M.2 ssd buying guide lines

Hotblood

googling for M.2 cards to buy..  the prices vary so much. 1tb range from £50  to £120. (AliExpress $10 - wouldn't trust it!)

then theres the 2tb, 4tb etc..  again prices vary..  how do you know whats a good deal??

will have a Zimacube (kickstarter) arriving at some point .. will need to fill it with drives!

6 minutes ago, Hotblood said:

then theres the 2tb, 4tb etc..  again prices vary..  how do you know whats a good deal??

US? Capacity?

There is the Tier List topic, but it does not cover all options:

I edit my posts more often than not

Don’t get storage devices from aliexpress. Whatever they are.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Look at Newmaxx's spreadsheet on reddit and check that:

- The controller and flash used are comparable to other drives of the same price/class.

and then check that the manufacturer warranty and TBW rating are comparable to other drives of the same price/class.

E.g. if the purpose of the drive is just cheap storage then no DRAM, use of QLC memory and a low TBW rating are probably fine, but the price should reflect this.

If you're buying a boot drive for a higher-end PC, then look for DRAM, TLC memory and a decent TBW rating.

At the lower-end, the discount for a significantly worse drive overall is often very small from a better drive like the SN580.

Also, many drives have variable components and don't specify their controller or memory type in the datasheet (e.g. Kingston NV2), I'm not keen on these unless they're very cheap.

Try to get drives with TLC,  get the model and add "review " and search google for reputable sites that review them ex anandtech, toms hardware (well, reputable is a stretch it kinda went down but they have some authors still doing good reviews) , others

There's techpowerup that has a database of SSD drive specs -  https://www.techpowerup.com/ssd-specs/ - that may be able to tell you about what flash chips are used, endurance (how much you can write on them if it's not said), how much SLC cache it has (most drives keep a fixed amount or a percentage of the remaining free space in SLC mode, in which mode the drivers store data super fast, but once this area is filled write speeds will slow down, so if you often write more than let's say 50-100 GB at a time, you'd want a drive with a large SLC write cache)

DRAM is actually less important than most people think, don't base your decision on presence of dram. It can even be a sign that it's an older ssd drive model that didn't sell well.

Well all I can do is tell you the ssds I've liked and the ones I haven't. Keep in mind what I care about most is sustained performance. I don't care much what the burst speed is if it drops to nothing after 10GB.

Like: Netac nv7000, sn850x, P5 Plus ( I personally find samsung too expensive so I've never bought one)

Dislike: sn570, SP A60, Vulkan Z (Sata), SP A58 (Sata) - actually, this one is OKAY, I use it in my laptop thats for watching youtube, but in my desktop it was a disappointment. Depends what its used for I guess.

My general rule is, buy whatevers on sale that has dram and tlc. Some say drams not as important as it used to be, and maybe thats true, but in my experience, every SSD I've had with dram has impressed me and every ssd I've had without dram was a disappointment.

I know you asked about m.2 but I also want to say, the mx500 is not what it used to be. I had two 1TB mx500s connected by raid0 and it worked so well I decided to buy 2 4TB mx500s and performance has absolutely tanked. I heard they reduced the dram to 512mb for every model, normally for 4TB you'd expect 4GB. Also, I suspect they might also be using qlc because even in raid 0 ( so both drives working in tandem) after the burst period is up, speeds drop down to ~200mb/s. When my old mx500 raid setup would stay above 1GB/s at most times. What a shame.