AMD offering a deal on their cards if you return your 970!

TheMidnightNarwhal

That's pretty shady if you're talking about holding onto your 970 for a few more months and waiting for the R9 300 series. Either you're pissed now and want the return now or you should stick with it, not try to run your own little con.

Point is, never downgrade. And I am pissed - Nvidia lied twice, simple.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

290x's gameplay performance isn't upto the 970 mark 

Depending on the game they trade blows. usually within 5 fps of each other.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Damn....that's good thinking

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

yeah the trade blows up your psu when the 290x consumes a ton of power and internally burns your computer when it runs 

If you're lucky it does that before it punctures your eardrum from the noise.

yeah the trade blows up your psu when the 290x consumes a ton of power and internally burns your computer when it runs 

HUE HUE HUE AMD BURN HOUSE DOWN IS FUNNY CASUE HAWT AND POWER!

Its a silly weak argument, and for the most part untrue at this point. The R9 2xx series with any decent branded cooler runs just as cool as the 7xx series it was built to compete with. Did the reference cooler suck? yes. but those days are long behind us.

Plus only Special use cases I'd say that argument works but unless your building an ultra low noise or mini itx system 95% of any user base doesn't give a damn about power consumption. We can stop pretending people who care about 300+ dollar high end GPUs care about an additional 20 dollars a year in electricity. 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

yes they did make a heater,the covered up part is some "stuff completely unrelated to this" also i like how amd has moved forward with hbm .... and i may get a 380x selling my 970 ... 

Yeah true I'm really excited for HBM. Granted the reference card was an incredibly poorly cooled but 99% of aftermarket cards were great cards like the 290/X Vapor-X from Sapphire rarely reaches 70C and it's a similarly priced card to same tier 970s.

Dreadnaught: Intel Core i7 970 3.2GHz, Silverstone TD-02, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Kingston Fury White 24GB 1866MHz, Crucial BX100 250GB + Seagate 2TB SSHD, AMD Radeon Sapphire R9 390 Nitro, NZXT S340 White, Bitfenix Fury 650W, BenQ XL2730Z.

I like this forum way too much :(

Negative. Not possible.

Dreadnaught: Intel Core i7 970 3.2GHz, Silverstone TD-02, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Kingston Fury White 24GB 1866MHz, Crucial BX100 250GB + Seagate 2TB SSHD, AMD Radeon Sapphire R9 390 Nitro, NZXT S340 White, Bitfenix Fury 650W, BenQ XL2730Z.

also i mentioned you are basically screwed in linux 

Fair enough. Nothing to argue there. though i've heard mixed reviews on that (within the past month Wendal from tech syndicate was complaining about having to switch to an AMD gpu for a linux test beds on one of thar videos) but i have 0 experience of my own so i personally cant even pretend to know whats going on there.

Not defending any company, but have you read what the Titan Z says on the Box? (12 Gb). And in any case If you bought a dual core card and you were expecting the full 8gb/12 gb then bad luck for not doing some research before buying something.

Yes. But the 295x2 is still not a 8GB card

Just checked the post and god, the war is still going! Ha ha ha, time to get popcorn again!

-snip

I've been going with this.

CX1c6Ko.gif

just stumble/drive away.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yes. But the 295x2 is still not a 8GB card

Yea it is, there's 8GB on it that runs at full speed. There's just 4GB in Crossfire. 

Now I'm not saying this is how it should be advertised or anything, but that's just how it is. Misleading? Maybe. False advertising? Not in the slightest. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Yea it is, there's 8GB on it that runs at full speed. There's just 4GB in Crossfire. 

Now I'm not saying this is how it should be advertised or anything, but that's just how it is. Misleading? Maybe. False advertising? Not in the slightest. 

If it is 4 gig in crossfire, they should write that on the box (And NVidia should do that with the Titan Z as well).

Its a silly weak argument, and for the most part untrue at this point. The R9 2xx series with any decent branded cooler runs just as cool as the 7xx series it was built to compete with. Did the reference cooler suck? yes. but those days are long behind us.

Plus only Special use cases I'd say that argument works but unless your building an ultra low noise or mini itx system 95% of any user base doesn't give a damn about power consumption. We can stop pretending people who care about 300+ dollar high end GPUs care about an additional 20 dollars a year in electricity.

