IBM to lay off 110,000 employees by end of February (1/4 of its work force)

ahhming

IBM will lay off 111,800 people next  month, about 26% of its work force of 430,000 .
IBM is set to launch a transformation project – code named “Project Chrome” – to reorganize the company,

If that figure holds true, that would make it far and away the largest corporate layoff event in history, breaking the record previously held by IBM, when it cut 60,000 in 1993.

The problem is a complex mess of bad management – like laying off important people in the middle of a project – to getting sidetracked with pie-in-the-sky ideas like commercializing Watson and failing to adjust to the new era. The "M" in IBM may mean machines, but hardware is less than 10% of its business. Two-thirds is in services, and the services pipeline has dried up.

The layoffs will begin next week and by the end of February, all of the employees will be gone.
This is bad news for those who are affected

Source:
http://www.itworld.com/article/2875112/ibm-is-about-to-get-hit-with-a-massive-reorg-and-layoffs.html

http://www.bidnessetc.com/33231-international-business-machines-corp-ibm-to-layoff-over-100000-employees/

Ah, those poor people. :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Wow, that is a lot of people... :(

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

So is this official from IBM or just a prediction from a silicon valley journalist?

I really hope for the employees sake this isn't going to happen.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This reminds me of Barnacles....(forgot sp)  

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

We all knew this was going to happen eventually.

Sucks though, hopefully it wouldn't be too hard to get a new job...after all you did work at the IBM.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

This reminds me of Barnacles....(forgot sp)  

Barnacules. Barnacles would be the greek version

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Bad management?... How about letting some bad managers go then?

Seriously I hope they fire some of the big hats as well.

So... With IBM having one of the worlds largest patent folders.... What the hell would happen if they sunk?

And people were saying the recent MS layoffs were bad!

Tough times ahead. Hearing this kind of news is never a good thing, especially of this magnitude.

Looking forward to seeing what those 11,000 startups will try to crowdfund.

wow ....

110,000 people layed off in the same time

could this actually cause an effect ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Wow. Having had a close relative go through a layoff at a tech company, it is rough. Wow. Such a huge number of people too. That's mind numbing.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Hehe, I just signed my leaving papers from IBM.

What a luck :P

So... With IBM having one of the worlds largest patent folders.... What the hell would happen if they sunk?

I suspect they'd sell bits and pieces to Samsung, AMD, Nvidia, VIA, Qualcomm, and Samsung to keep competition alive.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Yikes, IBM is my hometown area's largest employer...they have a 300,000+ square foot complex just outside of Boulder I used to drive by everyday on my commute :(

Wow, that's a lot. :/

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

2015 is going to be a rough year for a lot of folks in various industries. My heart goes out to the employees and their families at IBM that get effected. Those getting laid off will probably be the ones who most needed their job.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Those getting laid off will probably be the ones who most needed their job.

That's always the case, unfortunately.

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

@Barnacules needs to grab these people and start his own tech company, with blackjack and hookers.

Maybe some 3d printing stuff? Maybe a giant deathray that only harms asshat executives that lay off tens/hundreds of thousands of people at a time like it's just something to do?

I love it when companies say "we have some problems with bad management, so we fired a bunch of people who aren't in management"

e28.png

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I didn't know you could fire that many people at the same time. Wouldn't that drop the value of their shares?

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I didn't know you could fire that many people at the same time. Wouldn't that drop the value of their shares?

Well, they apparently cut 50,000 jobs in India last year and hardly anyone knew about it.  This still reads like a rumour generated by a jaded ex-employee, esp. considering there has been no other source and IBM have said nothing about it.  However It's not beyond possibility that it will happen.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.