AMD offering a deal on their cards if you return your 970!

TheMidnightNarwhal

Yea, and there should be headroom for some big overclocks. Pretty neat-o and kind of negates the cost of the 970 vs. the R9 290X lol.

Thats actually a neat experiment that I wouldn't be against trying. 

My current PSU is 600W and it has the PCIe cables to handle two 8 pin connectors. The ASUS 970 has a single 8 pin connector. 

Hmm...that would be crazy efficiency. 

Yah Guru3D suggests about a 400watt for a single 970

"GeForce GTX 970 or 980 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 400~500 Watt power supply unit."

If we assume the 970 is the low end of the suggested PSUs and the 980 is the highest then i'm assuming they suggest a 400watt for a single 970 and a 500watt for a single 980. Which i wont argue isn't impressive, but SLI and Crossfire have both always done very mean things to efficiency.

Because most power supplies don't have the 12V rail's amps matching the advertised wattage of the unit. So if you have a 400W which only can deliver 250W through the 12V rail, if your system is at full load OCP will kick in or the PSU kaboosh

I ran prime95 first, just to get my PSU efficiency steady, ran at 300W (keep in mind my CPU pulls 160W from the 4+4pin which is like 2 times more than a i5/i7 quad core) and then ran furmark;

Card was only pulling 120W.

Well, I sincerely hope you're being a troll right now for the sake of any humanity that's left in the world.

Are there any benchmarks that confirm a 970's performance being horrible? I just checked a lot of 4K benchmarks, it's always like 10% behind a 980.

I would. They could dump money into ISIS for all I care since their CPUs are so much better than AMD's.

that's just wrong 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

-snip-

Hmm? I'm saying I haven't seen a situation, nor a proof of anyone showing the 970's performing horrible. They all are discussing the 0.5GB, I'm not seeing any proof affecting gaming performance >.>

What if it wasn't a lot of money though? Say they only gave ISIS $1 per CPU sold?

Ok, I think you might want to try different analogies.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

My post had nothing to do with it, yet you asked me about the 970's performance?

The guy you were arguing with was talking about stutter which I thought was refering to the 970. My bad

Ok, I think you might want to try different analogies.

You'd only be giving $1 to a terrorist organization, but $239 to help further CPU improvements in the future. I think it would be a worthy trade-off to do 239 times as much good as bad.

well played AMD! 

both worth watching :P ahah 

Hi!  Please quote me in replies otherwise I may not see your response!

ON TOPIC!

Had anyone done this trade? If you return a 970,will AMD give you a r9 290x5 games at the price of $200? Or how is this thing even work?

The blood on to your heart start pumping faster when you notice me.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

@Glenwing I think this thread needs some TLC, things are slipping once again and I'd rather the thread stay and all the banter go away.

ON TOPIC!

Had anyone done this trade? If you return a 970,will AMD give you a r9 290x5 games at the price of $200? Or how is this thing even work?

They'd have to give a card that was of a similar price to the GTX 970, here in Australia for me that would be $565.

PMSL

They'd have to give a card that was of a similar price to the GTX 970, here in Australia for me that would be $565.

Well that sucks.. Better keep the 970 in that case.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

Well that sucks.. Better keep the 970 in that case.

Yeah, prices here are moved up a tier, a GTX 980 costs the same as a Titan in the US for example.

PMSL

Yeah, prices here are moved up a tier, a GTX 980 costs the same as a Titan in the US for example.

waw... How much does it cost to send a 970 via mail from Europe to AU?

But is ok.

People they are talking about you returning your GTX 970 to the store you bought it from and then getting a deal on a card from AMD.  They are not asking you to give them a more expensive card or anything.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

huh...

killing apparently doesnt mean what i thought it did...

Those benchmarks are sorely outdated and are missing a number of products.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

waw... How much does it cost to send a 970 via mail from Europe to AU?

I've seen anything upwards of $50, with most being over $100, maybe I looked at the wrong sites idk.

PMSL

People they are talking about you returning your GTX 970 to the store you bought it from and then getting a deal on a card from AMD.  They are not asking you to give them a more expensive card or anything.

Even without a deal, I'm able to get an R9 290X for a whole lot less.

Edit: I was wrong, FFFFFF***.

http://www.computeralliance.com.au/parts/video-cards/!amd-r9-series/amd-r9-290x

PMSL

Thats actually a neat experiment that I wouldn't be against trying. 

My current PSU is 600W and it has the PCIe cables to handle two 8 pin connectors. The ASUS 970 has a single 8 pin connector. 

Hmm...that would be crazy efficiency. 

Hmm, check my video somewhere in page 24 orsomething. It's only pulling 120W, the bios itself is (at 100% power target) is locked to 150W and 180W at 121%. A 600W PSU given that you have the right amperages on the 12V is plenty for two 970's, even for two 780's while gaming I never pulled more than 600W.

Nah, I was talking about the 8350.

The 8350 doesn't cause games to stutter >.>