Maybe he's concerned because the 290x is no longer a $300+ gpu? ;)

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Why is it when people bring up efficient GPUs, people assume that those people are poor and can't afford an extra 25 dollars a month in electricity? Thats not what the complaint is, at all. 

A inefficient GPU will kick out more heat into the case. Increasing the overall temps, making your fans either ramp up OR run the risk of prolonged higher temps on components that don't need them. This is particularly true for people with ITX/mATX builds that are small, which seems to be a substantial portion of the PC building scene these days. 

Why wouldn't you want a GPU that is not only quieter, but pumps out less heat into your case AND can run off a far smaller PSU? Being efficient in power use is just as valid a performance metric as the number of cores or memory bus or additional features. Why do we encourage those other metrics ramping up yet when someone dares bring up "but is it efficient?" we jump down their throat and tell them to stop worrying about some meaningless statistic. 

Amazing mentality we have there. 

Plus only Special use cases I'd say that argument works but unless your building an ultra low noise or mini itx system 95% of any user base doesn't give a damn about power consumption. We can stop pretending people who care about 300+ dollar high end GPUs care about an additional 20 dollars a year in electricity. 

I couldn't care less for power usage, but for heat, that is a big problem.

Why is it when people bring up efficient GPUs, people assume that those people are poor and can't afford an extra 25 dollars a month in electricity? Thats not what the complaint is, at all. 

A inefficient GPU will kick out more heat into the case. Increasing the overall temps, making your fans either ramp up OR run the risk of prolonged higher temps on components that don't need them. This is particularly true for people with ITX/mATX builds that are small, which seems to be a substantial portion of the PC building scene these days. 

Why wouldn't you want a GPU that is not only quieter, but pumps out less heat into your case AND can run off a far smaller PSU? Being efficient in power use is just as valid a performance metric as the number of cores or memory bus or additional features. Why do we encourage those other metrics ramping up yet when someone dares bring up "but is it efficient?" we jump down their throat and tell them to stop worrying about some meaningless statistic. 

Amazing mentality we have there. 

Exactly. To me what matters about the power thingy is that I can have a less bigger PSU, less heat and less noise.

Has NVIDIA ever fired shots against AMD like this?

Yeah, they launched the 780 Ti after the 290X claimed to be the "Titan Killer"

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Its a silly weak argument, and for the most part untrue at this point. 

The heat part may not be as true as some users exaggerate, I'll admit, but the power consumption is a concern, especially if a user with a 970 SLI is trying to pick up an R9 290X Crossfire with a 600W PSU. Just the AMD cards would consume 600W lol. Unless AMD also offered to replace power supplies for users looking to go from SLI to Crossfire, it isn't a good deal, just a marketing trick and chance to take shots at NVIDIA.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

The heat part may not be as true as some users exaggerate, I'll admit, but the power consumption is a concern, especially if a user with a 970 SLI is trying to pick up an R9 290X Crossfire with a 600W PSU. Just the AMD cards would consume 600W lol.

My 970 setup is running on a 400w power supply until I replace it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

This thread is still going?

The heat part may not be as true as some users exaggerate, I'll admit, but the power consumption is a concern, especially if a user with a 970 SLI is trying to pick up an R9 290X Crossfire with a 600W PSU. Just the AMD cards would consume 600W lol. Unless AMD also offered to replace power supplies for users looking to go from SLI to Crossfire, it isn't a good deal, just a marketing trick and chance to take shots at NVIDIA.

Coming from a 970 then yes, in a crossfire/sli position the 290x would require quite a bit more power, but not much as guru 3d suggests

"GeForce GTX 970 or 980 in 2-way SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have an 700~800 Watt power supply unit as minimum."  

for the 290x using the same testing methodology 

"AMD Radeon R9 290x Crossfire - On your average system the cards require you to have a 800 Watt power supply unit as minimum."

Tweaktown suggested a 750-1000 watt psu for 290x crossfire.

So if you were on the minimum sized PSU that Guru3d would suggest for a 970SLI you would need a new PSU. If you were at the max you should be fine :)

So yes. there is a difference. but not nearly as big ad one would assume. As far as psu size requirements anyways.