Short topic. Is this combo compatible?

Budget (including currency): Around the price of the below mentioned parts (around 1500€)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  Gaming mostly, and some general use be it browsing or streaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I'm taking over all of my drives and the PSU is already in my PC that I'm planning to upgrade. I also already bought the GPU.

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core (CPU)

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B760-F GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler

PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

GPU: Asus ProArt OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card

My main concerns are:

PCPartPicker says that there are compatibility issues between the CPU and the motherboard since it doesn't run on the older BIOS but I can't find any other motherboard that doesn't have this compatibility issue warning.

Is the PSU enough to power all of the components or should I upgrade to a 1000W to be safe?

Are there better alternatives CPU and RAM wise I couuld choose?

Is the Noctua NH-D15 enough to cool my i7-14700K CPU? (I'm very firm on the air-cooling and would rather not do water-cooling variants) And if there are better air-cooling options I could choose.

I'll take all the help and recommendations I can get. This is the 2nd PC I am bulding/upgrading.

Thanks in advance

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, fuko_theystolemyname said:

Budget (including currency): Around the price of the below mentioned parts (around 1500€)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  Gaming mostly, and some general use be it browsing or streaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I'm taking over all of my drives and the PSU is already in my PC that I'm planning to upgrade. I also already bought the GPU.

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core (CPU)

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B760-F GAMING WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler

PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

GPU: Asus ProArt OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card

My main concerns are:

PCPartPicker says that there are compatibility issues between the CPU and the motherboard since it doesn't run on the older BIOS but I can't find any other motherboard that doesn't have this compatibility issue warning.

Is the PSU enough to power all of the components or should I upgrade to a 1000W to be safe?

Is the Noctua NH-D15 enough to cool my i7-14700K CPU? (I'm very firm on the air-cooling and would rather not do water-cooling variants) And if there are better air-cooling options I could choose.

I'll take all the help and recommendations I can get. This is the 2nd PC I am bulding/upgrading.

Thanks in advance

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MXqVpB could just switch out the AIO for something like the 

Edited by sweshy

Posted (edited)

I agree with AMD AM5, with 32GB (or 64GB) of 6000CL30 Ram and with the gpu.

But ditch the overkill water cooling and go Air with a thermal assassin.

(About the Intel mobo, you've got a Bios button so you should be alright)

You psu is more than enough for the AMD build.

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

13 minutes ago, fuko_theystolemyname said:

For most use of gaming, AMD Ryzen would be a better fit

But if you insist on Intel, I recommend stepping up your motherboard to Z790 series so that your CPU could be overclocked to at least reach its' fullest potential

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

8 minutes ago, sweshy said:

It's better if you explain why you're recommending certain parts

16 minutes ago, fuko_theystolemyname said:

The motherboard you picked has BIOS flashback, it will allow you to update the BIOS without a compatible CPU installed. If you get the motherboard and it has the BIOS version printed on the box, you can see if it shipped with a suitable version. 

Otherwise, you can get the 13700K instead. Performance will be pretty much identical. You could also save money with the non-K since you opted for the non-Z motherboard and you can't overclock. 

You're only gonna need a continuous feed of about 500 to 600 watts so you're good

Is the Noctua NH-D15 enough to cool my i7-14700K CPU? (I'm very firm on the air-cooling and would rather not do water-cooling variants)

Yes the D15 is a great cooler

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

24 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

It's better if you explain why you're recommending certain parts

The motherboard you picked has BIOS flashback, it will allow you to update the BIOS without a compatible CPU installed. If you get the motherboard and it has the BIOS version printed on the box, you can see if it shipped with a suitable version. 

Otherwise, you can get the 13700K instead. Performance will be pretty much identical. You could also save money with the non-K since you opted for the non-Z motherboard and you can't overclock. 

You're only gonna need a continuous feed of about 500 to 600 watts so you're good

Yes the D15 is a great cooler

Assuming I want to stick with the i7 - 14700K which motherboard would you recommend? (I'm flexible regarding RBG or not.)

Or do I just need to update the BIOS once the motherboard arrives with, assuming it shipped with the wrong version.

And currently the non K i7 14700 is actually more expensive than the K variant since there's a sale going.

1 minute ago, fuko_theystolemyname said:

Or do I just need to update the BIOS once the motherboard arrives with, assuming it shipped with the wrong version.

Basically just this. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Basically just this. 

Alright. Thanks a lot. 

One last thing. Since you said I couldn't overclock since I went for a non Z motherboard I decided to opt for the ASUS TUF Gaming Z790-PLUS (it's only 30€ more expensive and I have the hack of actually working, so that's not an issue).

I might sometime in the future overclock (I think), so I'd rather go for the max compatibility options now when I'm already building it. Just so I don't have to change in the future.

Again, thanks a lot. 👍

44 minutes ago, fuko_theystolemyname said:

Alright. Thanks a lot. 

One last thing. Since you said I couldn't overclock since I went for a non Z motherboard I decided to opt for the ASUS TUF Gaming Z790-PLUS (it's only 30€ more expensive and I have the hack of actually working, so that's not an issue).

I might sometime in the future overclock (I think), so I'd rather go for the max compatibility options now when I'm already building it. Just so I don't have to change in the future.

Again, thanks a lot. 👍

unlike the STRIX B760-F , the TUF doesn't have BIOS flashback. I think Asus almost exclusively bundles that feature with their ROG and Prime series boards.

Primary PC:

So are there no 14th gen chipset motherboards and I have to go for a 13th gen, where I might have to update the BIOS using a specific motherboard line that has the BIOS flashback option?

Seems like a slight gatekeep. Should I go with ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H then? It's got the BIOS Flashback option. 

image.png.18f8f8ad4bea9ca31416de37ac83a3a4.png

2 hours ago, fuko_theystolemyname said:

No. The warning says there is a potential issue not that there is a definitive issue. PCPP will always display a warning if a board did require a BIOS update at one point in time.

Even now, several years after release, it'll warn you if you pick, for example, a Zen 3 CPU and B550 board. Unless that board has been sitting on a shelf for four years, that's a complete non-issue. This warning is just that: a warning about a potential issue. It doesn't mean there will be an issue only that there could be. And if you pick a board that is capable of BIOS flashback, you can upgrade the BIOS even without a compatible CPU installed.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

50 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

No. The warning says there is a potential issue not that there is a definitive issue. PCPP will always display a warning if a board did require a BIOS update at one point in time.

Even now, several years after release, it'll warn you if you pick, for example, a Zen 3 CPU and B550 board. Unless that board has been sitting on a shelf for four years, that's a complete non-issue. This warning is just that: a warning about a potential issue. It doesn't mean there will be an issue only that there could be. And if you pick a board that is capable of BIOS flashback, you can upgrade the BIOS even without a compatible CPU installed.

That means getting a board without the option to do a BIOS flashback is a gamble of sorts and if it has that option it's a non issue. Am I getting it right?

4 minutes ago, fuko_theystolemyname said:

That means getting a board without the option to do a BIOS flashback is a gamble of sorts and if it has that option it's a non issue. Am I getting it right?

It's only really a gamble if you buy a board without that feature and pair it with a CPU that was just released. The longer the CPU has been out already, the less of a gamble it becomes, provided the shop you buy from moves a decent amount of inventory.

The i7-14700K was released almost 8 months ago, so likely any board you buy is compatible out of the box, unless it's been sitting on a shelf for that long. Worst case you could either borrow a compatible CPU from a friend or ask a local PC shop to do the upgrade for you.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply