Star Citizen client to be around 100GB

BonSie

I guess putting it on my ssd was a mistake...

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I'm happy for the hype and the fact you're all really into this game. But the more I hear about this game, it's requirements, subscription fees, and damn huge install size, the less I want this. I'll pass but you guys have fun

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm happy for the hype and the fact you're all really into this game. But the more I hear about this game, it's requirements, subscription fees, and damn huge install size, the less I want this. I'll pass but you guys have fun

I think it's more a result of how expansive the game is meant to be, ship to ship fighting, ship to ship boarding, space station boarding action, mining, trading, landing on planets and checking out the local bar, repair shops, stores etc.

Not to mention the possibilities of:

Ship to planet combat (invasions?)

Player housing

play owned stations/systems etc.

And all rendered beautifully, in 3rd or 1st person.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I only play 2 or 3 at a time and fuck no, im not going back to magnetic platters for gaming. 

You can get a few platters and set them up in RAID10, R/W's scale. Over a tera is possible with enough HDDs lol. Whether that's worth it tho is a question.

edit: nvm was reading on the topic, seems that while it can improve speed, it still can't improve access times.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

I think it's more a result of how expansive the game is meant to be, ship to ship fighting, ship to ship boarding, space station boarding action, mining, trading, landing on planets and checking out the local bar, repair shops, stores etc.

Not to mention the possibilities of:

Ship to planet combat (invasions?)

Player housing

play owned stations/systems etc.

And all rendered beautifully, in 3rd or 1st person.

I know it's very expansive but I just don't feel like upgrading my hardware significantly AND paying a monthly subscription just for one game. I mean who knows, if I end up with a 4770 and a 390 by the time it comes out and that ends up being enough, I might try it but I doubt I will upgrade that much for years.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I know it's very expansive but I just don't feel like upgrading my hardware significantly AND paying a monthly subscription just for one game. I mean who knows, if I end up with a 4770 and a 390 by the time it comes out and that ends up being enough, I might try it but I doubt I will upgrade that much for years.

Wait it has a montly sub? I somehow missed that. How big is it?

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

If this is subscription based, its an EVE clone.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Wasn't everyone freaking out about Titan Fall being 50 GB?

Let's see how people react to Star Citizen being 100 GB...

35GB of that file size was just for audio. They did that on purpose to deter people from stealing the game with their slower internet connections (theory). Star Citizen is massive and I hope it's because the game is so massive it needs 100gb's. 

Same here

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

I am going to buy a 120GB SSD and label it "Star Citizen".

The game better be massive in order to justify that huge number. The patches are going to be as big as AAA games were just a few years ago.

Actually there was already a 19 GB patch.

There is no monthly sub, the guy you quoted is just flat wrong.

No, I've seen some BS in my days, but just no. SC does not actually need to be this enormous! Uncompressed audio, uncompressed textures, very heavy data structure/organization. I showed this to my HPC and Heterogeneous computing professor and he practically had an aneurysm laughing. What a joke... Pushing for awesome is one thing, but elegance is necessary. Lightweight design is necessary!

I don't think you understand the number of vertices on a single ship. In his PAX East presentation Chris Roberts was talking about the reasoning behind going away from the current damage model system. Besides the fact that it wasn't up to his standard for immersion, under the current damage model system, where there were set sub parts and it was set how a ship broke up due to damage, a single seat ship was taking 100-150 MB of system ram. So they went about redesigning it to be more elegant and lightweight while at the same time dynamic like he (and a lot of backers) have been wanting.

They ARE doing lightweight design, its just that big.

Also from nearly the beginning he (Chris Roberts) and crew have been saying 16 GB system ram is going to be the recommended spec.

If this is subscription based, its an EVE clone.

but with first person mode.  And hopefully joystick control.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

but with first person mode.  And hopefully joystick control.

Well it can't be an eve clone as eve is a point and click adventure game with spreadsheets and this is a fully controllable space sim with full support for just about any peripheral (OR, HOTAS, game pad, KBM, TRACKIR, Voice Attack (not sure if that just works if they are actually supporting it in code) etc.)

I don't think you understand the number of vertices on a single ship. In his PAX East presentation Chris Roberts was talking about the reasoning behind going away from the current damage model system. Besides the fact that it wasn't up to his standard for immersion, under the current damage model system, where there were set sub parts and it was set how a ship broke up due to damage, a single seat ship was taking 100-150 MB of system ram. So they went about redesigning it to be more elegant and lightweight while at the same time dynamic like he (and a lot of backers) have been wanting.

Also from nearly the beginning he (Chris Roberts) and crew have been saying 16 GB system ram is going to be the recommended spec.

Pushing the boundaries and raising the bar, I like it.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I'm fine with that.

But if we gave this to a studio with recent experience I'm sure they could do a better job reducing the data amount with no to minimal loss in audio, visual and simulation quality.

On the other hand, no experienced studio wanted to make a game like this. And so it shall be 100GB.

with full support for just about any peripheral (OR, HOTAS, game pad, KBM, TRACKIR, Voice Attack (not sure if that just works if they are actually supporting it in code) etc.)

I have to admit, my man part just twitched.   The only thing I hated about freelancer was the lack of joystick control.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yes, I know how many there are. In fact 30% of them aren't necessary at any given time. In fact you're better off not having a high vertex count until you detect a collision and want to generate a break in the material.

I might be a bit conceited, but the truth is they can build lighter than this. When you do multi-hour physics simulations involving fluid flow and solid deformations, you pick up a few tricks. SC could be cut down to 80 gigs easily by compromising on a few things absolutely no one could notice under normal gameplay conditions. You'd have to hunt for them and even then you might not notice if the implementation is clever enough. Roberts, for all his fame, is not that good a programmer. Just as with the NP-Complete problems, there may be no efficient way to get the 100% correct answer, but if I can get 99% correct in 2 seconds and it takes you an hour to be totally correct, who cares about the last 1%?

Approximation algorithms are used all over the place from efficiently packing boxes into trucks set to go to warehouses to getting the shortest tour to a bunch of different cities. They don't get the perfectly optimal/correct answer, but with a few clever tricks they get close enough where it costs more time and money to compute the perfect answer than it does to simply eat the inefficiency in the noise of everything else that can go wrong. The same holds true for gaming, which is why there is still no efficient GPU implementation of ray-tracing. It's a problem which requires branching, something GPUs will suck at until such a time GPUs move closer to being Xeon Phi-like cards. There are more efficient approximations of what they want to do with such a minuscule difference in quality as to be imperceptible in the midst of experiencing the game as a whole.

Maybe it is snobbish, but games will advance when the amateurs get out of the business. From what I've seen and played of Starcraft, I'm not impressed.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I have to admit, my man part just twitched.   The only thing I hated about freelancer was the lack of joystick control.

If it supports joysticks AND Windows XP I will be happy. I've got some awesome gameport controllers that only work under XP, and my USB joystick has no where near the same amount of functionality (its still good for flying jets in BF though).

PMSL

If it supports joysticks AND Windows XP I will be happy. I've got some awesome gameport controllers that only work under XP, and my USB joystick has no where near the same amount of functionality (its still good for flying jets in BF though).

can you get a gameport emulator? I believe you can get usb to midi (which uses the gameport).

EDIT: like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Gameport-Adapter-Joysticks-Controllers-Gamepads/dp/B0024ZWL4M

now all you need is the software to control it in 7 or 8 or 10 or linux or whatever OS you want.

Well, I definitely have enough room for it and fast enough Internet to download it in a timely manner, but most don't (well, don't have fast internet). It's certainly an issue, but if people really want to play the game, then they wont mind. Something else to keep in mind is that most people have Internet caps.... So glad that I don't.

Anyways, Star Citizen is a very ambitious game, and that humungous universe with all of those high-res textures have to go somewhere... 100GB is a lot, but it's deemable, barely...

COMIC SANS

can you get a gameport emulator? I believe you can get usb to midi (which uses the gameport).

EDIT: like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Gameport-Adapter-Joysticks-Controllers-Gamepads/dp/B0024ZWL4M

now all you need is the software to control it in 7 or 8 or 10 or linux or whatever OS you want.

I tried that, and while my base gamepad (only good for 2D platformers)works, my joysticks don't  :( .

PMSL

I tried that, and while my base gamepad (only good for 2D platformers)works, my joysticks don't  :( .

what model joystick?

what model joystick?

I don't actually know, its got no markings on it at all and it was bought by my mum in 1991.

PMSL