Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

That's just it, I am not dismissing facts and I am allowing people to have their opinions.  which is the point many seem to have missed.  we know what Nvidia did, whether that is bad or not is upto the individual.  You cannot dismiss someone because in their personal opinion and experience they are not upset by what happened.  There are people in this thread literally calling anyone who likes the 970 an idiot, a moron for supporting a disgusting lying company like nvidia.

I think its time that @Blade of Grass or someone do what should've been done, merge this into the other 970 thread and call it a day. Nothing but running around in circles while one person keeps arguing semantics and refuses to be logical and even attempt to understand what everyone else is trying to say. 

I think its time that @Blade of Grass or someone do what should've been done, merge this into the other 970 thread and call it a day. Nothing but running around in circles while one person keeps arguing semantics and refuses to be logical and even attempt to understand what everyone else is trying to say. 

Thank you for bringing this thread to my attention, based off the discussion it has now been merged.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

That's just it, I am not dismissing facts and I am allowing people to have their opinions.  which is the point many seem to have missed.  we know what Nvidia did, whether that is bad or not is upto the individual.  You cannot dismiss someone because in their personal opinion and experience they are not upset by what happened.  There are people in this thread literally calling anyone who likes the 970 an idiot, a moron for supporting a disgusting lying company like nvidia.

There is a two minute difference between my post and your response of "that's your opinion". To me it sounds incredibly dismissive, and I'd have to think that you really didn't bother to read it through and through. Personal tastes are opinions, law is not simply a difference in personal opinion to be thrown into a section of non-debate, it has standards and measures.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I interpret it as "Nvidia should have just kept 3GB of vRAM, just like the 780Ti that it replaces".

I've seen this sentiment expressed in earnest a few times now and it's no less blaffling. The solution to any RAM deficiency is not less RAM! Like holy crap how is that even supposed to help? Besides from removing half a gig of full bandwidth ram you're also taking away a half-gig ram buffer that's four times the speed of dumping to system memory.

I've seen a few people replace their 970s with 780s... like... wut r u doan!?

Nothing but running around in circles while one person keeps arguing semantics and refuses to be logical and even attempt to understand what everyone else is trying to say. 

Distasteful. If you are going to refer to me, you might as well do it by name.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

There is a two minute difference between my post and your response of "that's your opinion". To me it sounds incredibly dismissive, and I'd have to think that you really didn't bother to read it through and through. Personal tastes are opinions, law is not simply a difference in personal opinion to be thrown into a section of non-debate, it has standards and measures.

Having a different opinion does not mean I didn't read nor understand your post, it only means I have a different opinion.   And for your information while the law is written, the courts (jury or judge)  decide what that means based on their interpretation (opinion) of said law.  This is why they have Juries and why people can elect to be tried in front of one.

In this case Nvidia are refusing to change anything because to do so would result in people forming the opinion that they are guilty, it does not change what happened in reality and whether or not that indeed is guilt.  And that's the just the way the legal system works.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

-snip-

I don't like the precedent that this sets for the tech industry, legal or market wise. I'll reserve that opinion. I also find many of the arguments defending the events to be inadequate or dumb. I'll hold that opinion as well. 

Having a different opinion does not mean I didn't read nor understand your post, it only means I have a different opinion.   And for your information while the law is written, the courts (jury or judge) their decide what that means based on their interpretation (opinion) of said law.  This is why they have Juries and why people can elect to be tried in front of one.

In this case Nvidia are refusing to change anything because to do so would result in people forming the opinion that they are guilty, it does not change what happened in reality and whether or not that indeed is guilt.  And that's the just the way the legal system works.

He can't even respect that we have a visibly different opinion from him (a opinion just as valid I might add) so what more do you want? He goes on snarky sprees in this thread and others about the injustices that we are supporting (once again, no one here supports what Nvidia did)  and goes around like most children I've seen who have been called out on something and instead of admitting they MIGHT be wrong, go on tangents about how everyone else is wrong and is being "fanboys". 

Im sorry, but I'm calling it like I see it. I know you have a different view on handling these scenarios, but my patience is largely eradicated on this subject because we've hammered home the same points on a daily basis (THE SAME DAMN SHIT SLICK AND LINUS EVEN SAID) yet for some reason, we're in the wrong?? 

Unbelievable. Some people these days. These threads have genuinely caused a lot of drama and injustice and feelings of, as our lord and saviour Linus put best, butthurt. 

Im sorry, but I'm calling it like I see it. I know you have a different view on handling these scenarios, but my patience is largely eradicated on this subject because we've hammered home the same points on a daily basis (THE SAME DAMN SHIT SLICK AND LINUS EVEN SAID) yet for some reason, we're in the wrong?? 

Unbelievable. Some people these days. These threads have genuinely caused a lot of drama and injustice and feelings of, as our lord and saviour Linus put best, butthurt. 

If you take everything slick and linus say as gospel, then there's nothing to be said. I'm sorry, but I'm not religious like that.

If you take everything slick and linus say as gospel, then there's nothing to be said. I'm sorry, but I'm not religious like that.

Did I say I take it as gospel? It was comparing what they said (which is what we've been saying), so why don't you go on a rant against those two as well for their position? Since its the same as ours. 

Stop twisting the arguments around and trying to make them fit your fairy tale narrative of the situation. Grow up. I don't know how people in real life put up your petulance, just know that several here are tired of it but are too polite to openly say it. Though they might, given how you keep missing the point repeatedly. 

I don't like the precedent that this sets for the tech industry, legal or market wise. I'll reserve that opinion. I also find many of the arguments defending the events to be inadequate or dumb. I'll hold that opinion as well. 

I'm afraid the precedent has already been set.  many companies have been in exactly the same position years before Nvidia even became a thing.  Many more will come along doing the same regardless of whether Nvidia is held to account or not. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

@Victorious Secret Don't take what I say literally and then get so angry you feel the need to attack me personally. Arguing that your opinion is more "correct" or the implication thereof because linus and slick said something similar is an appeal to authority, and it's not an argument of a higher opinion nor is it an excuse for you to be derogatory. Hence the "gospel" comment, you actually did say "our lord and savior linus" so it was relevant. The personal attacks are unnecessary. 

He can't even respect that we have a visibly different opinion from him (a opinion just as valid I might add) so what more do you want? He goes on snarky sprees in this thread and others about the injustices that we are supporting (once again, no one here supports what Nvidia did)  and goes around like most children I've seen who have been called out on something and instead of admitting they MIGHT be wrong, go on tangents about how everyone else is wrong and is being "fanboys". 

By buying the card or not returning them you are allowing Nvidia to do whatever they want.  There is no real punishment here for them for being liars and putting out products specs on boxes and info. sheets that were just not true.  They knew what they were doing was wrong and are full of crap with the communication argument they make as an excuse.  You are hurting the consumer and until some of you get it through your thick heads people will be repetitive with their posts.  It has happened with the Evolve situation on Steam.  People get tired of the general population making excuses for every wrong that some person or organization does and is not held accountable properly.  Get it?

.. and Victorious Secret you talk about people going on and on and on.  I have seen you do this on multiple occasions yourself.  Also in my opinion if people start threads and post stuff and it is directed at a particular person that person should have the right to respond.  I have been called a troll before just because I decided to respond to every person that was talking to me in a thread.  That is not trolling.  It is called responding.  If you can do it then let others do it.

As for butt hurt it is stupid term and really if you think people shouldn't be angry or butt hurt as it has been stupidly put over a company telling lies then you are the ones that are lost.  I'd rather be in the smart, intelligent, consumer wise minority than be where you are.

Also anyone buying a new GTX 970 is wrong for doing so.  Encouraging shady business practices and giving liars money is a bad thing to do.  I won't back down on it and I don't think others in this thread will either.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Oh good god are people persistent with this. Instead of arguing with people who can't tell black from grey, I'll just leave this here:

If the issue arises that a Radeon card has a similar "deceitful" error, we tell everybody to calm down, and we get called "AMD fanboys" or "AMD sympathizers" for it (by the same people, no less)...

