracted, though the download was only 17GB. Oh the salty tears on those forums... A lot of casuals with  unrealistic expectations, given the 1.4 million userbase at launch, had to upgrade a lot of graphics cards, RAM and hard drives.

You don't have a clue. 8196p stretched over an entire hull that is 35x10 in-game meters is not as much as you seem to think, and absolutely required given the incredibly detailed geometry in the game, and next to PBR materials any lower would look downright jarring.

But you just want to start shit, don't you.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Wait people still have Data Caps on Standard Internet connection 0_O? May I ask how much is an average monthly data cap? I am at 30 down /2 up will take about 6 hours IF they give us full download speed because the current one took shy of 18 hours to finish due to shit DL speeds.

its prittty common in the us it seems

i have 15gigs i can use during the day and 15 at night and thats like the worse of the worse

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

its prittty common in the us it seems

i have 15gigs i can use during the day and 15 at night and thats like the worse of the worse

Wow i must burn around 15gigs a day if I account for videos streaming + downloads, that sucks

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

a week of uninterrupted download for me.

Good thing my copy comes on a USB-Stick ;)

no it does not the stick only has 16 GB

more like huge playable area? 

might be to do with this also.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-citizen-s-damage-system-makes-destroying-ship/1100-6425775/

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10.