America’s best-selling cars and trucks are built on lies

RazeG3SG1

BMW's did this first. This isn't new. And I'm not really sure why they are picking on the last real hold out of big v8 engines, America.

Don't care. I'll stick with my 90's Mustang until it dies.

But the American motor companies do it more severely than the Europeans and Japanese.

And the company that kicked off the trend of fake engine noise?

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

And the company that kicked off the trend of fake engine noise?

Is American.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Isn't America built on lies?

Joke...

I thought it was built on an Indian burial ground....

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I have been driven around by my uncle in a 2012 Mercedes CLS 500 and I must say the engine despite being a huge 5L V8 does not sound very loud, it sounds like a V8 sure, but it's far from being something I would call an amplified engine sound. Certainly not after having been inside a 2013 Mercedes E-class 320CDI (3.2L I6 diesel) which was completely silent most of the time and you could hear a tiny bit of engine noise that didn't sound great when reving.

I absolutely don't understand, why you would want a more "powerful sound" in your car... Even having a powerful car, if you do not enjoy a track-day every once in a while, it does not make any sense... I have driven a VW Polo, the one with the 1L, 3 cylinder engine, it's brilliant, it masterpiece of a car, it's near silent, it has amazing gas mileage, and you know what you can overtake trucks on roads without problems best part is that it has 60HP, it sure is nothing but why would you need more than that on public roads?

Lamborghini, Ferrari, Mustang, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger, Viper, Corvette, Mercedes AMG, and all the other big engined "sports" cars don't make any sense... Yes they are beautiful, yes they are meant for the people that have too much money (just so they have something to spend their money on), and also yes they are great on a track day, but why do we see so f-ing much of those in the London city center, in Monaco, in Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris where there aren't any advantages to owning such a wide, unpractical and very thirsty cars...

/rant

Sorry even as I enjoy big and powerful cars because... well they exist it still bothers me... AND, I hope someone here agrees with me that we would be better off without these (and the idiotic Dubai people that buy them of course, no offense but really, a Golf course in the middle of the desert... Best f-ing way to preserve the planet)

That French guy who lives in the Netherlands and speaks German.

I'm fine with mechanical enhancement of engine noise, but putting it through speakers seems a bit sad.

Lamborghini, Ferrari, Mustang, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger, Viper, Corvette, Mercedes AMG, and all the other big engined "sports" cars don't make any sense... Yes they are beautiful, yes they are meant for the people that have too much money (just so they have something to spend their money on), and also yes they are great on a track day, but why do we see so f-ing much of those in the London city center, in Monaco, in Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris where there aren't any advantages to owning such a wide, unpractical and very thirsty cars...

I think the real question when you have that much money is "why not?". If you were a multi-millionare what would you spend your money on, a toyota prius or family saloon car?

Can OP put up a poll to see if people actually mind enhanced engine sounds?

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

I have been driven around by my uncle in a 2012 Mercedes CLS 500 and I must say the engine despite being a huge 5L V8 does not sound very loud, it sounds like a V8 sure, but it's far from being something I would call an amplified engine sound. Certainly not after having been inside a 2013 Mercedes E-class 320CDI (3.2L I6 diesel) which was completely silent most of the time and you could hear a tiny bit of engine noise that didn't sound great when reving.

I absolutely don't understand, why you would want a more "powerful sound" in your car... Even having a powerful car, if you do not enjoy a track-day every once in a while, it does not make any sense... I have driven a VW Polo, the one with the 1L, 3 cylinder engine, it's brilliant, it masterpiece of a car, it's near silent, it has amazing gas mileage, and you know what you can overtake trucks on roads without problems best part is that it has 60HP, it sure is nothing but why would you need more than that on public roads?

/rant

Sorry even as I enjoy big and powerful cars because... well they exist it still bothers me... AND, I hope someone here agrees with me that we would be better off without these (and the idiotic Dubai people that buy them of course, no offense but really, a Golf course in the middle of the desert... Best f-ing way to preserve the planet)

Assuming you aren't American.

Well the thing is that America has wide streets to fit these cars and we have some distance between most places. Our cars need to get up to speed quickly on the highways otherwise you might cause an accident (glad that so many people ignore this idea chugging along at the on ramp <_<).

Also, our cars are not as thirsty as you think.

This has been happening for years, take Lamborghini for example wonder why all lambos sound very similar? they all have finely tuned exhausts to get the same noise that is lamborghini famous.

IMHO if the major car manufacturers are building smaller engines out performing the larger engines but more economical who cares?

There's a difference between a tuned exhaust and playing exhaust notes through speakers.

Isn't the F150 the baby pickup? So ford would try and make it out to be something else?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Good riddance, I hate unnecessarily loud engines. Specifically loud motorbike fags (South park reference anyone?), so annoying when you are walking down the street listening to your music then a load rumble (not Linus' cat) just comes out of nowhere even with some noise isolation...

Good riddance, I hate unnecessarily loud engines. Specifically loud motorbike fags (South park reference anyone?), so annoying when you are walking down the street listening to your music then a load rumble (not Linus' cat) just comes out of nowhere even with some noise isolation...

I'm with you.

I have been riding and racing motorcycles for several years, and nothing annoys me more than every single HD rider absolutely needing to put a stupid loud exhaust on their bike.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Why do you think I plan on buying an older car? No chance in hell I'll be getting any vehicle from after 2000.

I want something I can actually fix on my own. Preferably an older muscle car, or a 95 3000gt.

And I like a loud exhaust, although not too loud. Just loud enough to sound good.

Also, this isn't really anything new, ford vehicles are shit anyways.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The next Supra's just gonna loop this while you drive:

Yeah that's what I had. It wasn't exactly true-to-life, made you sound like you were in a game, but meh, it worked.

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

The same thing happens with vacuum cleaners.  They could make vacuums that are just as good and quiet, but people are retarded and don't think they work as well, even when the evidence is as plain as day in front of them.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Assuming you aren't American.

Well the thing is that America has wide streets to fit these cars and we have some distance between most places. Our cars need to get up to speed quickly on the highways otherwise you might cause an accident (glad that so many people ignore this idea chugging along at the on ramp <_<).

Also, our cars are not as thirsty as you think.

You are right I'm not American

Yes, I agree America has bigger streets that allow for these bigger cars to fit on the road, but I still don't see why someone would need a Lamborghini to get up to speed for the highway. I understand you have big distances and so do we in Europe for some places, but the getting up to speed part is not different in Europe. Not to mention that even a VW Golf (Rabbit) with a 4 cyl. 2L turbo engine (~150-160 HP) is pretty fast and has good acceleration, you don't need to make every "on-ramp" a drag strip, you don't need a Nissan GTR or a Bugatti Veyron to get up to speed for the highway.

In Germany, the Autobahns (the highway, where in some places there is no speed limit) the getting up to speed part is indeed critical, and it is also the only public road where getting some speed is possible and legal. Still, after having done about 240km/h (~150mph) with a rental SLK 200k (4 cyl. 2.3L compressor) and having seen how much of a beast this machine was, I don't understand the desire to buy into much bigger much louder/faster cars.

Of course yes there are always people who have a desire for the extreme, hence Koenigsegg and...

this ridiculous Ford F650 mod at SEMA

112_2006_sema_299x%202007_ford_f650_by_D

And having the cars be not so thirsty, well I imagine that between the 1970's and now the fuel economy of V8 has gone up, but that's not that hard x)

Also I imagine that car manufacturer also want to have cars that can be sold (governmental restrictions for fuel economy/ emissions).

Little point about fuel consumption, when I was talking about thirsty cars I was talking about the more extreme ones, like the corvette, the viper, the hellcat, and the european drinkers: lambo, ferrarri, AMG mercs, Porsche and others. Because I don't consider a consumption of more than 8 liters per 100km to be acceptable for a modern car. (8L/100km =~ 30MPG, so less than 30MPG is not good by modern standards)

That French guy who lives in the Netherlands and speaks German.

This isn't news to me, or most anyone I know. This tech has been around a long time, for a different purpose originally; high performance luxury vehicles I think, noise reduction (Opposing frequencies) when cruising. It's very difficult to tame a twin turbo V8 to not drive you insane with it's drone on the highway.

Anyway, I'm amazed that I keep seeing this nonsense fake news story pop up everywhere, it's NOT news. They do NOT hide this, go to any Ford, VW, Audi, Merc, BMW dealer, they can't wait to brag about their technology. I went through this buying both my Audi, and my Ford, nobody is hiding this!

Also, why not have technology that makes the car sound as if it has an epic, high-flow intake and exhaust, rather than actually having said mods installed; you have the sound you want, and the silence you want, and your not destroying your bank account or the environment.

I'm a bit of a gear-head, I've raced for 17 years now; from my perspective at least, this is a complete joke, a manufactured news story that means nothing. It's incredible to me that people exist who take offense, like they've been lied to. Everyone needs something to bitch about... **Of course I'm absolutely not referencing anyone here, mostly the nonsense I see shared across social media, mostly Gawker, their post about this was pathetic. Nobody who is reporting on this ever made a single attempt to contact any of the aforementioned auto manufacturers for comment; this is 'not' journalism, it's click-bait bullshit, forgive my language but I hate the state of journalism right now.

EDIT: The OP should edit the header, Ford isn't lying to anyone about this. If you disagree, get some evidence, until then, this is false; the irony is the realization people spreading this story around are indeed the liars.  It's incredible how people are completely addicted to serfdom; they'll believe just about anything.

Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the ‘transcendent’ and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don’t be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.

This isnt anything new? Many newer cars do this. Including BMW.

This has been around for a long time. I wouldn't mind it in my new golf wagon. It's waaay too quiet..

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Yep thats true. Tho the engine stil does make a good sound, the "fake" sound in your cabin is to "improve your experience". I would personally rather have a better exhaust or some mechanical way to improve it rather than hearing it through speakers

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Alright, polls up. I personally think that better sound through speakers is just ridiculous.