We will then see who is laughing.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Oh good god are people persistent with this. Instead of arguing with people who can't tell black from grey, I'll just leave this here:

If the issue arises that a Radeon card has a similar "deceitful" error, we tell everybody to calm down, and we get called "AMD fanboys" or "AMD sympathizers" for it (by the same people, no less)...

We will then see who is laughing.

Not an e-peen contest. Don't care who is "laughing in the end" or who "will regret the day" 

I'm glad we continue to talk about how Nvidia lied about the 970, yet everyone was being blown away by it's benchmarks on release for it's price point.

Mate you should check the stream Linus did any a way what 970 supposed to be it is. But they didn't explained the item well to the cons.

Just asking- theoretically can there be a scnenario where having 3GB of full speed VRAM is better than having 4GB of mixed speed VRAM?

Is is possible that the game engine sees the available 4GB of VRAM and tries to use it with negative results?

Asking cause in evolve (cryengine) the 970 is showing a performance drop off when going from 1080p to 2560x1600 losing 47% of it's framerate.

While the 780ti with far less VRAM loses only 35% of framerate.

http://www.techspot.com/review/962-evolve-benchmarks/page4.html

It was recently exposed that the GTX 970's memory configuration has a 3584MB primary partition with a smaller 512MB partition. This significantly reduces performance once more than 3.5GB of VRAM is required and this would typically occur at 4K resolutions but it appeared at 2560x1600 in Evolve, which called for up to 4074MB of VRAM in our testing. That said, the GTX 780 Ti only has a 3GB VRAM buffer yet it was much faster than the GTX 970. We aren't sure why that is. What we can say is that you'll need some serious horsepower at 2560x1600 or higher, and although the GTX 980 and R9 290X can deliver playable performance at 2560x1600, you'll definitely want to double up for 4K.

http://www.techspot.com/review/962-evolve-benchmarks/page6.html

Its still proof that things run like shit when the GTX 970 goes over 3.5GB of vRAM. I actually had windows 7 unusable until I brought the vRAM usage under 3.5GB, and I'm using the classic theme.

I am able to alt tab out to the windows desktop (dwm enabled and everything) with no issues when using 4gb vram on the 970, you can see it here in this video when I alt tab out of shadow of mordor to gpuz at 40 seconds and 1:11: 

Things do not 'run like shit' any time the 970 uses over 3.5gb vram. There are probably some scenarios where it does, but to say that it always does is just hyperbole.

So far I've never run into any scenario where it causes my desktop to lag or even cause any perceived stuttering in games when using over 3.5gb vram, and it takes ridiculous settings to even get it to use that much in the first place.

I am able to alt tab out to the windows desktop (dwm enabled and everything) with no issues when using 4gb vram on the 970, you can see it here in this video when I alt tab out of shadow of mordor to gpuz at 40 seconds and 1:11: 

Things do not 'run like shit' any time the 970 uses over 3.5gb vram. There are probably some scenarios where it does, but to say that it always does is just hyperbole.

So far I've never run into any scenario where it causes my desktop to lag or even cause any perceived stuttering in games when using over 3.5gb vram, and it takes ridiculous settings to even get it to use that much in the first place.

pretty much, a quick search of the web shows that it is really game/system dependent as to what the issues are,  but in nearly all cases the card has to be pushed well to the limits of the GPU before the ram becomes an issue.  It has been confirmed by nearly all the respected reviewers and critics.  This is why it took so long before anyone realised there was a ram issue.   

Hopefully there will be less butt hurt now...

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

I'll have to run tests again once I get my replacement GTX 970, but I know what I saw and on the GTX 970 I had, it was really bad when over 3.5GB.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It appears some readers are pressuring Amazon to get 20% of their GTX970 money back... seems to be working too, well in America at least.

10959523_851789781543771_904955929182412

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker