AMD offering a deal on their cards if you return your 970!

TheMidnightNarwhal

Inicially i was distraught because nvidia either lied or was incompetent.

I have calmed down from there.

They have apologized , given refunds and are trying to do a driver fix.

I was just answering Victurious secret when he said every company lies.

They're actually not doing any kind of driver fix this week. One of the Nvidia reps on the GeForce forums confirmed that, I don't know why they ever said they had a specific fix for the 970 coming Friday. I have to say I'm leaning more towards keeping my 970 now. Not because of the initial benchmarks that steered me to first purchasing it, but because there have been a few professional benchmarks explicitly targeting that 3.5GB to 4.0GB part of memory these last couple of days showing there is a difference vs the 980, but not the catastrophic performance hit people were reporting. And I trust professional reviewers more than people on message boards. I'm still pissed they lied about the specs and hid such a major detail about their memory system, but I think I will not pursue a refund unless I see some professional reviews corroborating the massive stutter at 3.5GB+ complaint people have been making. I'll still listen to what AMD's offering to switch though, since I do think Nvidia's lying is a valid reason to demand a refund.

Welcome to the world of marketing. 

"Our competition did something really shitty! come buy one of our cards! we didnt do that one thing that they just did!"

I love that when nvidia does shady as shit marketing its "just marketing, settle down" but when AMD plays off a nvidia marketing failure in the name of marketing the forum cries "childish!"

because every one thinks intel and nvidia are leages above AMD in every way shape and form.

it jsut pisses me off..... WHY CANT PEOPLE CALM THE FUCK DOWN. (i say in caps. x'D )

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Got a reply!!!

It's 10% off a $350 290x and a free hat.

That's less than I was expecting. I figured they'd offer some leftover Never Settle codes or something to those who could provide proof they returned a 970 to get an XFX R9 290/290x. Do they want you to order it direct from XFX?

I do admit it is a dirty tactic but at the same time it's a stroke of genius by AMD. I hope both companies learn from this incident and we do not see this kind of marketing crap (or whatever you want to call it) again.

Bring on the R3XX series!!

I would if AMD was buying back my 970 from me for full price lol. Or some kind of trade in.

I'll take a 290 or 290x in trade for my 970, sure.

It would have been funny if they would have had some "The Fixer" episode where he set all those returned 970s on fire.  :lol:

Well. Nobody at Nvidia is going to cry over this. They are companies, not our buddies. Publicly traded companies, no less.

This is a fun move from AMD. I'm intrigued what the deal might be.

I really like AMD marketing too, they make funny videos firing shots at nvidia on their youtube channel too. :D

Curing shitposts by shitposts

I dont know whats worse? AMD trying to get people to trade in a 970 for an outdated card so they can clear old stock or the people who would actually take them up on the offer?

If you did get a refund for a 970 why the hell would you buy a 290x when you could get a 980 or wait to see what the 300 series has to offer?

10% off last gen cards and a hat bahahaha

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I dont know whats worse? AMD trying to get people to trade in a 970 for an outdated card so they can clear old stock or the people who would actually take them up on the offer?If you did get a refund for a 970 why the hell would you buy a 290x when you could get a 980 or wait to see what the 300 series has to offer?10% off last gen cards and a hat bahahaha

The only real reason to return the 970 would be for moral reasons (because nVidia lied) or for special cases where the 4gb of vram is actually needed. Switching to AMD is the only real solution to the first scenario, the 290x is the best solution to the second without spending more money or waiting.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

“If AMD spent as much time working on their drivers and actually making investments in gaming than they did talking about us, then maybe their customers would not be stuck with sub-par gaming experiences in today’s cutting-edge titles." Quote from june 2014. 

damn

I love when companies make fun of each other, if you're going to compete, might as well get in the competitive spirit

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

The only real reason to return the 970 would be for moral reasons (because nVidia lied) or for special cases where the 4gb of vram is actually needed. Switching to AMD is the only real solution to the first scenario, the 290x is the best solution to the second without spending more money.

We dont know if they lied or not though. Where i live accusations have to be proven before they are listed as facts.

I also could care less if they lied or not. I dont own a single product that wasnt sold by lies and brainwashed marketing. Shit, most of our clothes are made with cheap labour in horrible working conditions. What i care about isnif it does what i want it to do. If it doesnt i dont buy it or i shop elsewhere.

I find it amusing that all of a sudden people are on the morals and ethics soapbox over a GPU when their entire lives are spent buying everything they own from lying greedy companies. Look at the GM fiasco!! The product they sold killed people!!! People lost loved ones! Join that crusade? Hell no Nvidia may have lied about my GPU bro!! lmao Humanity lulz

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Anyone here is enjoying the marketing wars? I brought plenty of popcorn!

*Claims that they don't lie about their cards' ram*

*Releases 295x2 with "8GB" of ram as one of it's big features"

*Claims that they don't lie about their cards' ram*

*Releases 295x2 with "8GB" of ram as one of it's big features"

Not defending any company, but have you read what the Titan Z says on the Box? (12 Gb). And in any case If you bought a dual core card and you were expecting the full 8gb/12 gb then bad luck for not doing some research before buying something.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

Not defending any company, but have you read what the Titan Z says on the Box? (12 Gb). And in any case If you bought a dual core card and you were expecting the full 8gb/12 gb then bad luck for doing some research before buying something.

Yes I know the Titan Z also says double what you can actually use, but the point is that AMD aren't the only ones who "lie" about the cards vram. I can garantuee you that most people, even many with a bit of knowledge in graphics cards, would buy those cards and believe them to actually have 8/12 GB's of usable vram.

Yes I know the Titan Z also says double what you can actually use, but the point is that AMD aren't the only ones who "lie" about the cards vram. I can garantuee you that most people, even many with a bit of knowledge in graphics cards, would buy those cards and believe them to actually have 8/12 GB's of usable vram.

I believe the difference in the two situations is that, in the dual core GPU scenario the information is out there you can find it with a bit of research (something that everyone should do before buying anything). Whilst in the second it was purposely hidden, and that's what the uproar is about. Although Nvidia technically is right they do have 4gb ram on that card, its just that the last 512mb are crippled.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

I believe the difference in the two situations is that, in the dual core GPU scenario the information is out there you can find it with a bit of research (something that everyone should do before buying anything). Whilst in the second it was purposely hidden, and that's what the uproar is about. Although Nvidia technically is right they do have 4gb ram on that card, its just that the last 512mb are crippled.

That's what's so ironic. AMD claims that they sell GPU's that actually has 4GB's of VRAM when the GTX 970 actually does have that as well. They sell 295x2 with 8GB's when it's actually only 4 that you can use. I think AMD failed miserably here.

That's what's so ironic. AMD claims that they sell GPU's that actually has 4GB's of VRAM when the GTX 970 actually does have that as well. They sell 295x2 with 8GB's when it's actually only 4 that you can use. I think AMD failed miserably here.

Well I believe its all about precision if you advertise something do it with the right specs, its not that the card is bad, its still pretty good bang for the buck, but as the shitty ports we get the vram crippling is showing right now with stutters, just had a friend of mine to test Dying Light, in 1080p max settings (Gigabyte 970), where the Vram got maxed out at 3.5 he had more stutters than my R9 290 Vapor X. Horrible Port btw still needs fixing from the devs

Ehhh would have liked to see more class from them. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Ehhh would have liked to see more class from them. 

Nah business is a war situation you capitalize on the errors of your opponents especially now since AMD is in such a tight spot at the moment, they grab whatever they can.

Nah business is a war situation you capitalize on the errors of your opponents especially now since AMD is in such a tight spot at the moment, they grab whatever they can.

I see what you mean and that makes sense, but i'm an idealist ;):P

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

GOOD! FUCK EM!

Liars need to be stomped into the fucking ground for lying! Especially if they take my money! Or else they never learn!  

I am still going with the 970 over AMD... Green Team FTW!! :)

I am still going with the 970 over AMD... Green Team FTW!! :)

Read their new stunt, they won't be releasing a driver that will help with the last 500MB of vRAM. (I'd have been happy if it was just reserved for Windows and browsers-excluding plugins of course).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL